Leica pics of the new T-lenses

Guest Alxndr

Apparently the brochure is 20 pages

No it isn't. Maybe Adobe is fooling you into thinking it has no more pages. But you should focus on the page numbers 'printed' in the corners of the brochure's pages. It's on pp. 29 en 39.

Edited by Alxndr
  • Like 1

I feel quite relieved!

It appears Leica has a lens roadmap for the T with a 35/1.4 (50mm equiv) and 60mm/2.8 macro.  How perfect for my needs!

I love the T and its image quality, and am looking to build a larger set of prime lenses.   

I was thinking about picking up a 35/2 Summicron M lens - but maybe now I will wait...

It was also interesting to separately read in one of the reviews (I forget which one) about how much faster the T lenses focused on the new SL body.  That indicates that these T lenses should work even faster on a next-gen T.  

That's all good news for T owners!

Cheers.  

DGP

I looked through the list of R lenses the R to L adapter could accommodate, but

did not see the 280mm, F 2.8.  Could this just be a mistake or will the 280 not be able to be

used on the R to L system.

Ciao,  Sully

Edited by Sully

Inline from that PDF for those who just wanted to see the T lenses. Quite a big larger than the 23mm! But at f/1.4 that's not so surprising.

Leica – no other name has such strong links with reportage photography. This is why the classic focal length of 50 mm (equivalent in 35 mm format) simply must be represented in the Leica TL lens portfolio. Here, the newly developed Leica Summicron-TL is the reference lens that delivers performance characteristics that are unequaled by comparable lenses and possesses the ability to exploit the full potential of modern camera systems. The range of prime lenses is rounded off by the focal lengths 35 and 90 millimeters (equivalent in 35 mm format). All three of these prime lenses deliver images with the unique Leica look, the unmistakable bokeh, and each of them is impressive on account of their exceptional imaging performance from maximum to minimum aperture at all distances from in nity to their closest focusing distance.

Leica Summicron-T 23 mm f/2 ASPH. (equivalent to 35 mm in 35 mm format)

Leica Summilux-TL 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH. (equivalent to 50 mm in 35 mm format)

Available spring 2016.

Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 mm f/2.8 ASPH. (equivalent to 90 mm in 35 mm format)
Available late 2016. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by julian m

I looked through the list of R lenses the R to L adapter could accommodate, but

did not see the 280mm, F 2.8.  Could this just be a mistake or will the 280 not be able to be

used on the R to L system.

Ciao,  Sully

APO-Telyt-R 280mm f/2.8 is listed. It's out of sequence respective to the f/4 version.

Am glad they are coming out with those lenses, but they are full frame so expect a giant price tag.  For the T, I would have a hard time justifying spending the money for them unless I also had an SL to take full advantage of them.  I kind of suspect however, just sheer speculation, that they will come out with a smaller sleeker FF camera that can use these lenses.  

Am glad they are coming out with those lenses, but they are full frame so expect a giant price tag.  For the T, I would have a hard time justifying spending the money for them unless I also had an SL to take full advantage of them.  I kind of suspect however, just sheer speculation, that they will come out with a smaller sleeker FF camera that can use these lenses.  

hello, these are crop lenses with the renamed mount TL, the full frame one's are called SL, but they are the same mount, it is just to differentiate.

So these are crop lenses on the pipeline.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying.  I will look forward to seeing them.

but.....wait a minute....just relooked at the PDF.  Are you saying all these new TL lenses are cropped???  Why would one buy them for the SL then???  I am confused.  My understanding is the SL camera using the existing T lenses will only get you a 10mp image.  Why on earth would someone want them on an SL?

oh.  Just asked michael.  They are cropped!! 

Edited by billinghambaglady

Thanks for clarifying.  I will look forward to seeing them.

but.....wait a minute....just relooked at the PDF.  Are you saying all these new TL lenses are cropped???  Why would one buy them for the SL then???  I am confused.  My understanding is the SL camera using the existing T lenses will only get you a 10mp image.  Why on earth would someone want them on an SL?

Because they are smaller and still have AF.

...and because Leica will soon release a 36MP SL which will give you about the same resolution as on the T. I don't know this for sure but I would bet on it.

i think that word is finally getting out that the SL itself is not that big and heavy it is the 24-90 f/2.8-4

One thing that I'm kind of disappointed about with the new T lenses is they are like the current lenses. I was hoping that they would be more like the Qs lens. With:

1. Aperture ring on the lens with scale. Electronic.
  2. Manual focus tab.
  3. Stops at minimum focus-infinity focus length rather than free spinning. Quoting: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4388590157/a-second-glance-two-takes-on-the-leica-x "When compared to other focus-by-wire systems, this camera does things well. The focus ring has hard stops at minimum focus and infinity within less than one 360-degree revolution (something Olympus has also got right on a handful of its Micro Four Thirds lenses). This solves two major problems with focus-by-wire systems. First, it means minimum and infinity are always where you left them. There aren't any sort of algorithms calculating how fast the focus mechanism should move based on how quickly the ring was turned, and it means that infinity isn't going to be anywhere from 1 to 16 turns away: it will always be within one turn of the wrist. Plus, this system enables Leica to paint on a pretty distance scale instead of forcing you to stare at a screen to estimate focus distance. Combine this easy to use manual focusing with focus peaking and finally there is a compact camera with fast, simple manual focusing."

One thing that I'm kind of disappointed about with the new T lenses is they are like the current lenses. I was hoping that they would be more like the Qs lens.

The Q was intended to be somewhat M-like. The T, SL, and S are not.

Leica will soon release a 36MP SL which will give you about the same resolution as on the T. I don't know this for sure but I would bet on it.

Don’t bet too much on it as you will lose it.

Ooh, a 60mm!

A compact 60mm f/2 in SL mount would be wonderful... Sorry, just dreaming. I like normals that are just a wee bit longer than normal. ;-)

(I used the link and downloaded the SL Catalogue. Happy to say that all of my R lenses are listed on R adapter SL compatible list! Woo hoo! :-)

G

Edited by ramarren

New lenses look nice, but in the same vein as Sony, they are becoming bigger and bigger.

I'm a self confessed Leica fan boy, but found myself buying a used Sony a900 and the Zeiss 85/1.4 last week. I have a wedding to photograph early next year and was tossing up using the X-Vario and or the Leica T. I don't have any lenses for the T, except my M manual ones, and I'd prefer AF. The a900 and Zeiss 85 cost me the same money as a used T 18-56, and is something I can/will sell once the requirements are over.

I'd dearly love a fixed 34/1.4 in AF, just like the one I had on my Fuji X Pro. It was not huge, it was sharp, and it was reasonably priced. Why the new T lenses have to be so big, and so expensive is beyond me.

Gary

Nice to know Leica is not forgetting the T. One of the main advantages of this camera should be, beside the innovative interface and IQ is small size and low weight. I hope weight and size of new lenses will not compromise it.

robert