Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

This might be big enough .....  has the appropriate logo too ....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  1. SL plus Summicron-R 90 plus Summicron-R 35 (or similar):: Billingham L2
  2. SL plus Summicron-R 90 plus Summicron-R 35 plus Elmarit-R 24 or Elmar-R 180 (or similar) :: Black Label Bag 'Oskar's One Day Bag mark II'
  3. SL plus Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 plus APO Vario-Elmarit 90-280 (or similar) :: Pelican 510 Roll-Away hard case

No way I'm hanging the SL with those larger lenses on my shoulder for any length of time, although for brief carries, a Tenba Messenger (or the Cooper 13/15 models) would do fine.

Even more ideal: find a hearty young assistant to carry it for you ...  :rolleyes:

Edited by ramarren

SL is 100% sealed, so no bag needed.

But what I am wondering is, which one is THEE strap to put on ????

....and how does the lenscap work???

Well, I like a bag because I nearly always have other stuff to carry as well (lenses, accessories, other photo and personal items, etc), and I hate shoving things into trouser and jacket pockets. 

THE STRAP: Right now, I'm using the supplied neck strap on the SL. It's similar in design to the R neck strap that I like with a broad-ish, non-slip rubberized portion that's tough but pliant neoprene based material. However, I'm not crazy about how it tangles up because I don't really keep a camera around my neck very much, I use the strap more wrapped around my wrist and forearm, and I stuff the camera in and out of the bag frequently. What I use on my other cameras is a Street Strap (soft, strong nylon/acrylic cord with leather ends) but I don't see any of those with the appropriate tape-style ends that fits the SL properly. These kinds of straps do not tangle.

A&A does make a strap of the type I'm interested in that I will try. It's the ACAM-305 Silk Cord strap: very strong, very light, but also very expensive. It's a silk cord similar to the Street Strap but probably stronger and lighter, with tape-ends rather than steel split rings. It's just a bit expensive at $150, but that seems somewhat trivial given the cost of the camera. 

I'm not sure what your last question means. It's a clip-on type lens cap with center-pinches so you can fit it or remove it with the lens hood either on or off. 

Sadly even with the hood off, it will not fit in my elderly Billingham-M, which is about as big a bag as I am prepared to carry and after 15 years (it was a freebie with my M7), although a bit dirty and stained is still in excellent working order. So as Bab said, I might need to go bagless and just carry a plastic bag to put it in, if the environment gets very wet or dusty. The Artist and Artisan bags look nice but I don't like black bags as the contents tend to get too hot. 

Sadly even with the hood off, it will not fit in my elderly Billingham-M, which is about as big a bag as I am prepared to carry and after 15 years (it was a freebie with my M7), although a bit dirty and stained is still in excellent working order. So as Bab said, I might need to go bagless and just carry a plastic bag to put it in, if the environment gets very wet or dusty. The Artist and Artisan bags look nice but I don't like black bags as the contents tend to get too hot. 

Thats interesting. I always thought the Billy-M was the same size as the L2 Alice, just a different front pocket arrangement, and it does fit in the L2 (albeit snugly). 

Thats interesting. I always thought the Billy-M was the same size as the L2 Alice, just a different front pocket arrangement, and it does fit in the L2 (albeit snugly). 

I think the L2 Alice (? now replaced by the Aperture 2.8) is deeper than the M Billy. The 2.8 Aperture is 120mm deep front to rear internally against only 90mm for the M. The SL is about 108mm tall, so definitely will not fit, as I have just tried it again. I don't like bags without a top grab handle and had my local sadler make one for my M (see photo below, taken with the SL of course). Most of the smaller Billinghams don't have this. The smallest one that does is the Hadley Pro, which would fit the SL. I would like to see one before I made any decision on it. I do have two Billingham pouches for additional lenses, which fit on the outside of their bags, so if I was going to buy another bag, it would make sense to stick to that make.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like the top handle on your Billy M. 

A quick measurement: the Billingham L2 "Alice" main compartment is about 9 1/2" x 5 3/4" x 4". Here are a couple of photos of the SL in there: 

fitted with 24-90mm howitzer
SL-24to90.jpg

fitted with Summilux-R 50, Elmar-R 180/4 alongside
SL-50_180.jpg

Sorry for the cheesy photos ... just used my desk lamp and the X to snap them. :-)