Can SL lens be used on T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

By now, we all know that SL accepts T lenses, but how about the SL lenses to be used on T.

I know it is not very practical mainly for size and price and it is not designed for that, but this is more of a technical /optics curiosity rather than a real one. 

M and R lenses are full frame lenses and can be mounted and used on T with the adapter, so I would guess it should be possible with SL as well without any adapter. 

Could SL lens  work in crop mode, or there is something in the lens design that stops that (lens firmware, autofocus)? 

Edited by theazimuth

By now, we all know that SL accepts T lenses, but how about the SL lenses to be used on T.

Sure, it is the same mount after all. Right now it may not make much sense but once the portfolio of SL lenses will be more comprehensive there might be uses for SL lenses on the T. A T owner might not be tempted to buy an SL lens but if you happen to own both a T and an SL then why not?

• Like 1

The T, even with its limitations, is also a 'considerably-better-then-nothing' back-up body that can sit in the bag for someone unable to stretch to two SL bodies. Were I an SL user (and I don't rule out the possibility, even with my prejudice against EVFs), the availability of a much cheaper back-up option using the same mount (what's a used T worth nowadays?) is a real plus point for the new camera.

Edited by wattsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The T, even with its limitations, is also a 'considerably-better-then-nothing' back-up body that can sit in the bag for someone unable to stretch to two SL bodies. Were I an SL user (and I don't rule out the possibility, even with my prejudice against EVFs), the availability of a much cheaper back-up option using the same mount (what's a used T worth nowadays?) is a real plus point for the new camera.

Interestingly (perhaps), like you, and despite my reservations, I don't rule out owning an SL one day.

Perhaps we're the real market for this camera: the non-committed.

• Like 1

Perhaps we're the real market for this camera: the non-committed.

I don't know about being one of the "non-committed" but I know that my interest (and inability to rule out the camera) is informed by fanboyism and a liking for the kind of products that Leica make. For example, I occasionally still glance an eye at the somewhat ludicrous T camera and wonder whether it might make an interesting option for my M lenses. And this is even after having tried the camera out once (with the 23mm prime) and disliking virtually everything about it. :D

My interest in the SL is a little more rational. I like the idea of having a single camera that could replace my Nikon DSLR and also provide an alternative platform for my M lenses. It would also bring my entire photographic kit back under one roof, so to speak (I only relatively recently branched out into Nikon in order to accomplish certain tasks that my M system is unsuited to), but that is not really a pressing need and would probably represent a step back in photographic capability terms (the Nikon DSLR and small handful of Nikon AFS lenses I own is a super piece of kit). The truth is that pondering the possibilities is probably just part of the "gearhead" side of my interest in things photographic. When I am actually taking photographs, the gear I am using (or could be using) no longer seems so very interesting.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

It would be fun to mount the 90-280 on the T. At the tele end with the effective FOV of a 420 that would be great for birds and wildlife.  There are these two estuaries near where I live that I enjoy watching but never can capture even with a lens that effectively has been the FOV of a 200mm.

Edited by bencoyote

It would be fun to mount the 90-280 on the T. At the tele end with the effective FOV of a 420 that would be great for birds and wildlife.  There are these two estuaries near where I live that I enjoy watching but never can capture even with a lens that effectively has been the FOV of a 200mm.

I wonder if it will bend the body if it is not supported properly  :)

I wonder if it will bend the body if it is not supported properly  :)

I'm thinking that will be more of a lens holds the camera vs a camera holds the lens situation. Hand holding anything more than about a 200 gets kind of tricky anyway. I've done effectively a 350mm before but that was m43 and that was much smaller. Still getting the shutter speed shorter than 1/350s (really ended up being 1/500) with a 5.6 and a low enough ISO (in that case <=1600 at the most) to look good was non-trivial without a tripod.

Side note: On my old camera I always thought it was interesting how there were only 3 shutter speeds I could use when trying to do this. 1/500 1/1000 and 1/2000.