Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I should have predicted this would happen... I had a clear plan: My longest lens would be the R 80-200 plus adapter. No way would I buy the SL 90-280 - ever! So I took out the measuring tape and concluded a Billingham F1.4 would be big enough. And if the load got too heavy I would use a Peak everyday backpack instead. A solid plan so I bought the F1.4, which is just lovely, in Fibrenyte, and does exactly what I was looking for. 

But then, disaster struck, I could not resist the SL 90-280 after all. From a lens perspective I could not be happier, but what about my bag strategy? I am debating two options: The sensible is to stick with what I have and, by definition, use the Peak whenever the 90-280 comes along. Or replace the next to brand new F1.4 - for no fault of its own - with a Hadley Large. Other Billingham models seem either too large or too small. Other brands will not be considered. The downside of the Hadley Large is that it seems too large when the tele zoom does not come along. It is because of scenarios like this that most of us end up with so many bags 😳

I am interested in your real life experience with the SL 90-280 in a Hadley Large. Too big, too heavy, or just right? Oh, and do PM me if you are considering a F1.4 for Christmas... 😉 

Edited by Per P.
  • Haha 1

I have the Hadley One along with the Hadley One Full Size Insert.  I comfortably carry in this bag the following:  Leica SL body with 24-90mm lens mounted, 16-35mm lens, 90-280mm lens & accessories.  I bought this bag based on the advice of Billingham support when I told them what I wanted to carry.  It is a beautiful bag but the one minor fault I find it does not balance symmetrically, so when I place it down it tends to lean/fall forward (towards the two outside pockets).  There is a sleeve for a 13" laptop towards the inside (body side) of the bag, so my guess is the weight literally leans towards the front (outside pockets).  After a year of regular use it still looks brand new. A second fault I find is that it takes two hands to unsnap the main cover, one to pull the leather strap down & a second to slide it up & off of the brass toggle.  But all-in-all I am happy with the bag.   Mark Weidman

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hmarkweidman

Furthermore, here is a response I received from Billingham when I specified the Leica SL gear I planned to carry in the bag - (I had first asked about the Hadley Pro)

Unfortunately the Hadley Pro would be too small for that gear as the 90-280mm lens is too long for the height of the bag.

In terms of what would fit that gear, all these should work for you:

- Hadley One with optional full size insert (this would be the nicest option I think)
- Hadley Large
- Hadley Large Pro
- Eventer

Thank you very much Mark, this is super helpful. I came to the same conclusion that the Hadley Pro would be repeating my initial mistake a second time. I have no intention of carrying a laptop so I think it is safe to go for the Hadley Large in my case. I did once have a Hadley Small and it also had a slight tendency to lean/fall forward so probably a family weakness.

24 minutes ago, Per P. said:

Thank you very much Mark, this is super helpful. I came to the same conclusion that the Hadley Pro would be repeating my initial mistake a second time. I have no intention of carrying a laptop so I think it is safe to go for the Hadley Large in my case. I did once have a Hadley Small and it also had a slight tendency to lean/fall forward so probably a family weakness.

The Hadley One is a newer bag with better features IMO than the Hadley Large.  It’s smaller (but bigger than the Pro), has a removable shoulder strap along with a better padded handle, a more weather sealed rear compartment with upgraded rain proof zipper, a trolley sleeve for transport, a better padded laptop area (not a problem if you don’t use it), and multiple insert configurations (one or two half-inserts or one full insert).  

