Leica SL Survey - Your Opinion?

LUF Admin

What do you think about the new Leica SL?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. Can you imagine to buy a Leica SL (Type 601)?

• I want one!
    • I'm interested but let's wait for detailed tests.
    • I'm interested but will buy later when more lenses are available.
    • No, the Leica SL is too expensive for me
    • No, the Leica SL is too big and heavy for me
    • Thanks no, not my camera at all
  2. 2. Who will buy the Leica SL over the next years?

• Professional photographers
    • Video producers
    • Leica R and M owners to adapt their lenses
    • Leica fanatics who buy everything with a red dot
    • Oligarchs looking for big and expensive gear
    • No one - will become a flop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yet another camera which I simply do not understand.

Leica should spend their time doing what they do best and that is the rangefinder.

Spend some time trying to make the M more like the M3 in size and weight instead of making it bigger and heavier each time.

Personally I love my M9 and hope to keep it for many years to come. I just don't see the need for more pixels or more features.

If I were Leica I would design an M with no more than a light meter. I wouldn't even bother with a screen. We managed perfectly well when we used film. There are many camera companies out there who make great stuff and I think Leica should play the niche card and offer a simple M like this http://www.ventspleen.com/leica-m9-reconsidered/ rather than muck about making yet another camera system.

But hey, I build boats, what do I know about running a camera company?

Cheers

• Like 1

We had some days to discuss the Leica SL and to form an opinion.

To get an atmospheric picture here are two questions to you_

1. Can you imagine to buy a Leica SL (Type 601)?

And:

2. Who will buy the Leica SL over the next years?

Please vote above and share your voice below...

I held the the SL at javits center Photo Plus Expo Show yesterday in NYC. The camera is very professional, somewhat bigger than a Sony A7r ll mirrorless and has fit and finish to match leica greatness. The addition of professional large diopter eyepiece, Top mounted LCD display, great high contrast, large Font shutter & F;stop readouts inside the EVF, make it a serious competitor in the mirrorless field. The lens mount "L" is bigger than "M" and will require L/M > L/L adapter much as m39 > L/M in the 1960's did. As for m39 lenses i am sure that adapter will be made and sold on eBay very quickly. Size of this model SL is very good for balance of most all older "M" mount lenses of brass construction. No doubt a Summicron 40/2-CL lens will be a small package, light-weight and very sharp full frame lens for this camera. The camera was designed for all leica lenses in my opinion including the new SL mount ones. regards, Don@Eastwestphoto

• Like 1

Leica should spend their time doing what they do best and that is the rangefinder.

If I were Leica I would design an M with no more than a light meter. I wouldn't even bother with a screen. We managed perfectly well when we used film. There are many camera companies out there who make great stuff and I think Leica should play the niche card and offer a simple M like this http://www.ventspleen.com/leica-m9-reconsidered/ rather than muck about making yet another camera system.

Cheers

If Leica just made the M they simply wouldn't exist today. During the transitional years when digital was just taking off, Leica couldn't produce a digital camera and it was only the partnership with Panasonic that kept them going (yes there were a couple of earlier Fuji models).

Sales of their relatively cheap digital models boomed - possibly because it meant a lot more people could suddenly afford a Leica!

The problem with the M is lack of AF, to appeal to a much wider user base.

So, Leica need a camera like the SL (note my use of the work like!).

How did such an ugly, heavy, box sneak out of the Leica factory? Is that size and weight really necessary? Pros who buy for function can get as much for far less money from Sony (probably using non-Sony lenses though) and those who buy for glamour will hardly want to lug this brick around. The elegance of the traditional Leicas is related to function: light, compact, fitting the hand and face well. The digital Ms preserved some of this, although they are still too thick. This SL isn't in the Leica tradition at all, and its hard to see to whom it will appeal.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the price tag is too high. Specially for the lens presented. I spent this for the M9+summilux 50 because I wanted something compact and from high quality. Which I found. Now I am considering a new camera, I will check the latest Monochrom. I think SL is an other philosophy than an M: auto-focus, EVF,...  Therefore the argument of M lenses is non relevant. If is to use an adapter, why not on the Sony. For me a good lens is much more important than the body. Not for me, sorry Leica.

