Second thoughts for those on Q waiting list?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone waiting for the Sony RX1R2 to arrive, so they can compare it with the Q?  Are you 100% certain you will purchase the Q regardless of the Sony RX1R2?

For the record, and to be perfectly honest and candid, I am waiting to compare cameras even though I lean Leica.  I read Steve Huff and although he was glowing about the Leica Q. I am waiting for his hands on review and viewpoint of the Sony. He uses the current RX1R as part of his personal gear. 

I am curious if I am alone, by waiting to compare, or not. 

Steve Huff is well known as a Sony fanboy, his RX1Rii speculation is a bit absurd since no one has properly reviewed it.

In ideal situations I expect the Sony will have technically better images and if you prefer 35mm then the Q is immediately out of the running but for me the Q is still my pick.

Main reasons:

- Handling is much nicer, I had the RX1 and it's size is convenient but not all that comfortable

- AF of the Q is very good, I don't expect the Sony to be as good

- Better MF

- Stabilisation - 42MP without IBIS is a mistake for me, with that res you'll need some high shutter speeds or a tripod

- I prefer 28mm but that's a personal preference

- I prefer the Leica "experience", I loved the RX1 images but never bonded with it like my X100 which was much more fun despite its well-known flaws

- resale value, the Q will likely hold value better which pretty much wipes out the initial price difference

• Like 2

No, my lineage is the M and I'm yet to see an RX1 image that has convinced me to move from Leica. To reinforce that the best images I've seen from Steve have always been Leica images whether the lens or the camera but, to be frank, rarely the subject.

In reality, we just need to take more shots and worry less about the kit.

Having said that, Leica closes that gap on all other brands in terms of mystique, IQ and photographic DNA IMHO.

• Like 1

If the Sony where the half of the price of the Leica Q one may consider it as an alternative because of the budget but as their price is more or less on the same level there would be no second thought for me. But I am not on the waiting list as I own the old RX1 for 2 years now and I got my Q on the day it was released. No complaints about the IQ of the Sony but to get the focus right was a bit of a lottery with the AF, not talking about the speed. If you're about numbers of MP go for the Sony but be sure to avoid getting in touch with a Q afterwards that encounter will cost you a lot of money because the user experiance is worlds apart from the Sony, at least from my point of view. BTW I am not a Leica Fanboy, this is my first Leica ever.

• Like 1

Saying that Steve is a Sony fanboy is an understatement.  While he does enjoy using Leica equipement, my guess is that he will prefer the Sony (and Sony is making good FF cameras).  I have an M240 and the Q (moved to the Q from a Sony a7r).  I love the versatility and experieince of the Q.  I must admit that the 28mm required some adjustment.  I have found it a positive experience as it requires me to think more about my composition and how close I get to my subject when shooting on the street.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After years of pixel peeping not printing my photos, I finally understood the IQ of any decent camera is good enough for me.

The ease of use, the way the camera inspires you to take pics, is my main deciding factor.

I judge a camera looking at prints, not at the computer display anymore.

Some time ago I would have chosen the Sony, no doubt. But I used to have the Sony RX1R, now I have the Q and the RX1RII has no appeal, even if I am sure viewing images at 100% magnification will show it is "better".

I still consider the Sony A7 line as a competitor for my Fuji X-T1, because I also want an interchangeable lens system to complement the Q.

• Like 1

- I prefer the Leica "experience", I loved the RX1 images but never bonded with it like my X100 which was much more fun despite its well-known flaws
- resale value, the Q will likely hold value better which pretty much wipes out the initial price difference

Ricky1981: Strange you should mention this as I had exactly the same experience. Plus, the first one wouldn't boot-up and had to be replaced and the second one wouldn't manually focus and had to be repaired.

One of my most successful shots was with the RX1 but like you I never seemed to bond with the camera. It always seemed ackward in some way and I had the EVF, which I wasn't impressed with; and the Zeiss OVF which kept falling off. I've now traded it in as a deposit on a Q and am anxiously awaiting delivery.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1

I just got the Q and I could not have made a better choice. For me. I am familiar with both the Sony offering as well as Fuji in the fixed lens arena. This was my thinking: RX1RII: 42MP was too much, 35mm was great, controls a big - , "previous RX1R 24mp just right, 35mm great, controls- , and add that's yesterday's tech - . Q, quicker to type, 24mp great, 28mm - (I'm compromising) great controls +

Now that I have the Q, and played with it (got it yesterday) I can say that it's a joy to compose and create! So in the end, for me, it came down to the ergonomics of the instrument, and I'm happy!

• Like 1

Had the RX1 which got replaced with the RX1r. Great IQ, yet as far as UI and shooting experience is concerned the Sonys felt like a hybrid between a menu driven point and shoot and a real camera. The Q is at a different ballgame, a real camera with very fast and accurate AF and best MF & ZF implementation of any FF EVF equipped digital camera yet. With the Q Leica made the best fusion of old analog camera feel and 2015 electronics.

Edited by Ecaton
  • Like 1

They both have their own advantages over each other. Which by now I sure most are already aware of. Some key points for me:
RX1 II offers

- bulb mode

- best 35mm lens on the market. 35mm FoV. Note: uncorrected for a wider FoV is around 32-33mm. Not that far from Q.