There are many online videos comparing the bags if you Google.  Of course the best way to decide is to try options from a reputable dealer with your gear.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I have found this thread interesting because I have been searching for a functional bag for my SL and, like many of you, I have a closet full of camera bags that I either liked at the time of purchase or have outgrown.  Among the collection are four Billingham bags (Hadley small, 335, 555 and a bag made specifically for the Leica M).  None of them are ":just right" for the SL and, in addition, these bags are not designed for squick access.  After a lengthy Internet review—no local stores to peruse—I ordered and received this AM an Oberwerth Munchen.  It is undoubtedly a beautifully made, sturdy bag,  But once I inserted my SL with its normally attached 24-90mm F/2.8-F/4 zoom, I found that there was little room for anything else.  Furthermore, the front pockets, although expandable to some extent, cannot be overfilled, otherwise the top will not close properly.  For $1,000.00 I would have expected an adjustable closure mechanism.  Not sure if it's a keeper yet.  That said, an odd find consists of a leather bag from Amazon—Vintage Rustic Look Leather Camera Messenger Bag by Basic Gear.  It's made in India and holds the SL plus accessories and has a centrally located top handle, shoulder strap and adjustable closure mechanism, all for $125.00. Its only downside is that the bottom is not reinforced, and while a lighter camera might feel right at home inside, I an concerned that the SL might be a tad too heavy for its construction.  But I liked it so much that I've purchased two for lighter cameras systems.  BTW, the Oberwerth has a reinforced base and will not sag with the weight of the SL or cameras of similar weight.

Edited by ron777

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got the Trakke Bannoch bag with the custom insert and it is probably the nicest bag I have come across, Not heavy but sturdy and well padded. I haven't test-run it yet but i think it will be great for the SL.

23 hours ago, ron777 said:

I have found this thread interesting because I have been searching for a functional bag for my SL and, like many of you, I have a closet full of camera bags that I either liked at the time of purchase or have outgrown.  Among the collection are four Billingham bags (Hadley small, 335, 555 and a bag made specifically for the Leica M).  None of them are ":just right" for the SL and, in addition, these bags are not designed for squick access.  After a lengthy Internet review—no local stores to peruse—I ordered and received this AM an Oberwerth Munchen.  It is undoubtedly a beautifully made, sturdy bag,  But once I inserted my SL with its normally attached 24-90mm F/2.8-F/4 zoom, I found that there was little room for anything else.  Furthermore, the front pockets, although expandable to some extent, cannot be overfilled, otherwise the top will not close properly.  For $1,000.00 I would have expected an adjustable closure mechanism.  Not sure if it's a keeper yet.  That said, an odd find consists of a leather bag from Amazon—Vintage Rustic Look Leather Camera Messenger Bag by Basic Gear.  It's made in India and holds the SL plus accessories and has a centrally located top handle, shoulder strap and adjustable closure mechanism, all for $125.00. Its only downside is that the bottom is not reinforced, and while a lighter camera might feel right at home inside, I an concerned that the SL might be a tad too heavy for its construction.  But I liked it so much that I've purchased two for lighter cameras systems.  BTW, the Oberwerth has a reinforced base and will not sag with the weight of the SL or cameras of similar weight.

Similarly to Ron I also ordered an Oberwerth not so long ago. This was supposedly designed with an M in mind so off topic. However, long story short, compared with a Billingham I found it way too fitted and inflexible so returned it. This is the reason I stated that no other brand will be considered. While not for everyone, Billingham is my choice. And, based on this thread, if I decide a shoulder bag is right for the big guns (which I tend to think) it will be the Hadley One. Thanks again to all contributors. 

Tried almost everything for the SL and came to the conclusion that anything more than the body+ zoom and an extra lens was impractical in a shoulder bag unless you want to become permanently lopsided. After a brief foray into Peak Designs Backpacks (could never remember where I had put anything) I have to confess I've ended up with a trio of Mindshift Backlights ..... the 18l for the CL, trio of zooms, filters and a small tripod, the 26l for a mix of both SL and CL gear + filters, and the 36l for the trio of SL zooms, CL and filters. The actual weight differences between the larger two when loaded is not that much, it's just that there is room to fit the 90-280 easily and the back is expandable to fit a down jacket and other light but bulky stuff. Like many others I have never found a single bag that will do everything all of the time without being either sometimes too small, too heavy, too awkward to use or too big for airline use.  Let's see if I can manage 6 months without having to buy another one ...... :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Per P. said:

Similarly to Ron I also ordered an Oberwerth not so long ago. This was supposedly designed with an M in mind so off topic. However, long story short, compared with a Billingham I found it way too fitted and inflexible so returned it. This is the reason I stated that no other brand will be considered. While not for everyone, Billingham is my choice. And, based on this thread, if I decide a shoulder bag is right for the big guns (which I tend to think) it will be the Hadley One. Thanks again to all contributors. 

