New firmware 1.4 available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just (Nov 2) received an email from somebody at Leica, whose name I shall not divulge, to the effect that:

"If you're on the fence about upgrading, you might hold off until you see more posts. It's still a developing story here."

Do you mind explaining what "see more posts" means in this context? See more posts on the forum describing issues with the new firmware?

I don't think it fair for me to press somebody who has suggested that a fix may be on its way.

Time will tell.

Sorry, but I suggested nothing of the kind, not sure why you'd say that really.

Your post seemed to paraphrase the words, and so I was merely seeking an explanation of what "posts" you were talking about.

Thanks Dunk.

And yes, too quick onto the keyboard.

I mounted the lens, and as soon as I turned the camera on it said it was updating the lens firmware.

All is good, and it looks a nice lens, similar to the X-Vario even.

Shot handheld at the 56mm setting as close as it would go. I have yet to work out how I will attach the Elpro system, but I will, bet on it.

Gary

You could try wrapping some plumbers PTFE tape around the Elpro's 44mm male thread and then screw it into a 46mm to 52mm stepping ring. 

dunk

• Like 1

Oh oh... There's a similar problem with shutter speed. I have the 23mm/T/Summicron mounted and in AF mode - but *manual* exposure (with auto ISO).

I set my shutter speed to 125 and half-press shutter to acquire focus and low and behold - the shutter speed value changes in the display (EVF and LCD) - seems to raise by 1 EV. Final image shows the selected shutter speed and appears to be properly exposed - so this doesn't seem like a show stopper.

I find the same result in Shutter priority mode. This is intermittent and doesn't always seem to occur (better after powering off/on).

Edited by Guest

to rpopescu:

I think you misunderstood:

I was not paraphrasing ... I did use quotation marks.

I won't know what the posts are until I see them.

I didn't suggest that YOU suggested anything. I simply wrote that "I dont think it fair for ME ..."

I hope that clears things up.

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John, according to this dictionary and the general understanding of the expression "to the effect that", you were paraphrasing. A direct quote is usually left without any such qualifying expressions, or purposefully marked as a direct quote to remove any ambiguity.

Also, thank you for your answer, now it's clear that what the "posts" refer to is unclear :)

Regarding firmware issues - I have a loaner T (from a shop), and it came with the latest firmware, so I'm not sure whether this problem has been present previously:

- I have auto review duration set to Off

- sometimes I shoot a photo and quickly swipe to review it, very likely during the time it is still being written to the card

- LCD looses touch responsiveness, and the only way to restore it is to switch off and back on.

Is this an old one?

Ironically, some executives of Leica that visit Singapore recently they were confident over their new firmware on the T "You will like it". Yesterday I went for some night shots and all the errors/bugs describe on this topic it happened.

My questions is, Does the people in Germany use different cameras o different production cameras of the T to test their software/firmware?. Do they really go out for a day and test that the firmware is working properly? I believe that they test all in a computer matrix or software and thats it plus one click. If it takes a picture is ready to go.

I will offer my self to go work for them as a Director of Quality Control for Leica Camara for USERS. I don't think they try all the variants use by users (Enthusiast, Amateurs and Professionals) I bet you Software Engineers, Marketing Director and some others will go out in record time! 

I love my Leica Cameras and I will continue to have them but This time they really PO!!!!!

Still very pleased, with the settings that I have everything seems to work fine!  And the 18-56mm feels like a new lens!

The update almost made it feel like a new camera. It would have been great if at least the focus was this fast at introduction, since it was only a firmware change

Are you saying that you camera is flawless? That your camera on Full manual mode has not present problems when you select let say F8 @ 6 seconds and once you taking the pictures is showing you F7.1 @ 4 sec? Either my camera is fake or the firmware I got form Leica Web Site is also fake.

That the camera turn on fast, yes, but so far, focus has more problems, the screen becomes not responsive, information display on the screen is wrong, Live view is not showing WYSIWYG as on the previous firmware version...And I can go on.