- 42 mpix and the best full frame sensor on the market

- Zeiss colors. Not better nor worse than Leica, just somewhat different look

- is considerably smaller. Sometimes small size is amazing when you want great IQ and portability.

Leica Q offers

- 28mm FoV

- Those lovely Leica colors

- amazing user experience (this is not say Sony is in anyway worse; they are just different)

- The best EVF on the market. But the Sony is not that far away.

So in other words: Make your decision based on what focal length you prefer. It's pointless to think about resale value. I think RX1 has held it's value very well over the years. And then go try them in a shop, only then you know your answer.

• Like 2

For those for you so inclined, your wait is over. 

The "Q"could be added to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange as a commodity (and the M 246, and S 007 and SL....). 

Confirms that the most relelvant difference between Sony and Leica is that you can actually buy a Sony iteration before its successor is released.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Leica-Q-Typ-116-Digital-Camera/10425753/product.html?refccid=ILUEHPBRWUY2DOKKISJMQZLBSU&searchidx=13&option=15983060

But hurry - "only three left."

Edited by Deliberate1
  • Like 1

For those for you so inclined, your wait is over. 

The "Q"could be added to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange as a commodity (and the M 246, and S 007 and SL....). 

Confirms that the most relelvant difference between Sony and Leica is that you can actually buy a Sony iteration before its successor is released.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Leica-Q-Typ-116-Digital-Camera/10425753/product.html?refccid=ILUEHPBRWUY2DOKKISJMQZLBSU&searchidx=13&option=15983060

But hurry - "only three left."

thanks, at that price I would have wanted four.

Sony is not an option for me:

files are actually too big for my liking

Didn't care for Sony handling

I know it is belittled but I do think Leica images have a "look"

Only waited for the SL was temped by rumors of an interchangeable lens Q 

Saw the SL release and immediately ordered a Q. Will be delivered tomorrow morning not sure why people are sill on waiting lists. Ordered mine on Thursday from Classic Connections a Leica Dealer of new and used equipment and a member of Leica Historic Society. Still showing in stock by the way.

I've been lurking on this forum for years and although I could afford a Leica could never justify one to myself. Some investments did well the kids are out of college with no debts and my retirement portfolio looks healthy so looked at an M but don't trust my eyes for manual focus only.

• Like 2

I've been lurking on this forum for years and although I could afford a Leica could never justify one to myself. Some investments did well the kids are out of college with no debts and my retirement portfolio looks healthy so looked at an M but don't trust my eyes for manual focus only.

Congrats for reaching this point in your life. And for chronicling the rest with a Q. Happy shooting.

I just checked Classic connections "Sorry but this item is currently unavailable."

I'm not surprised, given that their stock position was revealed on this forum two days ago.   BUT, I would place an order with them PDQ because of the fact that they did have shelf stock which was not allocated, suggesting that their next delivery could be free for distribution. 

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Anyone waiting for the Sony RX1R2 to arrive, so they can compare it with the Q?  Are you 100% certain you will purchase the Q regardless of the Sony RX1R2?

For the record, and to be perfectly honest and candid, I am waiting to compare cameras even though I lean Leica.  I read Steve Huff and although he was glowing about the Leica Q. I am waiting for his hands on review and viewpoint of the Sony. He uses the current RX1R as part of his personal gear. 

I am curious if I am alone, by waiting to compare, or not. 

I think he got rid of the RX1R long time ago

After reading some reports of people actually handling the RX1R II at the Photoplus show, here are my impressions.

Size vs Handling --- Wash

A bigger camera will always handle better, so it's a matter of preference if you want small size vs better handling.  In my humble opinion, both cameras desperately need a grip to handle nicely, the Q needs more options to customize buttons, and the small size of the RX1 is overrated.  So they are equal in this department.

EVF --- Slight edge to the Q

The Q has more resolution and better magnification, but I read a report that the EVF of the RX1R II has better clarity.  I use the A7Rii and I agree on this point.

Autofocus speed/accuracy --- Wash

Initial reports favor the Q in pure speed, but the CDAF will still hunt in low contrast scenes.  PDAF/CDAF will also have better accuracy shooting moving subjects.

MF implementation --- Q wins hands down

No explanation needed.

Lens --- Wash

Some prefer Leica rendering/colors, some prefer Zeiss

Sensor --- Sony wins

42MP, more DR, and better ISO performance.  No reported issues with banding.

Tilting screen vs Touchscreen --- Slight edge to Sony

Again, this is a matter of preference but I think more people would prefer the versatility of a tilting screen.

So nothing has really changed. The biggest deciding factor should still be 28mm vs 35mm.

• Like 1

So nothing has really changed. The biggest deciding factor should still be 28mm vs 35mm.

In my opinion there are two more important deciding factors:

- sensor resolution: of course in favour of the Sony, but it only matters if you print in huge size

- user experience: subjective, but for sure the two cameras are very different (I like both, but prefer the Q with significant margin)

Focal lenght might be the deciding factor if you want 28mm, which of course can't be had with the Sony.

If you like 35mm you can have it cropping the Q frame, and if you don't print in huge size the resolution is plenty enough.

So I think the choice is a little more complex that "simply" deciding if you prefer 28mm or 35mm.