Has anyone found a way to comfortably carry the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had the new Q for 4 weeks.  I am very impressed with it, but I do not find it comfortable to hand carry.  I have added a Leica wrist strap and have recently purchased the Angelo Pelle half case with grip.  This half case makes it harder to access the rear controls and I am not very happy with the feel of it.  Has anyone found a half case or grip (or anything else) that allows you to hand carry the Q comfortably for an extended period of time?

I am 'cheating'. I use the neck strap and then wrap it around my hand/wrist to make it a wrist strap. When I am sitting or otherwise not engaged it goes back around the neck (diagonally across my body). It is working for me (as an additional benefit) there is a bit of excess strap which lays across the top of the camera as I wrap it and it covers up the red dot so I do not need to put any tape on when I want to be 'stealthy'.

• Like 2

A & A adjustable strap. You can alter the length with a simple slip ring to keep it out of the way of belts, bags, buckles etc. I also have the Thumbs Up which means you can get your hand on the Q quickly without even looking which is great.

Black Dot for stealth, no grip or half case as I find them bulky and awkward and then a Zing neoprene case to wrap the camera up when I'm finished and to protect it in my bag when travelling.

Works for me.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found the Leica half case works well and I have added a grip on the front which has been posted here before.  I use a neck strap as my hand wrap as well and this works fine.

This is not a pocket camera for sure, and there are only so many ways to go about having it on the ready.  

Half the price of the Artisan & Artist version and the street strap leather end-wraps are not so big.

The leather end-wraps at the similar A & A strap are much to long. I can´t hold my Q comfortably with the A & A version because of the long and stiff leather end. It´s always somewhere between you fingers and hinder me when holding the camera.

The street strap works for me and is available in 115 cm  and 130 cm (46 & 52 inch).

As camera bag I use several Billingham bags since several years. Primarily the Hadley series.

Cheers,

Jens

At first, i use leica handgrip, and do not feel comfortable at all, because of the weight and the need to remove it first when i need to change my battery.

Right now i just use the thumbs up EP-SQ, and it really make a Q really easy to grip and comfy to use. I feel more confident to use it with a low shutter speed.

• Like 1

I actually like the strap that came with the camera, I've occasionally used it as a wrist strap too, but mostly keep it around my neck. I also have the Leica half case and it seems fine, all controls are easily accessed(except side port, but I use a card reader now) and I feel like there's a little extra protection which I like. 

Just ordered a thumbs up as it seems worthwhile, looking forward to adding that to the Q!

At first, i use leica handgrip, and do not feel comfortable at all, because of the weight and the need to remove it first when i need to change my battery.

Right now i just use the thumbs up EP-SQ, and it really make a Q really easy to grip and comfy to use. I feel more confident to use it with a low shutter speed.

I have considered the thumps up.  Does it block the button for cropping?

I have considered the thumps up.  Does it block the button for cropping?

I'm using my original thumbs-up from my M9.   It does cover the cropping button, but as I explained in a previous post, the TU has enough flexibility that I am able to put pressure on the stem and the crop selector button is activated for each crop.    It's not too sensitive, so you wouldn't accidentally change crop.    The TU really does provide superior handling and optimum balance of the Q body.  However, I still use a neck strap because it's the only way to support the camera safely and be ready for action and have your hands free until you pull the camera to your eye.

The genuine TU has a rubber backing which protects the Q so there is no risk of damage.    It's a very forgiving arrangement.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lucerne

I am 'cheating'. I use the neck strap and then wrap it around my hand/wrist to make it a wrist strap. When I am sitting or otherwise not engaged it goes back around the neck (diagonally across my body). It is working for me (as an additional benefit) there is a bit of excess strap which lays across the top of the camera as I wrap it and it covers up the red dot so I do not need to put any tape on when I want to be 'stealthy'.

Ditto .....and I find one of the original thin leather Leica straps is perfect ..... nice and supple.

This is the only Leica camera I use without a case ..... somehow the extra bulk added makes it look awful and spoils the ergonomics. 

• Like 2