Leica SL (Typ 601) - Mirrorless System Camera Without Compromise

LUF Admin

It is smaller than a R10 would have been. 

It is smaller than any DSLR out there!!!!!

Don't know what the R10 might have been as there isn't one.

Very much bigger than other DSLRs - Nikon Df shows what can be done even with a mirror. This thing is mirrorless so Go knows what they have used all that space for..

Very much bigger than other DSLRs - Nikon Df shows what can be done even with a mirror. This thing is mirrorless so Go knows what they have used all that space for..

Telecentric lenses require a large diameter lens mount

dunk

[...] Very much bigger than other DSLRs - Nikon Df shows what can be done even with a mirror. [...]

The Nikon Df is slighly bulkier in my book but i may be wrong. Besides the Sony A7 would you mind to tell which full frame DSLRs would be smaller than the Leica?

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

The Nikon Df is slighly bulkier in my book but i may be wrong. Besides the Sony A7 would you mind to tell which full frame DSLRs would be smaller than the Leica?

I haven't done the research to answer this, but it looks as though many DSLRs are roughly the same size as the SL..

What does the SL offer that distinguishes it from DSLRs though?  

I can't see anything that would make me want to pay three times the price of a DSLR, although I happily pay the price for an M because it is unique in some important ways. I can't see the real value in the SL, though I appreciate it may be too early for that kind of judgement.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Very much bigger than other DSLRs"?

I'm sorry but that is simply wrong.  The Sony A7 series CSCs are smaller yes, but full-frame DSLRs?  I don't think so.  And by the way, I've owned the Df and that isn't particularly small either (although it's reasonably light for its size).

I haven't done the research to answer this, but it looks as though many DSLRs are roughly the same size as the SL..

What does the SL offer that distinguishes it from DSLRs though?  

I can't see anything that would make me want to pay three times the price of a DSLR, although I happily pay the price for an M because it is unique in some important ways. I can't see the real value in the SL, though I appreciate it may be too early for that kind of judgement.

Better potential for use with legacy lenses and 4K video.

Look forward to seeing SL images made using the 28-90 R  and the 280/4 R lenses. So far, cannot find any. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Better potential for use with legacy lenses and 4K video

dunk

Is that enough?

The more I think about this camera, the more disappointed I become, sadly.

Oddly enough, however, I think it looks nice.  

Edited by Peter H

I occasionally use my M240 with a Zeiss Contax 28-85 f3.3 zoom, as it works beautifully with this excellent lens. However this is only when I have the camera in a car and going to be using it nearby or I am using it at home, as I find it too heavy and bulky to carry around with a total weight of 1646 grams (MF Grip and battery included). With a weight 1987 grams for the SL with the 24-90, that is definitely too much for me to carry around. I find as I get older I carry fewer and fewer lenses and the lighter ones at that but my photography does not seem to suffer. I am also a little disappointed in such a large lens, Leica has been unable to make it f2.8 throughout its range. I wonder if a slower but smaller lens of say f3.4-f5.6 might not be a better seller. Zeiss sold far more of the 35-70 f3.4-4.5 lenses than they did the larger and more expensive 28-85 f3.3. 

Wilson

PS I will probably end up buying one - sigh I usually do.  :rolleyes:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

I absolutely love it... Big a brash! True Leica SLR looks and design.

This is very brave of Leica... And it so "R3"!

That photo that's doing the rounds of the lady holding a massive SL looks like just wide angle distortion to me: the apparent massive size does not match up with the specified dimensions.

• Like 2

That photo that's doing the rounds of the lady holding a massive SL looks like just wide angle distortion to me: the apparent massive size does not match up with the specified dimensions.

I suspect you're right, it is an exaggerated effect. Nevertheless, having got my tape measure out to compare it with my M, I is still very large.

Leica R 28-90mm:

• Length to bayonet flange - 99 mm / 3.9 in
  • Largest diameter - 80 mm / 3.1 in
  • Weight - 740 g / 26.1 oz            

SL 24-90mm:

Dimensions: (DxL)

Approx. 3.46 x 5.43" (88 x 138 mm)

Weight

2.51 lb (1140 g)

1140 g ???

I guess the 90-280mm will require its own caisson...  :p

Looks like I'll be enjoying manual focus for a while longer . . . :)  

I agree, and E82 vs E67.

I'll be keeping my 28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R for a while yet.

However I wonder what the new 24-90 Vario-Elmarit-SL zoom will do to the price of the R.

Edited by MarkP

However I wonder what the new 24-90 Vario-Elmarit-SL zoom will do to the price of the R.

Mark,

I would thought it would have to at least moderate the price increases that lens has had over the last couple of years. The Contax 28-85/3.3 always looked very good value in comparison, when I paid €500 for a new old stock one two years ago. The 24-90 is (for Leica!) quite reasonably priced at £3150. I assume that it cannot be difficult to make in comparison to say the 50 APO, which now looks rather expensive. 

Wilson

Mark,

I would thought it would have to at least moderate the price increases that lens has had over the last couple of years. The Contax 28-85/3.3 always looked very good value in comparison, when I paid €500 for a new old stock one two years ago. The 24-90 is (for Leica!) quite reasonably priced at £3150. I assume that it cannot be difficult to make in comparison to say the 50 APO, which now looks rather expensive. 

Wilson

Wilson, you never know what will happen in Leica Land. The advent of the SL could even push the price of the 28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R up a little further if, as is possible, a few SL buyers go looking for the best "legacy" lenses to rationalise their latest investment.

• Like 1