Australian Landscapes - Open Thread

MarkP

Reedy river bank, the reach on the Bombala river above the Cambalong bridge - platypus country.

M262/21SEM

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Hi Dave, thanks, I'm glad you like the shot, it's rather a study in simplicity.

I bought the 21SEM second hand back in May from the Camera Exchange in Melbourne. Being slightly on the slow side it isn't an expensive lens but it is an absolute joy.

Actually I had stopped buying lenses, but.....you know how it goes. MarkP is responsible.....his beautiful images made with his 21SEM completely eroded my will to resist.

You could think about it..... :)

• Like 3

John, what a great pleasure to have you stumble upon this thread and add your beautiful image, a wind-whipped sky echoing the foreground rocks and the distant hills drawing the eye.

Also may I thank you for the infusion of new blood here (this thread) which is most welcome....please keep posting   :)

Thanks Dee! It's a good part of the world. Two things stand out to me:

1. Clouds are much more interesting than a blank sky.  Like a good movie soundtrack they add a lot. This is a good web site for clouds.
  2. I've always been wary of shooting from plane windows (reflections, flare, haze etc) but MarkP has it nailed by the look of things. No more putting the camera in the overhead locker. On the last long haul flight I did over Central Asia, a truly amazing landscape, I successfully convinced the flight attendants that I suffer from claustrophobia and they allowed me to keep the shutter partly up during the day!
  • Like 2

Actually I had stopped buying lenses, but.....you know how it goes. MarkP is responsible.....his beautiful images made with his 21SEM completely eroded my will to resist.

My wife would call me a saboteur. But aren't you glad you succumbed?  

I've always been wary of shooting from plane windows (reflections, flare, haze etc) but MarkP has it nailed by the look of things. No more putting the camera in the overhead locker. 

Somewhere over far-Notherrn Queensland

M240, 1.4/50 Summilux ASPH

Lucky I had my camera bag at my feet. Moments after I took this the sun dropped below the clouds and the whole scene went soft blue grey.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Dave, thanks, I'm glad you like the shot, it's rather a study in simplicity.

I bought the 21SEM second hand back in May from the Camera Exchange in Melbourne. Being slightly on the slow side it isn't an expensive lens but it is an absolute joy.

You could think about it..... :)

This is one lens that you won't regret buying. I have owned or used a lot of 20/21mm lenses and the SEM is the best by far. I'm certain that you will enjoy using it. Good one Mark ;) .

• Like 2

Hi Dan, it's strange to see 'my territory' in the hands of someone else. That beach is where I walk Jupiter most mornings.

Your pic of the Murray Sunset National Park inspires me to post some images from our fabulous trip up there. Maybe in a day or two. Busy doing some kitchen renovations at present.

Granite boulders, dappled sunlight and ferns - Myanba creek on the coastal escarpment of the Monaro.

MM/APO50

Edited by platypus
  • Like 8

Granite boulders, dappled sunlight and ferns - Myanba creek on the coastal escarpment of the Monaro.

That has a very old style Hollywood film feel about it. A 'romantic' sort of jungle feel which I do rather like.

• Like 1

That has a very old style Hollywood film feel about it. A 'romantic' sort of jungle feel which I do rather like.

pgk,

Thank you for this interesting comment, it gives the impression that you have taken the time to really look at my image and that is a great compliment.

• Like 1

Haven't posted here for awhile. (So much to do, so little time!)

Anyway, these pics are from the post Australsian Leica One Challenge outback tour.

Pink Lakes, Murray Sunset National Park, Victoria (Australia). Historically, they supplied pink salt which was gathered as a result of natural evaporation of the lakes. Walking on the salt pans leaves your footprints full of water.

M10 + 75/2 cron.

• Like 4

This is Dan and Risuko (competition participants) walking on the salt pans.

Same camera and lens.

• Like 4

Pyramid Rock, Melbourne.
M8.2, Summaron 35/2.8.

Edited by anindyo
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

The beautifully named Our Lady Star of the Sea church at Dalgety, NSW., is far from the sea. 

A tiny, stone church built in 1878, with two chunky, buttressed and crenellated towers on either end,

it sits on it's hill high above the iconic Snowy river with a panoramic view of the Kosciuszko main range.

M262/21SEM

• Like 5

Summilux 35

• Like 4