Does the SL portend the end of a Leica line?

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let's take the purely rebadged cameras out of the equation. They are simply badge premiums.

But if we look at where Leica has and does put real RnD effort, in the past 18 months we have seen quite some output of new cameras - X, T, Q, SL. M still gets updates and new lenses. S still gets updates and new lenses.

I wonder if the SL portends some rationalisation across these lines. The SL competes with Sony, but either or both Nikon and Canon will be in this space too by 2016 I imagine, and the much smaller Leica business will have to pour much into SL to keep traction.

So, are we at the end of development for one of Leica's in house lines?

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting the topic is compulsory Steve. ;-)

But some members might find the subject interesting. All companies face strategic choices, and with the SL Leica has chosen to enter a segment in which it will need to dig deep to succeed. Can it do this without sacrificing other lines (or at least pausing their further development)? If not, what gets dropped?

No.  The SL is a different tool.  I loved the Leicaflex/R line, and lamented its demise.  However, it taught me to understand and appreciate the rangefinder (which ironically was my first camera 40+ yrs ago).  But the RF looses its usefulness below 28 and above 75mm for me.  I have trouble focusing and framing 90 or 135mm and I can't critically focus moving subjects through wide or R lenses with live view, try as I might.  I like to carry two cameras, so I see carrying the M for its sweet spot and the SL for longer lenses, and the occasional very wide shot.  Also, I have been hoping for a Leica platform for wildlife photography, for which the SL seems perfect (as well as sports).

Leica have stated that they will continue 3 lines of development:  Traditional, meaning M; Compact, meaning T and X; and Professional, meaning S and SL.  They're smart people and I'm sure they have developed a good business model.  As frustrating as measured rollouts can be, nobody is going to die as a result.  I'd rather have a well-conceived, well-made product with a 3 year cycle over 6 month obsolescence such as with Nikon or Canon any day.

• Like 3

So, are we at the end of development for one of Leica's in house lines?

No, we are not. The SL fills the gap left by the demise of the R system; nothing else has changed.

• Like 1