Hi Per P,

As noted, I own several Billingham bags, and found that aside from their fiddly closure mechanism, they are somewhat weighty and slow on the draw.  That said, I too had considered the Hadley One, but it has the same button down closure as all other Billingham's—dislike that feature immensely—and is about the same size internally as the Oberwerth Munchen, albeit it, less costly.  I have configured the Munchen for the SL with 24-90mm attached and, as such, there is room for one more SL lens, or possibly 2 M lenses.  I have decided that the all leather bag is a keeper.  As for my Billingham harem, they're stored on a shelf collecting dust.

But Thighslapper is correct in his assessment, no single bag is perfect.  It really does appear that the designers of said bags have little photographic experience, their phones likely representing the pinnacle of image gathering devices.  Two wit, the apparently common practice of placing a handle off center, towards the rear of the bag's cover.  I can only assume that it is done to avoid having to reinforce the top to support the handle and the attendant weight of the bag's contents.  It defies logic and makes for a lopsided carry.

Edited by ron777
  • Haha 1

I actually don't have a problem with the Billingham closure mechanism. Sure, Thighslapper is correct and I guess a big difference is that each of us typically try to make a bag work for one system, namely what we own, whereas the manufacturer try to make them flexible to broaden the customer base and sell more bags.

9 minutes ago, Per P. said:

I actually don't have a problem with the Billingham closure mechanism. Sure, Thighslapper is correct and I guess a big difference is that each of us typically try to make a bag work for one system, namely what we own, whereas the manufacturer try to make them flexible to broaden the customer base and sell more bags.

Of course, profit—in the form of sales—is the name of the game.  And I agree, in re the internal structure of the bags and their system specificity, but most of us look for the same external features in a, for example, shoulder bag. Such as a centrally located carry handle on top for short distance carry, external pockets for small object storage, easy access to internal contents, etc. But even many of the boutique bag makers have ignored, for example, the external side pockets in some models, likely in an attempt to create variation of product, because the omission makes no sense otherwise.  Actually, some of the least costly bags appear to provide the greatest flexibility, but their longevity is called into question.  In the end, whatever works for the individual is all that counts.  I for one have given up on carrying every accessory owned for a given camera system, since they are rarely required and I seek to lighten the load.  Therefore, in regards to daily carry bags, the smaller the better.

Mine is not really a bag per se, but the Pelican 1535 with Trekpak.  Love this combination as it allows me to quickly customise my layout as the need arises.  

• Like 1

I bought the Tenba Trifecta 10 backpack specifically for the SL + 24-90 + 90-280 + Super-Elmer-R 15mm kit. Fits perfectly, works perfectly: comfortable to wear, distributes the weight nicely, and is easy to get in and out of. As fate would have it, shortly after I received it I decided that I wasn't using the SL kit enough and sold it. 

The end result is that I have a new, unused Trifecta 10 backpack sitting in the closet and available for sale to anyone who needs one. If you're interested, send me a private message. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

I bought the Tenba Trifecta 10 backpack specifically for the SL + 24-90 + 90-280 + Super-Elmer-R 15mm kit. Fits perfectly, works perfectly: comfortable to wear, distributes the weight nicely, and is easy to get in and out of. As fate would have it, shortly after I received it I decided that I wasn't using the SL kit enough and sold it. 

The end result is that I have a new, unused Trifecta 10 backpack sitting in the closet and available for sale to anyone who needs one. If you're interested, send me a private message. :D

Hopefully for less than the mere 60 bucks you paid, with free shipping, almost a year ago. :)

Jeff

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

I found a Think Tank Trifecta 10 but no Tenba.