Portraits and the Q's 28mm lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any comments regarding your experiences with portraits and the Q's 28mm lens.  Despite the unobtrusiveness of the Q, one has to position themselves extremely close to the subject so they do not include to most of the background.  

Have you found getting near a person (with a 28mm lens) to be a photographic problem or not? Thank you. 

I'm not sure if you're asking about 28mm being unflattering or if it's a problem simply because you have to get so close?  As a street photographer, I try to work close to my subjects anyhow, and compared to 35mm which I'm accustomed to, I do notice I need to step in even closer to get the same shot.  If you really want to have your subject fill the frame then you have to get very close as you might imagine.  

So far I haven't noticed a whole lot of issue with distortion, although I do think there might be some at the corners but I don't have enough samples yet to prove it.

This is the image I have that makes me think the kids look a little cone-headed, but my camera is inches from their faces in this shot too.

20151022-RKP-0355.jpg

• Like 1

Straight up portraits, no problem.

21844539294_339d5c36c3_m.jpgLouise by dancook1982, on Flickr

21807589735_ae11ec6bf6_m.jpgFear and Loathing in Bramley by dancook1982, on Flickr

These are great shots(as usual) curious, did you crop in at all, mostly wondering if the shot 'Louise' is as framed in the lens? Personally I've not seen any issues with portraits, I do however try to watch what's in the corners. 

• Like 2

These are great shots(as usual) curious, did you crop in at all, mostly wondering if the shot 'Louise' is as framed in the lens? Personally I've not seen any issues with portraits, I do however try to watch what's in the corners.

It looks like I did crop on the Louise one, i'd say not a great deal though.

Doug - 4000 x 6000 (no crop)

Louise - 3360 x 4933

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Speaking generally, the 28mm focal length is better when used for environmental portraits which include valuable context. Also, avoid placing a face or oval object too near the edges of the frame. If you do, expect unacceptable distortion, attributable entirely to the law of physics, not the focal length or lens quality.

• Like 1

It looks like I did crop on the Louise one, i'd say not a great deal though.

Doug - 4000 x 6000 (no crop)

Louise - 3360 x 4933

Do you find that people become annoyed when you get that close for a portrait? I have concern about that potential issue and the 28mm. Thanks. 

Do you find that people become annoyed when you get that close for a portrait? I have concern about that potential issue and the 28mm. Thanks.

I'm sure it'll vary between individual, but my wife and my colleague - no.

When I had a DSLR with some wide aperture primes, some people are concerned about the size of the glass - thinking the bigger it is the more flaws it will show up.

I've so far found the Leica Q great for intimate situations, people do not find it obtrusive like a DSLR.

• Like 4

Most of my personal photographic work is street photography for which i use my D800 with a 50mm 1.4 Nikkor and the 24-70 Nikkor, so i always had a "nice" amount of distance between me and the subjects but as i approach the people directly there was always some kind of interaction.

I was aware that when using the Q i had to get really close so i look at it like a challenge i have to master and until now i am really loving it!

here are some shots i made with my Q so far:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

and two other shots...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

I've used the Q for a while now as 50mm.

Setting the 50mm frame and using it as a 50mm, with the advantage that if I miss a shoulder or something, the rest of the 28mm frame is till there. 

I've had to force myself to do so. The urge to grab a M and a 50mm is still very strong.

But it's interting to work with the Q and see how it will perform as a 50mm camera. 

Edited by Overgaard
  • Like 4

That guy Bruce Gilden seems exceptionally aggressive. One or two people (maybe more, I had to stop watching) seemed really frightened by having a camera thrust up so close to them, not to mention the shock of the flash (one old lady, in particular). The style seemed to me to verge on aggressive. Am I the only one who reads it that way?

• Like 2

That guy Bruce Gilden seems exceptionally aggressive. 

He is, but he's a product of an older New York and has built a career around it. He photographs the way old New York cab drivers drive. That's his schtick.  ;)

He's also a pretty imposing character but I would expect to have many arguments and a few fights on the streets of London if I shot the way he does.

Amazingly enough, he got model releases for all the portraits in 'Face'

Edited by Rapierwitman
  • Like 1