Has anyone found a way to comfortably carry the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found the Leica half case works well and I have added a grip on the front which has been posted here before.  I use a neck strap as my hand wrap as well and this works fine.

This is not a pocket camera for sure, and there are only so many ways to go about having it on the ready.  

Do you have a link to the post about adding a grip?

A & A adjustable strap. You can alter the length with a simple slip ring to keep it out of the way of belts, bags, buckles etc. I also have the Thumbs Up which means you can get your hand on the Q quickly without even looking which is great.

I am using the same setup. The adjustable A&A is just perfect for the Q. Had it out today...strap under a down vest open at the front. Could swing it into action with easy and the Q was out of harms way when not needed. The Thumbs Up makes for solid control. 

• Like 1

At the risk of being banned from the Forum, I use a twice modified Peak Design Cuff wriststrap, $20 on Amazon. Not trusting the thin cord, I cut off the quick disconnect end and put a small split ring through the sown web opening and attached it to the right side Q eyelet.

But the real secret ingredient was to then cut a 2" long piece of 1/2" x 1/" weatherseal stripping and glue it to the camera body directly under the shutter button going down to alomst the battery door. It is about 1/4" below the button and the same above the bottom of the body above the door. I used black weather stripping to match the body. I have used this for other camera bodies to make a soft but very secure grip without adding bulk or weight.

I am sure your first reaction is "ugly" this is a Leica for God's sake. Here's the problem, I am a 74 year old mechanical engineer that always tried to design things that were functional first. This achieves that and more. It has been on my Q for at least a month and while traveling had several people ask what kind of camera it was, I have black gaffer's tape over the red dot as an anti-theft measure. When I told them, never once did anyone comment on the "what's that" grip, or of they did they never mentioned it.

Edited by Msohio
  • Like 4

At the risk of being banned from the Forum, I use a twice modified Peak Design Cuff wriststrap, $20 on Amazon. Not trusting the thin cord, I cut off the quick disconnect end and put a small split ring through the sown web opening and attached it to the right side Q eyelet.

But the real secret ingredient was to then cut a 2" long piece of 1/2" x 1/" weatherseal stripping and glue it to the camera body directly under the shutter button going down to alomst the battery door. It is about 1/4" below the button and the same above the bottom of the body above the door. I used black weather stripping to match the body. I have used this for other camera bodies to make a soft but very secure grip without adding bulk or weight.

I am sure your first reaction is "ugly" this is a Leica for God's sake. Here's the problem, I am a 74 year old mechanical engineer that always tried to design things that were functional first. This achieves that and more. It has been on my Q for at least a month and while traveling had several people ask what kind of camera it was, I have black gaffer's tape over the red dot as an anti-theft measure. When I told them, never once did anyone comment on the "what's that" grip, or of they did they never mentioned it.

Interesting.  I'm not the least bit handy and so I could not create something like this..

I have the same concern as you with wriststrap's that have thin cords, I did have one break on a Sony camera I owned.

It must be nice to be creative like this, well done!

I love all products from Peak Design.  Function over form for me too!

Wow, I just received the thumbs up and I'm pretty blown away by the quality. Even the packaging was extremely well thought out, but the piece itself is flawless and has a nice heft to it as well. Definitely a great addition. 

I received the Thumbs up yesterday and add me to those that love it.  Not inexpensive (nothing is with Leica) but seems like a good investment.

I'm planning to try forgoing the Thumbs up initially and see if the indent is sufficient.

The TU is nicely made but the price is IMO too high, I know it can't be $10 but I struggle to justify the cost when knock-offs are a fraction of the cost and not hugely inferior.

I think it you could try the Thumbs up you would change your mind, it really is that good!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use a couple of different rigs depending upon my plans. Default is the Angello Pelle half case with a silk woven neck strap from the guys in Japan. If I will be out for a long day of shooting I revert to Peak Design clamp that connects to the cross body strap of my Pacsafe bag. I also have a wrist strap for shorter periods of shooting. Split rings on the Q make switching very quick and easy. I use the same system with the M-9. 

Edited by stevenhacker

• 9 months later...

I've tried pretty much everything. Leica's Q hand grip, half cases both with and without built in grips, thumbs-up, nothing at all...

I do feel it needs a grip of some sort but it bugs me that all the cases and grips add height to the camera.

My next project will be with Sugru. I'm planning to get a decent sized chunk of it, lay it across my fingers and then grip the camera to let my fingers mould it. It can be tidied up pretty well and hopefully won't look too shabby...

I'm torn at the moment over whether to do it directly onto the surface of the camera or to build it on double sided 3M transfer tape. I know small chunks of sugru can be peeled off smooth surfaces relatively easily and leave no marks but with the patterned surface of the Q I think the transfer tape may be the better solution (in case I completely mess things up).

Here is the case with the grip attached from the case thread.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/250347-cases-for-the-q/

Works for me too, with a Peak Design wrist strap and carried in a small Domke bag, it's always ready for action, only takes a couple of seconds to get out, but then can be carried for extended periods if desired, with the half case and grip (as shown)  :)

For the life of me I don't want a 3-4K camera hanging loose round my neck  :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the above ... too late to edit. It's a Domke F-5XB camera bag, none slip shoulder strap, just ideal for the Q, with a little space left for specs, cleaning stuff or 'phone  :)

i-QStQZ5L-L.jpg

Which color is this bag? Looks lighter to me then their brown option.

Which color is this bag? Looks lighter to me then their brown option.

The colour is about as shown ... light brown, maybe a fawn colour, even grey!

i-CTkHTpc-L.jpg

The shoulder strap is none slip and comfortable. I have seen the bag criticised for the zip possibly scratching the camera when you take it out, but in reality this just doesn't happen. Top quality for sure.

Edited by MickyW