Leica pics of the new T-lenses

Guest Alxndr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Q was intended to be somewhat M-like. The T, SL, and S are not.

However they do it, the two problems that they really need to solve with the T, and SL with regards to MF have to do with where your eyes ere.

With the M and the Q you do not have to take your eye off of your subject to focus once you have your brain programmed for a particular focal length and you've calibrated your binocular vision to work as a rangefinder.

For example:

Infinity - hit the stop on the right

on my 50 lux: 1.2m is 6, 1.5m is 7, 8 is about 2m...

and I can know where I am based upon the position of the tab by feel.

if I need to I can glance down and see the aperture and the scale.

With free spinning focus rings:

infinity - spin a lot to the right

then I suppose that I can do something like spin to the right then back off to the left some known amount for particular distances but without a physical reference point it is impossible to know where I am without looking at the back of the camera and it makes it a two step process rather than a fine tuning by feel.

At least the SL is a little better in that it will tell you your focal distance and min and max focus by glancing down at the top display but you still can't do it by feel.

How much harder would it be to give stops and a tab vs. how much easier would it make using the lenses?