R lenses that fit SL

Sully

Will the R 15mm F3.5 lens fit the new Sl with adapters?  I only saw the R 15 F2.8 listed in the list of 

acceptable lenses.  Does the F3.5 have a baffle that prevents it from fitting?

Ciao,  Sully

Red Dot Camera in London has a 15mm F3.5 R in stock … and they probably have a demo SL … so maybe Email on Monday and ask if it fits. 

dunk

I've also noticed this missing lens (it appears to be the only R not it the list communicated by Leica for the SL). It's strange.

The Super-Elmar-R 15 mm f/3,5 is not supported by the M (typ 240) but it fits on it (with the right adapter). You can see an example here.

I hope the SL will propose a real support of the R lenses. For the M, the menu is very limited. I've written to Leica to ask a more complete menu, even if it's only to have a complete EXIF (and without a specific processing) : no answer...

• 1 month later...

I just checked: The SL has a lens code for 11213 built in, even though it wasn't listed in the literature. So I'm sure the Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 is compatible and supported by a lens profile.

The listing has a minor error in it ... I says 15mm f/3.8 rather than f/3.5. 

Edited by ramarren

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just checked: The SL has a lens code for 11213 built in, even though it wasn't listed in the literature. So I'm sure the Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 is compatible and supported by a lens profile.

The listing has a minor error in it ... I says 15mm f/3.8 rather than f/3.5. 

Where can I find the literature that lists the lenses that are compatible with the SL?  Thanks!

Where can I find the literature that lists the lenses that are compatible with the SL?  Thanks!

The SL system brochure in PDF provides lists of compatible lenses but they are not complete. The best source to determine what is compatible* is the SL itself, with the R Adapter M fitted to the M Adapter T on the body, looking at the lens profile list. 

* Note that the use of the word "compatible" here means "has a provided lens profile on the SL." Technically, all R lenses are compatible with the SL in that every single one can be mounted on the R Adapter M + M Adapter T mounting. 

• Like 1

I think, compatible are all R lenses to the SL. The task should be, what are the lenses you can choose with the menu and what lenses have therefore a profile within the SL. It would be easy for any SL user to list the lenses of the SL menu here in this forum.

• Like 1

The list of supported lenses is just containing the lenses with a profile. It says nothing about the mechanical fitness.

So I can readily assure you that all R-lenses are compatible with the SL. But not for all of them a correction profile exists.

I hope that Leica will change their attitude and also support the remaining R-lenses, which means will add profiles for them.

If not you can still use them and use the normal correction in LR or your favourite software.

The SL is very robust, so are the R-lenses. You can always test it, be not afraid. And all combinations I have tested up until now worked without the smallest flaw.

Stephan

The R-lenses are connected via adapter. So even if you wanted you could not hurt the camera in any way.

Edited by steppenw0lf

I think, compatible are all R lenses to the SL. The task should be, what are the lenses you can choose with the menu and what lenses have therefore a profile within the SL. It would be easy for any SL user to list the lenses of the SL menu here in this forum.

Hello Ferdinand.

That's not a difficult test. First there is the list of supported lenses in the Leica SL catalog. Up until now it is still valid.

And if you are suspicious you can still check in the camera. Nothing easier than that.

Stephan

OK Stephan, I've looked to the catalog and on the list there is no R lens missing. Are all of them also available in the menu of the SL? I don't have one yet. My SL is still waiting for me in Wetzlar :)

No, sorry to contradict.

You have to be aware that there is not only one version of each lens. For example the R 19 exists in two versions that have almost nothing in common. And so the correction profile for the old R19 is missing. And it must be completely different from the profile of the new R19.

There are many more, cannot tell you now all the exact differences. It would be quite a list. (Puts will know exactly).

Sorry     Stephan

Also the old R15 (Zeiss construction, 3.5/15) is missing.

I started so many years ago with the R4, many of the "old darlings" are well known to me.

I press the thumbs that you will get your camera soon. And yes, the lenses in the catalogue are also in the menu.

Edited by steppenw0lf

No, sorry to contradict.

You have to be aware that there is not only one version of each lens. For example the R 19 exists in two versions that have almost nothing in common. And so the correction profile for the old R19 is missing. And it must be completely different from the profile of the new R19.

There are many more, cannot tell you now all the exact differences. It would be quite a list. (Puts will know exactly).

Sorry     Stephan

Also the old R15 (Zeiss construction, 3.5/15) is missing.

I started so many years ago with the R4, many of the "old darlings" are well known to me.

I press the thumbs that you will get your camera soon. And yes, the lenses in the catalogue are also in the menu.

Stephan,

The Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 profile is in the Lens Profiles list, as are both of the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8s (v1 and v2). I have and use both of the older versions with my SL, and they perform beautifully. 

