So, is Leica M 240 still worth buying?

Alan Aurmont

The M240 is definitely worth buying.

This camera + a lens weighs about 2 kilos. That's about 700 grams more than a M240 + Noctilux 0.95, which is also already way too heavy.

I want something lighter than the M240, and more compact. I did not see this behemoth coming... Nobody was asking for it, and the over-sized SL lenses.

And with the cost of the SL and the lenses it won't have a chance head to head against the A7RII + Zeiss combo.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The answer if fairly simple, you want a rangefinder,  only a better M could be a reason not to buy an M.

If anyone is wondering whether is M worth buying just because there is a new camera, then they don't really need/want a rangefinder and are better off buying something else.

I think the M is very safe and now relatively cheap.  After all the M is supposedly dear because of the unique opto-mechanics surrounding the rangefinder. A top end electronic EVF in the SL might be initially expensive but in the long run it will quickly become very cheap. It will pop up in all sorts of cameras. A price tag higher than an  M is pure price positioning. Just like the price of the Q. Either both the Q and SL are very expensive, or the M is very cheap. (I know 'cheap' is not a word that should be used here...)

Telephoto is nice but I can have cheaper options as far as backup for M, like waiting for a new M.  I presume the next one will also have better ISO, better EVF, maybe be slimmer and faster so as to satisfy even the fastest 'cameraslingers'

Bottom line, the SL looks like it will be a good M backup/complement especially in the telephoto/action range. For me the size is not an issue, it is not an M. The price is!

Edited by Adam

I really like this new SL. It's incredible and it will complement my M system well. I feel it covers many of the areas the M was not designed for and I will always have my M for the sort of work it is ideal for. The fact I can jump straight in with my M Lenses, and it will take S lenses too, and I can shoot decent motion, natively, within the same system and with the same lenses is quite an exciting prospect. Finally we're living in the future where limitations are fewer.

I have to say, I am blown away that Leica has created, probably, the most futuristic design that is available. The features and specs are one thing, but the industrial design is also exceptional.

Congratulations Leica, this is what a high end marque should be creating, setting the pace and the tone for the future.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 6

Maybe the M240 might not be a good purchase at the moment if we are expecting a new M to be introduced.

I like my M. I like having to do everything manual with it. Its like having a drawing done with a paintbrush versus having one printed. Both can be beautiful but only one would have a soul.

My M is safe and if the next M has an ISO thats much superior than the current one then it'll be reason for me to switch, but till then I'll wait.

...I did not see this behemoth coming... Nobody was asking for it, and the over-sized SL lenses...

That's not exactly accurate.  There are thousands and thousands of R-mount lenses that R-owners have been crying for a digital body to mount them on since the demise of the R9.  This camera is NOT aimed at the already-established base of M owners... it's aimed at the already-established base of R owners.    it won't take anything away from the M line, and likely the M line will benefit from the technology introduced in the SL.

• Like 2

I came from Canon to Leica because of the size of the lenses and the quality of the camera/lenses.  I own the smallest Leica lenses and one M8.2 and M9.  I think they are wonderful cameras (as long as the M9 does not get the sensor damaged again).  I will probably stay with them for a while.

Very impressive camera (and I hope it sells really well) but I won't be buying one yet, certainly not until I've seen the next M.

But it is tempting - Weather sealing and the time exposure of up to 30 minutes, and there are times when a good AF would be nice.

So I can see that, as mentioned above, it would coplement and overlap with my extensive M system and R zoom lenses

IQ is similar between the M240 and SL, but maybe a stop or so improved DR at high ISO (Sean Reed).  I already have a 28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R (and an 80-200 Vario-Elmar-R), and although the SL zoom goes down to 24mm the lens is also 400gm heavier and larger, so at the moment there is no real advantage for me. Oh, and no direct R-SL adapter for a year?

I agree that I hope the technological advances in sensor, EVF (which would overcome most issues for my R-zooms and fast lenses wide open), processing & buffer speed, long exposure times, etc are in the next M (oh and I'd really like an optional display of a shutter speed display in the VF on manual mode, and heresy perhaps even an histogram). 

Edited by MarkP

Although the M 240 has its place in the Leica family of bodies and lenses, its future is bleak..It is far too expensive for the limited features it offers and the people who are new to photography might be more inclined to find  the image quality and cost benefit  in another brand..As production costs increase and other Asian manufactures continue research and produce higher quality cameras, the Leica brand will fall behind..The new SL looks like it is DOA according to the leica forum..

Therefore the needed revenue from the sale of the SL will probably  not be forthcoming..

You can never go wrong buying an M240.  Though that decision depends on what your needs are.  My combination of M240 and Q make a great pair.  I sold my Sony A7 and A7s and have not looked back.  I must admit that I also use the Leica EVF-2 for the M240 based on a recommendation from Thorsten von Overgaard.