• Like 1

Ironically, some executives of Leica that visit Singapore recently they were confident over their new firmware on the T "You will like it". Yesterday I went for some night shots and all the errors/bugs describe on this topic it happened.

My questions is, Does the people in Germany use different cameras o different production cameras of the T to test their software/firmware?. Do they really go out for a day and test that the firmware is working properly? I believe that they test all in a computer matrix or software and thats it plus one click. If it takes a picture is ready to go.

I will offer my self to go work for them as a Director of Quality Control for Leica Camara for USERS. I don't think they try all the variants use by users (Enthusiast, Amateurs and Professionals) I bet you Software Engineers, Marketing Director and some others will go out in record time!

I love my Leica Cameras and I will continue to have them but This time they really PO!!!!!

Nothing replaces a REAL field test. Full stop.

Hope they will learn that but feel it will be the hard way.

• Like 1

I don't understand why it's necessary to jump to conclusions.

Frankly, assuming that field tests were not performed for something as big as firmware update that has changes to the auto-focus system and lens firmwares is simply ridiculous.

Like with most software, the decision to release the firmware is taken based on a number of factors, weighing the pros and cons, and it is sufficient to decide that the pros outweigh the cons to end up with a release decision.

It's not a black and white (no pun intended) situation, where it's either perfect or it doesn't get out.

FYI, my live view is just fine. And yes, it has bugs in displaying some values, but does that outweigh the benefits for AF users (of which I am not one)? I think so, and apparently at least someone else did think the same.

Frankly, assuming that field tests were not performed for something as big as firmware update that has changes to the auto-focus system and lens firmwares is simply ridiculous.

Like with most software, the decision to release the firmware is taken based on a number of factors, weighing the pros and cons, and it is sufficient to decide that the pros outweigh the cons to end up with a release decision.

It's not a black and white (no pun intended) situation, where it's either perfect or it doesn't get out.

FYI, my live view is just fine. And yes, it has bugs in displaying some values, but does that outweigh the benefits for AF users (of which I am not one)? I think so, and apparently at least someone else did think the same.

Your opinion is very respectable. Although  I do believe that nothing will be perfect I do believe that High Standards need to be across all sections on a such respectable company as Leica. If an error so obvious like the display values are in front of their eyes, how that can be acceptable for release a firmware? Is not worth to wait other 15 days or a month? I can't imagine telling my client that what they are seeing on a way underexpose picture doesn't affect the output of the final result because i will correct it later in photoshop! Sorry, doesn't work for me that way. But as I said, I respect your comments.  

REAL field tests are external field tests run with customers. Absolutely nothing replaces Customer feedback.

Remember this thread ? http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/233686-beta-testers-wanted-for-new-leica-t-firmware/

Displaying unreliable informations is a major problem, because it leads to a loss of trust in the product and, as a side-effect, the brand.

I'm not going to argue against your perception of this update, merely state that you have no idea in fact how testing was done and why the decision taken, and that thread you pointed to is irrelevant.

If you prefer to think that Leica didn't do testing properly, that's fine. I'm just saying that's a very unrealistic proposition.

Are you saying that you camera is flawless? That your camera on Full manual mode has not present problems when you select let say F8 @ 6 seconds and once you taking the pictures is showing you F7.1 @ 4 sec? Either my camera is fake or the firmware I got form Leica Web Site is also fake.

That the camera turn on fast, yes, but so far, focus has more problems, the screen becomes not responsive, information display on the screen is wrong, Live view is not showing WYSIWYG as on the previous firmware version...And I can go on.

No. It isn't perfect. The Standard auto ficus is much faster and better I low light. The interface is more responsive. I it would be a lot better if the they could ready fix the new bugs. Inn my years of owning a 5d, I don't recall firmware updates still not fixing bugs of such magnitude bb

• Like 1