Leica SL Survey - Your Opinion?

LUF Admin

What do you think about the new Leica SL?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. Can you imagine to buy a Leica SL (Type 601)?

• I want one!
    • I'm interested but let's wait for detailed tests.
    • I'm interested but will buy later when more lenses are available.
    • No, the Leica SL is too expensive for me
    • No, the Leica SL is too big and heavy for me
    • Thanks no, not my camera at all
  2. 2. Who will buy the Leica SL over the next years?

• Professional photographers
    • Video producers
    • Leica R and M owners to adapt their lenses
    • Leica fanatics who buy everything with a red dot
    • Oligarchs looking for big and expensive gear
    • No one - will become a flop

Maybe it's just me, but I see no advantage that the SL has over the M-P other than the maximum ISO of 50,000 and the burst rate of 11 FPS up to 33 frames.   The burst rate will obviously be of interest for sports photographers and possibly street photographers.  ISO 50,000 is pretty hard to argue with but it is not enough of a motivator for me to cough up $7450 USD. 

JMHO/YMMV.

EVF quality (and so accepting R, M, T macro, tele, zoom lenses etc), AF, image stabilisation, dynamic range, ISO performance......

These are real advantages, even if they are not all relevant to every photographer.

For anyone buying Leica equipment, price and value for money are difficult to use as arguments for buying, whether it is a Q, T, M or SL.

often with small birds I'll need to do some cropping and in this situation the magnify function is handy for precise focus.  Framing is loose anyway (I assume some cropping) so I don't need to go back to full view before making an exposure.

My ideal workflow:

Frame the subject and focus

Hit magnify button and find the closest eye

Fine focus and wait for catch light

Fire the shutter.

I just wish that the focus spot would remain at the same location for the next exposure, because I have to repeat the process all over which is tough with fleeting wildlife.

Maybe a software upgrade where a double hit on the joystick would return to center position.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I bought a very regret after the release, the first DNG can not turn off the automatic noise reduction. Second aperture is not a constant third lens above there is no infinite distance scale. 1.1 fourth firmware can use PROFOTO Canon port trigger, the 1.2 firmware on the failure of the.Fifth tracking focus is almost a decoration.

Edited by 忘不了

1. This method of noise reduction is present in every Leica camera. It's the way Leica do it

2. The details of the 24-90 lens clearly state the variable aperture .... it's actually written on the front of the lens

3. There are no distance scales on the AF zoom lens because they are on the upper LCD and this is much more accurate

4. Tough. Leica cannot make their cameras 100% compatible with other brands of equipment. Flash pin-outs are Nikon compatible. Lots of other triggers work fine. 

5. Due to the type of AF used (contrast detection) tracking will never be as accurate as phase detection AF in other cameras.

We have tried to be as helpful as possible on this forum, but it seems you have bought this camera without considering what you exactly want from a mirrorless camera. 

All the information on these issues is readily available.

If you don't like it, sell it :huh:  

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My ideal workflow:

Frame the subject and focus

Hit magnify button and find the closest eye

Fine focus and wait for catch light

Fire the shutter.

I just wish that the focus spot would remain at the same location for the next exposure, because I have to repeat the process all over which is tough with fleeting wildlife.

Maybe a software upgrade where a double hit on the joystick would return to center position.

That is exactly my only gripe.....is having to always reposition the focus point from center. Gotta believe that's a firmware fix at some point....

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but I see no advantage that the SL has over the M-P other than the maximum ISO of 50,000 and the burst rate of 11 FPS up to 33 frames. The burst rate will obviously be of interest for sports photographers and possibly street photographers. ISO 50,000 is pretty hard to argue with but it is not enough of a motivator for me to cough up $7450 USD.

JMHO/YMMV.

The major advantage over M for sure is the EVF....it makes focusing the razor thin plane of the 0.95 a breeze even without peaking. The quality of the EVF always impresses me....