Accessory Grip and wrist strap

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just discovered there's an optional accessory handgrip and handstrap which will be available in 2016. If I decide to buy the SL these would be a priority purchase to improve the ergonomics. I can carry my R9/DMR fitted with a zoom lens for several hours 'one handed' by virtue of its handstrap / grip. I could carry the SL fitted with my 21-35 R in the same way … provided the 21-35 R is a viable user with the camera. 

LEICA MULTIFUNCTION HAND GRIP SL

The multifunction grip simplifies handling for portrait format

pictures thanks to its form and appropriately positioned operating

elements. It also allows the use of an additional battery to increase

the capacity. Its attachment – with tripod screw - is quick and easy.

(Order no. 14 495)

WRIST STRAP FOR LEICA MULTIFUNCTION HAND GRIP SL

Together with the Leica Multifunction Hand Grip SL, this wrist strap

provides a secure hold on the camera, particularly when it is being

carried and when using long and heavy lenses.

(Order no. 14 495)

LEICA AUDIO

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/Accessories-Equipment

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Rather than wait for the Leica hand-strap, I suggest that you look at the Spider Camera Holster SpiderPro Hand Strap.  (search on Amazon - $65 USD)

I have one on my A7Rii and I'll certainly consider putting one on an SL.  Makes it very comfortable to carry and reduces the risk of dropping.   Even has a secondary strap to bind the camera to your wrist if you were in a "snatch risk zone" - although I removed it from mine.  The shape of the strap holds it firmly onto your wrist.  

Regards

Peter

My feeling is that the grip and hand strap is very much a studio accessory. It would work just fine for where you want to have your camera in hand for say 10 minutes at a time and also be doing other things with your free hand but can then put the camera down. I have tried using my various M's with a wrist strap but find they are too heavy to do this for hours at a time and have reverted to my usual Luigi neck straps (his current "silky" is by far the most comfortable and practical strap I have ever had, as it is flexible enough to be comfortably wrapped round your hand in addition to the round the neck or over the shoulder positions). I do use one of Luigi's wrist straps on my Olympus EP-5 but that is about one third of the weight of an M and large Leica lens or a quarter of the weight of the SL and standard zoom. I suspect I will be transferring my "silky" from my M240 to the SL and not buying the accessory grip, given that I don't do any studio work. Most inside work I do, is technical stuff with a tripod. 

Wilson

• 3 months later...

Acquired a s/h SL a few days ago and fitted a Cotton Carriers wrist strap which cost just £17.95. This particular strap unlikely to suit everyone  … it's not as comfortable as the wrist strap on my R9/DMR but for the £price it's OK. 

Pleased with the camera and eating more tinned sardines and porridge to justify the purchase  ;)   

Plan to use R lenses mainly with the SL.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best wishes

dunk

• 11 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Be warned. The grip is not as well built as the main body and it a long way from dust or weather proof. Check out the air gaps in the battery compartment cover: no apparent weather sealing whatsoever.  Instructions say 'spray and dust resistant' but not for prolonged use. I guess the resistance comes from the seal built in to the battery itself, but for some reason its not as good as that on the main camera body. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Craggs 101
  • Like 1

Be warned. The grip is not as well built as the main body and it a long way from dust or weather proof. Check out the air gaps in the battery compartment cover: no apparent weather sealing whatsoever.  Instructions say 'spray and dust resistant' but not for prolonged use. I guess the resistance comes from the seal built in to the battery itself, but for some reason its not as good as that on the main camera body. 

Also the seal is on the battery itself so sealing this door would be equivalent to a double seal...

Is there a strobe interface on this grip like on the MF grip for the M?

Be warned. The grip is not as well built as the main body and it a long way from dust or weather proof. Check out the air gaps in the battery compartment cover: no apparent weather sealing whatsoever. Instructions say 'spray and dust resistant' but not for prolonged use. I guess the resistance comes from the seal built in to the battery itself, but for some reason its not as good as that on the main camera body.

The battery seal to me looks the same as the battery seal in the camera body. Is there a difference that makes the hand grips seal less good..?

Could you also elaborate more on the build quality. You mention that the grip is not as well built as the body. I have a hand grip on back order so I'm really interested to know, don't want to go through with my order if It's sub quality...

Cheers,

//Johan

• 2 years later...

I'm in the process of acquiring a used SL and used grip to go with it -- they are making their way to me now. I'm persuaded by this thread so far that it's the battery's sealing which is key, and that that is uncompromised when installed in the grip. However, if I find myself concerned about sealing because of the air-gap around the end cap/door, I'd consider using a piece of gaffer-tape to cover it. That stuff is reusable several times before it has to be replaced, and a nice matte black piece would be all but invisible; while it's not 'waterproof' in the strict sense of the term, it would form a pretty good mechanical barrier to entry by dust and droplets. I currently use a square of such tape to immobilize the %$#$@*& frame selector lever on my M10, since it constantly wants to part company with the body.