Stephan,

The Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 profile is in the Lens Profiles list, as are both of the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8s (v1 and v2). I have and use both of the older versions with my SL, and they perform beautifully. 

Hello Godfrey,

thanks for your note. I checked and you are right the Zeiss 15mm 11213 is in there. I probably overlooked it because I was just casually checking and was looking for 3.5 aperture and it is listed with 3.8 (strange, or is this the real value ?).

But even stranger,  I cannot find the old 19 in the SL menu. Or more exactly, I can only see one version of the 19 the 11225. I don't know if it is the older or the newer. Can you see a second version ? As the two versions have almost nothing in common, and have completely different distortion, two different correction profiles are necessary in my opinion, even if the apertures are the same.

Did you do any updates lately ? Or what could be the explanation ?

Thanks.     Stephan

Edited by steppenw0lf

Hello again,

checking some more details:

11225 is the code for the old 19, the 19mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R I . The profile is in the Leica SL R-lenses menu. Great.

11258 and 11329 are the codes for the new 19, the 19mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II . And in my camera this profile is missing - at least I cannot find it.

Is it available in other cameras ? 

Godfrey, I guess you were lucky because you use the older 19. Did you really check for the newer one ?

Thanks.       Stephan

Edited by steppenw0lf

Hello Godfrey,

thanks for your note. I checked and you are right the Zeiss 15mm 11213 is in there. I probably overlooked it because I was just casually checking and was looking for 3.5 aperture and it is listed with 3.8 (strange, or is this the real value ?).

But even stranger,  I cannot find the old 19 in the SL menu. Or more exactly, I can only see one version of the 19 the 11225. I don't know if it is the older or the newer. Can you see a second version ? As the two versions have almost nothing in common, and have completely different distortion, two different correction profiles are necessary in my opinion, even if the apertures are the same.

Did you do any updates lately ? Or what could be the explanation ?

Thanks.     Stephan

Hello again,

checking some more details:

11225 is the code for the old 19, the 19mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R I . The profile is in the Leica SL R-lenses menu. Great.

11258 and 11329 are the codes for the new 19, the 19mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II . And in my camera this profile is missing - at least I cannot find it.

Is it available in other cameras ? 

Godfrey, I guess you were lucky because you use the older 19. Did you really check for the newer one ?

Thanks.       Stephan

I suspect that "f/3.8" is just a typo error on the lens code name for the Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5. They've made a few other mistakes with the lens codes in fw 1.2, like the rendering weirdness with the APO 90mm profile. I'm sure they'll all be sorted out when the next firmware update comes around. 

The 19mm has been in mine since I've been using it, which was shortly after fw 1.2 was released; I installed fw1.2 probably the same day I got home with the camera. I had the 19mm v1 lens before I had the SL so it was one of the first lenses I checked. Codes for both v1 and v2 have always been there, as far as I can recall. 

The 19mm has been in mine since I've been using it, which was shortly after fw 1.2 was released; I installed fw1.2 probably the same day I got home with the camera. I had the 19mm v1 lens before I had the SL so it was one of the first lenses I checked. Codes for both v1 and v2 have always been there, as far as I can recall. 

Nope.  I just checked my list and only the 11225 19 mm lens is listed.  

I have no idea why, but picky details that involve filling in the tables that make up the firmware describing the lenses seem to be the last thing that Leica gets cleaned up.  In the M8 and M9, it took about a year to get the maximum aperture entries filled in or typos corrected for all of the M lenses that the firmware knew about.  Tuning the edge corrections for some of the wide angle lenses took several iterations, and as usual, the squeaky wheels got a bit more rapid response than the silent sufferers.  When there were subcontractors involved, it made some sense, but isn't all the firmware written in Wetzlar or Solms now?

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

Nope.  I just checked my list and only the 11225 19 mm lens is listed.  

scott

Hello Scott,

thanks for checking. So that's a relief that my camera seems to be the same as all others.

What would you think about setting up a list of all versions of R-lenses together with the required (or recommended) corrections. As not all lenses are equal maybe even with adding how much variation is possible. And maybe putting it into the Wiki ...

That woud give us a place to check, without depending on Leica (the in camera implementation) or LR. That would make the knowledge a bit more independant of the camera firmware and the software level, especially useful for users of "non-standard" software.

Thanks.     Stephan

As far as I know there is already a list of R-lenses with faulty profiles. But where is it ? Who has put it together ? And couldn't it be placed so that anybody has access to it. It would be nice to see it and check if all the lenses relevant to each lens owner are in there.

I assume nobody has all lenses, and I am not even sure if Leica still has all different versions to measure the distortion etc.. (Who would know?)

But I assume they can always recreate it from the construction papers or get it from older documentation.

It comes to my mind that in one of Puts papers there was a list of color differences for the M-lenses. That would also be a useful add-on.

Edited by steppenw0lf