• Like 1

I would like to use one before making any real hard desision, however it is out of my price range to start with and also I am just a hobby photographer.

I have gone over to the dark side in digital (Sony RX-1) which I think is a very good camera, yes the Q has made improvements on it but the RX-1 is paid for.....

wbill

I was prepared to pre-order when i realized that it is impossible to trigger image magnification with the right thumb so far. Deal breaker for me so i will wait and see if Leica can provide some support to people like me if any.

I thought all the keys were user programmable. 

Wilson

PS Got one on order for delivery early next year. The weight is a concern and if I find the 601/24-90 combo too heavy, I will sell it on. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Perhaps it will depend on what happens to the m series. Assuming that there's incremental improvement on the M240 (especially EVF and to some extent sensor and overall speed and reliability) then the gap for the SL MIGHT be very small. Being someone more interested in manual focus lenses I would stick with an improved M camera format.  If for some absurd reason Leica stopped making the M then the SL world be a viable alternative.

Leica can do better with the design of the SL camera (!)

Remember the designs and the looks of the R4 and R9 analoge cameras?

Those cameras were beautifull designed cameras. A joy for the eyes.

The Leica SL camera looks too much like a proto-type camera to me, where the designers have forgotten to make some curvations of the camera body (!)

I suggest that the Leica designers goes back to the drawing tables and make som curvations of the SL camera.

When discussing the price of the Leica SL camera, then I believe photographers are better off using Canon, Nikon and Sony digital cameras for adapting their Leica-r lenses to.

You can easily buy two Sony A7II cameras for the Price of one Leica SL camera.

So to summarize what I suggest Leica should do:

1) Improve the design and the looks of the Leica SL camera.

2) Lower the Price.

I am interested but will not buy one having only recently bought my M240 to fulfil a specific function with my photography. I have other cameras, Nikons, that satisfy my other photographic needs. Well, for the moment anyway!

I'm sure that in the long term the SL will be successful, not only because it would appear to be a fine camera, but because Leica tends to let models evolve and doesn't chase the market with constant updates and newer models.

In all honesty it maybe a great camera but with one lens and only 3 by the end of 2016 I can't see any 'Pro' going for it. Also I think the hugely expensive variable aperture zooms again will be a big turn off for working photographers especially when you actually need the wider aperture at the longer end of the focal range to give less DOF (portrait work) and to open up keep the shutter speed up to avoid movement blur. It will be one for those with very deep pockets especially when you think most "Pro' photographers would probably want 2 bodies a 24-70, 70-200,  85/1.8,  35/1.4 and maybe a super wide you could be looking at £25,0000-30,000 for a set up which maybe available in 3-4 years time. My A7rII may not have the build quality or the gorgeous EVF of the SL but in this day and age of almost 'disposable' and with the great range of Sony/Zeiss lenses available I am stick with that and the Q

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

I'm seriously investigating the possibility of buying the SL - mainly for use with my R lenses - especially the long focus 180/3.4, 280/4, 560/6.3 and 800/6.3 Telyt S for which the SL seems to be admirably suited i.e. more so than my A7R. But I also want to use my 21-35 and 28-90 R lenses thus need to know how they will perform throughout their zoom and aperture ranges. I hope to try both my zooms with the SL at Leica Mayfair and then study the image files - unless someone beats me to it and publishes the results. I currently use the zooms with my R9/DMR with excellent results - but with the crop factor they are eqiuvalent to 29-48mm and 38-123mm - thus the potential of the 21-35mm has not been fully explored. I have considered buying an M240 but was always optimistic that a better R platform would eventually be offered - hopefully the SL will fulfil the role.

The cost of the SL is another factor to reckon with. I can fund part of the purchase by selling other Leica cameras and lenses - but have also to bear in mind that the SL will, like other digital ICL cameras, depreciate (maybe significantly) over the next 2 or 3 years - especially if a Mk 2 SL is announced.

