I realy hope the SL is not the end of the M line. Or is this a 1970 remark?

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The concept is fine and for people with a range of existing M, R and maybe T or S lenses the fact they can use them all on one body will obviously appeal, but in isolation I do think it's far too expensive for what it is (yes I know Leica are 'luxury' products blah blah blah). 

I agree... price is HIGH... M is a world apart, S is a MF... but this SL competes face by face with other vendors' products... and the cost difference sounds stunning... anyway, seems they have made a fine modern camera : I whish them success B)

• Like 2

The SL was hinted at in November 2014 but few took any notice :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/214267-the-sony-a7-thread-merged/?p=2701321

The camera is expensive but so must have been the R&D costs. 

It's a Leica system camera for Leica enthusiasts but it's also likely to be the ultimate mirrorless platform. 

dunk

• Like 1

Several comments in the threads about the weight. My R9/DMR plus 21-35mm R weighs 1900g but I don't notice the weight because with the hand loop fitted my hand fits the side of camera like a glove and my fingers fit the grip. With a similar hand loop fitted to the SL it would likely be very easy to carry securely for several hours without fatigue. 

Looking forward to hearing what Doug Herr thinks of the camera and if he has the opportunity to use one, to see how his 280/4 performs with it.

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I found the introduction piece about the SL quite amusing.

Repeating the words "professional", "uncompromising" and "superior" many, many, many times does not make a product any more interesting to potential buyers.

1/3 through the introduction piece I had already lost al interest in finishing the blurb.

Especially strange did I find the many repetitions of mentioning how the SL is an un-compromised all professional camera, aimed at the professional photographer who (likely) needs to earn an income by means of use of professional cameras.

Body: 7500 USD

lens 4000 USD

Are you f*****g kidding me???

Who has that kind of money to throw into one body and one zoom lens and earn a living as a photographer (again with a 35mm system)?

That makes a starter kit of two bodies, one zoom lens and a handful of legacy lenses something like … 25000 USD ? For a 35mm 24MP system?

I think a full frame Canon/Nikon kit looks just a bit more appealing, especially as it's tech is very, very proven.

I see the SL looks like a nice effort to fend off rich photo geeks to splurge on Sony mirrorless bodies to use their collectable lenses with, but nothing more than that.

Regarding the original question of this thread: The SL does not pose any thread to the M system at all. It seems like it is designed to complement (yet I don't see how this system at this price point would make a big impact).

Leica does need a mass market, competitive 35mm mirror less that interests not just the few left over R-lens owners or the few gentlemen whose eyesight has deteriorated enough to make a Sony mirrorless look appealing to adapt their lenses to.

It needs a smash hit, designed to NOT cost the better part of a brand new car AND lead the way technologically (and surely optically as this is known as Leica's forte).

• Like 1

I sure don't understand the complaining. The SL looks like a great addition to an M system. Now you don't have to buy a Nikon or Canon to add a long lens or a zoom lens. And it can be pressed into service as a back up. It may also take some pressure off Leica to make the M do everything.

For that price I rather use a M Monochrom as a backup....

• Like 2

It fills a gap on the Portfolio, but doesn't that miss the Leica point which is differentiation ?

Whats innovative, what's unique ?  I would only be interested if I had a number of non M Leica lenses and felt the need for one solution and missed my old DSLR which I don't !

The S has a place the M is the precious 911, needing care with evolution. Smaller high quality other solutions make some sense, but this doesn't attract me, if it was a small S and offered something to position it as such, 24mp doesn't suggest that's the case. Why not offer a square sensor expanding utilising more more coverage of ff lenses or something different.

Can someone tell me what Leicas product strategy is ? Is the SL simply a gap filler and to reduce customers wanting an R replacement staying happy ?

Leica should differentiate IMO this is yet more dilution isn't it. Or should I have my breakfast n stop being a grumpy old man....

• Like 1