The SL makes more sense than the Q

imants

I disagree. Each of these cameras target a different segment. 

• M is the quintessential rangefinder. The best in its class. Probably the only one after Voigtlander has packed it in.
  • Q is designed for users who want full frame and one versatile lens. Compact carry around without a need to lug bag of lenses.
  • SL is designed for users who have a collection of high quality Leica lenses and need to use them. It will work with the S, SL, M and T lenses.
  • T is an entry level into the Leica club. There are people who like that. Minimalistic design, nice interface. Interchangeable quality Leica lenses.
  • X is also and entry level into the Leica club for those who really don't need full frame.

Whether there is money to be made is another issue. This will determine the long term viability of the product.

Frankly I like the fact that Leica has matured in its lineup with original products and not just rehashed Panasonic products.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 3

T is an entry level into the Leica club ...........maybe but the weakest link

X is also and entry level into the Leica club .............does not give club membership it  is a bit like the Leica Z2X

Edited by Imants

Yes, the T is the weakest member of the T-mount club - someone has to be. I suspect it's capable of massive improvement in EVF and responsiveness in the next iteration.

Actually, I think the SL is more likely to preserve the T, simply because they represent opposite ends of a spectrum with common elements. And it wouldn't surprise me to see other new bodies in between the T and the SL.

Also, given Leica's practice with the S/S-E and M/M-E, the current SL will become an SL-E in a few years' time, with a big price drop, while a new SL appears at the top.

Yep the SL is a smart move  repositions Leica up the top of the  camera tree

I would be interested in a qualification of this statement. Personally I find the Q to be Leica's best camera so far but as for the SL being at the top of the tree that I am not at all sure of

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would be interested in a qualification of this statement. Personally I find the Q to be Leica's best camera so far but as for the SL being at the top of the tree that I am not at all sure of

Absolutely agree. If you don't want inter changeable lenses and you want light kit, then the Q is a bargain.

If I was in the market for an SL though, given size, weight etc, I'd save a little more and go for the S.

The SL could be built into a great system like the m series is .......... lenses and camera  going hand in hand. The Q is a bit of the one off feel, always needing another camera to cover the the wide range of photographic  situations.

Buying a Q 28mm camera , then a Q 50mm a Q portrait camera  etc jetc gets a bit bulky and heavy

Buying a Q 28mm camera , then a Q 50mm a Q portrait camera  etc jetc gets a bit bulky and heavy

Wouldn't do it myself, but it would still be lighter than an SL with 3 lenses or lighter than carrying 2 M-bodies and assorted lenses.

• Like 1

I totally disagree as well, as an owner of X1 and T

To me what Q is to SL, X is the same to T. So I don't understand why they all can't coexist together as they all have a different audience. And they are all different cameras with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by theazimuth

A smart move by Leica, etablish itself in the  pro end  of the market with Nikon, Canon, Sony and PhaseOne   and the future is bright.

Today  2021

The T, X and Q market has  amalgamated into a hybrid for the keen  geek fanboy type of photographer.

The M is still hanging around for some old hipsters and then follow them into the grave

Panasonic tested the  waters with a cameraphone back in 2014 and  that didn't work..........so we have  the smartphone as a visual recording device and wow is it good!

Unfortunatly the writing is on the wall for the smarphone visual devices  as  lenses and digital chips get grafted into our bodies............... just posted my old battered  M4 on ebay............. boy did the price taken off some interior designer bought it as a feature item for a client's mantlepiece.

Edited by Imants