I have a good stock of R lenses to use with the SL so the lack of SL lenses at launch would not affect me - but that lack will inevitably affect other potential users' purchase decisions. The currently available 24-90mm and promised 50/1.4 and 90-280mm offer fewer options than e.g. Sony's FF mirrorless system which has some really superb pro grade optics. But, even Sony's FF mirrorless lenses have been slow to appear.

I would like to know why Leica SL lenses and T lenses seem to take forever to design and reach production. As the SL was probably conceived at least three years ago (at the same time as the T) it does not seem unreasonable to expect a broader range of SL lenses to be available at launch … and so far there is no mention of an SL macro optic which would surely appeal to scientific / natural history and studio photographers. 

dunk

Will not be buying a SL. The Q is my first Leica and I love it. But my main kit is Nikon, d7200, d750 and d810. Along with too many top quality lenses. Bought the Q to fill a travel and take everywhere need. For me, the finest point-and-shoot ever made. Have found it very flexible for many kinds of photos. That said, I'm not going to become a Leica guy, Nikon has been my box since 1965. and I have invested in top level primes from 20mm to 500mm and several pro quality zooms.

Who will buy it? I would if I were a Leica guy in order to have a multiple lens FX/FF camera. I doubt at its price point, the SL will be the camera to start someone as a Leica user. But if you are already a dedicated user, absolutely get a full frame sensor with interchangable lenses.

Side note, the Nikon system has such a broad lens selection, I would find that hard to leave as Leica's is much more limited albeit, excellent glass.

I thought all the keys were user programmable [...]

That's what i thought also but when i asked if i can use the thumwheel or the joystick i got enlightening answers like such or such reviewer prefers using his left thumb... Nothing personal folks but why not a big toe while we are at that?  

Yet another camera which I simply do not understand.

Spend some time trying to make the M more like the M3 in size and weight instead of making it bigger and heavier each time.

Personally I love my M9 and hope to keep it for many years to come. I just don't see the need for more pixels or more features.

Cheers

We M lovers are too small a market  They are trying to reach it a broader market

I held the the SL at javits center Photo Plus Expo Show yesterday in NYC. The camera is very professional, somewhat bigger than a Sony A7r ll mirrorless and has fit and finish to match leica greatness. The addition of professional large diopter eyepiece, Top mounted LCD display, great high contrast, large Font shutter & F;stop readouts inside the EVF, make it a serious competitor in the mirrorless field. The lens mount "L" is bigger than "M" and will require L/M > L/L adapter much as m39 > L/M in the 1960's did. As for m39 lenses i am sure that adapter will be made and sold on eBay very quickly. Size of this model SL is very good for balance of most all older "M" mount lenses of brass construction. No doubt a Summicron 40/2-CL lens will be a small package, light-weight and very sharp full frame lens for this camera. The camera was designed for all leica lenses in my opinion including the new SL mount ones. regards, Don@Eastwestphoto

Handled the camera at PhotoPlus Expo, took some captures, but no field experience or more than 15 minutes with the camera,  Nice camera for the wannabe armchair photo enthusiast.  Will look nice on the shelf with all the untouched photobooks.  Not ergonomic, odd control placement.  Nice quiet shutter with good feedback.  Maybe a nice body to mount on a research institution microscope.  Very solid feel.  Good subject for the Modern Art Museum.

Edited by Parfumeur
  • Like 1

This is my take, I would like to buy it as backup for M lenses and also proper digital platform for R lenses but, big but, it is expensive.

If Leica Q with similar sensor and EVF plus integral Summilux lens retail for £2900 how come slab of aluminium without lens is supposed to retail for £5050, how much is Sony A7 mk2, just over £1K.  Price it three grand and I will buy SL in a heartbeat.

Edit,

To use R lenses digitally on platform other than M240 or Sony, Canon DSLRs specifically 6D which can be fitted with split focusing screen at just over £1000 is pretty good alternative.  I will keep an eye on market but I want be buying at currently advertised prices.

Future M should come with optional external EVF, with processor similar or better than SL, what is not to like about such camera.  If Leica decides to feature cripple next M and remove optional external EVF (no doubt welcomed by Leica Luddites) they will be missing big time.

Edited by mmradman