R lenses that fit SL

Sully

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Scott,

thanks for checking. So that's a relief that my camera seems to be the same as all others.

As far as I know there is already a list of R-lenses with faulty profiles. But where is it ? Who has put it together ? 

I did that.  I've dragged it back out from a thread here on the LUF at least once more.  And Leica's SL development team have had a copy since about the time that release 1.2 came out.  I'll review the list for obvious problems when the next firmware comes out. I hope the problems will all be cleared up then. That is about an hour's work, and can be done with one lens by just assigning each profile to it in turn and taking one exposure.  To check the profiles to see if they give a reasonable correction at several apertures is something that I will try to do for the lenses that I use (wide angles only) and is a lot more work.  One other easy thing to check is the EXIF entries for each lens, including the maximum aperture.  That can also be done without having a copy of each lens, one exposure per profile, reviewed in a raw file editor.  You can see the maximum aperture (not the EXIF entry with the "name" of the lens) by holding a finger over the "blue dot" that measures the outside light level.  If that entry is missing in internal tables, which happens from time to time, the firmware usually estimates 1.0.

scott 

• Like 1

Hello Scott,

thanks for checking. So that's a relief that my camera seems to be the same as all others.

What would you think about setting up a list of all versions of R-lenses together with the required (or recommended) corrections. As not all lenses are equal maybe even with adding how much variation is possible. And maybe putting it into the Wiki ...

That woud give us a place to check, without depending on Leica (the in camera implementation) or LR. That would make the knowledge a bit more independant of the camera firmware and the software level, especially useful for users of "non-standard" software.

Thanks.     Stephan

As far as I know there is already a list of R-lenses with faulty profiles. But where is it ? Who has put it together ? And couldn't it be placed so that anybody has access to it. It would be nice to see it and check if all the lenses relevant to each lens owner are in there.

I assume nobody has all lenses, and I am not even sure if Leica still has all different versions to measure the distortion etc.. (Who would know?)

But I assume they can always recreate it from the construction papers or get it from older documentation.

It comes to my mind that in one of Puts papers there was a list of color differences for the M-lenses. That would also be a useful add-on.

If you make a list like that, you'll have to maintain it per firmware revision.

Leica updates the lens profiles when they update the firmware. 

If you make a list like that, you'll have to maintain it per firmware revision.

Leica updates the lens profiles when they update the firmware. 

Yes, that's the idea.  I hope the list of bad vignetting profiles will have no entries after the next firmware release.  And I won't revisit the subject until there is a next release.

Most of the other stuff that can be missing in the lens profile, like EXIF information, is not so disturbing that new users need to be warned away from using the profiles.

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick