Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have for sale a brand-new Billingham 307 in Black FyberNyte fabric. I bought it and realized that I was able to make do with what I already have.

Check out this review, where the reviewer uses this bag for his SL system:

http://findingrange.com/2018/03/22/billingham-307-bag-review-when-smaller-just-wont-do/

I paid $496.00 a months ago and the bag is 100% mint, Asking: $396.00 shipped within the USA

*More photos available upon request**

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Arvin, I got a Wotancraft Commander two years ago. It looks very cool and well made but I found it quirky and not well thought through for photography for my purposes. I can't remember the details, but one of the things was that the gear was difficult to access. I got rid of the bag quickly.

Matt

• Like 1

I’ve got the new version of the Commander. They’ve widened the openings on the side so that I can fit 2 SL bodies with lenses in the bottom section, leaving the to section empty. I can also get 1 SL with the 90-280 attached in the bottom section by itself. I am taking it to Kenya with me in July so, haven’t tested it out yet. It’s a wonderfully made bag but, like every other bag, not perfect.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

B&H has this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034949-REG/domke_j_heral_vk_herald_canvas_khaki_black.html on sale for the next day or so at a significant discount. It looks like a F-803 stachel on steroids, and the price is OK, so it might be worth a look.

It is still discounted from $100 to $119 which is a great deal. I think though I am going to go with a Tenba Cooper 15 slim.

I have the Tenba Cooper 13"DSLR - the exterior measurements are: 14.5" x 10.5" x 6.5"

The Tenba Cooper 15" Slim's exterior measurements are:        16" x 11.5" x 5.5"

I find the 6.5" width perfect for the SL and wonder if 5.5" would be kind of snug - but I have never used the 15 Slim. 

I see the standard Tenba Cooper 15's width is 8" which sounds really big.

I guess you try one and if's not suitable you can exchange it for another size.  :)

I have the Tenba Cooper 13"DSLR - the exterior measurements are: 14.5" x 10.5" x 6.5"

The Tenba Cooper 15" Slim's exterior measurements are:        16" x 11.5" x 5.5"

I find the 6.5" width perfect for the SL and wonder if 5.5" would be kind of snug - but I have never used the 15 Slim. 

I see the standard Tenba Cooper 15's width is 8" which sounds really big.

I guess you try one and if's not suitable you can exchange it for another size.  :)

I have the Cooper 13 slim and used it for a two week trip to Scotland. It was a little snug but for transporting it was fine. If I am using the camera it is around my neck. I also carried an M10 and two lens in the bag with my SL and attached 24/90. I now use the 13 slim for an X1D kit.

I’m sorry but, I am out of town until next week. If you go to the wotancraft website they detail the changes. I know they’ve got an internal frame for more structure, enlarged the side openings and use a newer, tougher waterproof fabric. They show the bag with the sl bodies on the website

• Like 1

I received three Billingham bags for a review last week. The Hadley Large Pro seems like a nice bag for the SL with big lenses. Good thing is that you can even slide a 15" Macbook in.

The newer Hadley One noted above is smaller, yet still holds the SL with zooms and 15” laptop (despite specs showing 13”) and has various improvements (laptop padding and more insert options, weatherproof zippers, removable strap, trolley sleeve, etc).

I don’t own one, but the reviews are impressive.

Jeff

I do have the Hadley One. In Green/Khaki. 

I love it so much that it has become my every day bag for the office, displacing the Tumi or the Wandrd backpack. 

I think the SL and zoom lens plus one other large lens fits in it, as well as my 15" laptop, however I have a Sony 7 in there at the moment as my walk around camera. 

I have the Hadley one and Hadley Large.  I also use a SL, with the two main zooms and 50SL.  The Hadley one isn't tall enough for the 90-280.  It sticks out.  I suppose you could lay it but for me thats awkward for that type of bag.  The Hadley large hold the 90-280 with no issues vertically and I can  fit the other two lenses, one with the SL attached as well.  I can also attach the SL to the 90-280 and put it in the large.  It barely fits but does and you can close the top.  I wish the large had a handle. I had the Large Pro but returned it. It so deep.  It fits the SL and 280 attached with no issues.  I actually didn't like how deep it was.  I also didnt like the buckle.  If I was going to carry that kit a distance, I'd use a back pack.  My type of shooting is urban landscapes and other types of shots where I don't need to walk a large distance, so a shoulder bag isn't bad to carry. I hope that helps.

Odd that you cannot fit the 90-280 mm lens upright  in the Hadley One as I can do so in my Hadley One.  No extra room (top to bottom) but it fits perfectly.  The bag is only a few months old and I bought it on the specific advice of a Hadley employee.  Maybe the first generation Hadley One was a tad shorter in height (?).  Mark W.

Odd that you cannot fit the 90-280 mm lens upright  in the Hadley One as I can do so in my Hadley One.  No extra room (top to bottom) but it fits perfectly.  The bag is only a few months old and I bought it on the specific advice of a Hadley employee.  Maybe the first generation Hadley One was a tad shorter in height (?).  Mark W.

I stand corrected. I guess you can.  I never actually tried to close it.  

• 2 weeks later...