Leica SF-40 Flash Unit

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If my memory serves me well, I believe the 'Leica' system is actually based on the Nikon configuration. I recall buying an off-camera cord for my M camera some time ago and that is why I retain that association in my mind. If so, the Nikon version of the Nissin should work.

A Nikon flash will work on a digital M body in Manual and Auto (auto thyristor) modes, but not TTL.

A Nikon flash will work on a digital M body in Manual and Auto (auto thyristor) modes, but not TTL.

I agree. But my needs were  not for TTL. Several professionals prefer working with off-camera flash without TTL. I always worked that way, using a separate flash meter for exposure control.

• 3 weeks later...

Leica SL and Leica SF-40. I cannot get the flash exposure compensation -2 to +2 to work, neither on TTL nor on A.

Any solutions?

On the SL you MUST set flash exposure comp in the camera rather than on the flash unit. It ignores the exposure compensation dial. On the M(240) it uses the dial, but not on the SL.

- Jared

Just for future reference, this is the case for the Leica Q as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since i had a hard time finding pictures of this flash, other than the straight from the front product pictures, i'll post some pictures of the flash alone, and on the Q so people can get a better impression of how it looks, and how big it is :)

I'm very happy with it so far, nice size and weight, seems absolutely capable and powerful enough for most scenarios when i have the Q with me.

5D3_1954.jpg

5D3_1955.jpg

5D3_1966.jpg

5D3_1967.jpg

What kind of wrist strap it is and where to purchase? It looks pretty cool [emoji106]

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just as a side question,

I just purchased the SF40 and want to use the flash by remote trigger. I have several PW III  but there is no sync input on the flash ? how can i fire the flash via remote trigger using my PW III ?

Leica indicates the flash has the capability of "Wireless Slave TTL Functionality" any idea of what they mean by that ?

MJ

Just as a side question,

I just purchased the SF40 and want to use the flash by remote trigger. I have several PW III  but there is no sync input on the flash ? how can i fire the flash via remote trigger using my PW III ?

Leica indicates the flash has the capability of "Wireless Slave TTL Functionality" any idea of what they mean by that ?

MJ

Btw, in case anyone cares to know, pocket wizard has an adapted hot shoe cable HSFM3, for off camera manual only flash when using pocket wizard products.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/cable_accessory/38/HSFM3/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just for future reference, this is the case for the Leica Q as well. 

Maybe firmware 2.0 changed this, but I have the Q and the SF-40, and when on TTL mode, the Flash Exposure Compensation dial on the camera does work, in fact it over-rides the in-camera FEC setting.

Been using my SF-40 with my Leica Q all weekend. Had a couple of issues... wondering whether this is typical behaviour, or an issue with the SF-40 or the Q?

1. Fairly frequently (say every 10 shots or so) the Pilot LED will not turn green but stay red, and the unit won't fire. The only solution is to power the SF-40 off and on again.

2. Occasionally the SF-40 will fire at full power for no apparent reason, after which the Pilot light will stay red as in point 1, and the unit will have to be turned off and on again.

The two seem linked though not completely, as 1 happens much more than 2 does.

Has anyone else experienced this while using the SF-40 or using any flash on the Q? I bought my SF-40 2nd hand however it seems in perfect condition apart from the issues above. I bought it from a camera shop so can fortunately return it i does prove to be faulty.

Been using my SF-40 with my Leica Q all weekend. Had a couple of issues... wondering whether this is typical behaviour, or an issue with the SF-40 or the Q?

1. Fairly frequently (say every 10 shots or so) the Pilot LED will not turn green but stay red, and the unit won't fire. The only solution is to power the SF-40 off and on again.

2. Occasionally the SF-40 will fire at full power for no apparent reason, after which the Pilot light will stay red as in point 1, and the unit will have to be turned off and on again.

The two seem linked though not completely, as 1 happens much more than 2 does.

Has anyone else experienced this while using the SF-40 or using any flash on the Q? I bought my SF-40 2nd hand however it seems in perfect condition apart from the issues above. I bought it from a camera shop so can fortunately return it i does prove to be faulty.

Update on my SF-40 issues. I tested the Q & flash at home today on a tripod with a fixed subject, and was able to replicate both the occasional random full power flash, plus the Pilot Light stuck on red, requiring a power off & on of the flash unit.

I then cleaned the contacts on the flash & the camera hot-shoe with alcohol wipes... and then retested. Lo and behold... everything seemed to work just fine after that. So there was either some grime on the contacts causing a problem, or perhaps a loose connection in a flash contact that some wiggling seems to have resolved, for now at least. I've removed and replaced the flash a few times, and it's not skipping a beat, so hopefully it's all sorted now!

Update on my SF-40 issues. I tested the Q & flash at home today on a tripod with a fixed subject, and was able to replicate both the occasional random full power flash, plus the Pilot Light stuck on red, requiring a power off & on of the flash unit.

I then cleaned the contacts on the flash & the camera hot-shoe with alcohol wipes... and then retested. Lo and behold... everything seemed to work just fine after that. So there was either some grime on the contacts causing a problem, or perhaps a loose connection in a flash contact that some wiggling seems to have resolved, for now at least. I've removed and replaced the flash a few times, and it's not skipping a beat, so hopefully it's all sorted now!

Ok 2nd update; Both issues have unfortunately returned. The issue with having to turn the flash off & on again seems to be the flashes built in 'overheat protection' which according to the manual allows the flash to cool down if 20-30 successive shots are fired at high power. However this problem intermittently appears after just a few shots at low power, and never clears even after a 30 minutes wait, so seems to be a fault with my unit. I still haven't worked out why the unit sometimes fires at full power even when the flash is set to low power manual mode. Anyway the shop I purchased from has agreed to accept the unit back for a full refund, and I am buying a new unit from them instead. Hopefully the replacement will behave itself!