first images of the new SL

cpclee

However, the decision to go with a 24MP sensor is very deceiving. 

No it's not since no new FF Leica camera can have a higher MP count than the flagshiop S.

The good news is that Leica seems to validate the Leica T model.

Or perhaps they can now get rid of excess T lens stock.

Bottom line is that most Leica fans will most likely bite the bullet, and bridge the gap and mount their favorite, proven M (or other) lenses via adapter, hence downgrading a full AUTO camera to a manual. 

Do not agree. I believe Leica just handed Sony more sales.

I

The T was like a Sony NEX and the SL is like a Sony 7... The body seems a bit ugly to me (maybe it is more functional than a typical Sony body... lets see). There are many design elements from the S..., in the body and the lenses.

The lenses are huge. They might aggravate the ergonomics/balance problems of the body (small and light body, large lenses).

The system is very expensive, compared with the Sony 7 alternative (for new users). The body is too expensive for a backup unit for M lenses, for instance. So, if you plan to use M lenses, a M body is the best solution. The leaves the door open to the possibility of a M-mount EVF-based body, lighter and with a lower price, for M users.

The technical specifications are state of the art (the EVF, stabilization in the lenses, fast AF operation, IQ from the sensor, etc.). 

I like it. I like this new system. It is a modern, AF alternative to the M system.

Edited by rosuna

An A7R ii with Zeiss lenses would be cheaper, has a great sensor, dynamic range and higher ISO, so if this is real what is the killer feature? Maybe it plays nice with wide angle M lenses with an adapter of course. Maybe there is an R adapter coming out at the same time...?

I want to see what the viewfinder delivers..... very glad about image stabilization.... waiting to see other primes... batteries????.....4k video???

If it has video, I hope it has an output for an external monitor, so, you can actually use it on a professional video production.

Ciao,  Sullly

Whats that in the right upper corner of the camera? Is it the electronic viewfinder? Maybe it is the integrated flash-unit :D

It could be a supplementary light level sensor to guestimate aperture value just as the M does.

• Like 1

Too bad...

If Leica was listening to photographers needs then they would buid an adaptor for R lenses actuating the diaphragm when the shutter opens.

They would also upgrade the M with an improved sensor and EVF.

M lenses are better used on a rangefinder, no problem taking pictures this way with aperture closed.

Why on earth try to sell a mirrorless camera that will not be very useful for M lenses and will also not be convenient for R lenses ?

More expensive and specs not up to what is already on the market ?

It looks exquisitely beautiful.  Stunning!

Reading Kristian's first review of the camera and lenses... I want one.  This so far looks like Leica has just made a 35mm mirrorless S!  Of course the price is going to be the trolling factor on this one, but it looks like a home run.

Rick

• Like 4

There is no DOF scale on the S lenses either... which I don't like and miss sometimes, especially the wide angles.

Cant remember if its the S typ007 or the Phaseone XF that shows focus distance, nearest and furthest points infocus on the top LCD, like the engraved DOF scales on a lens would.

As for the SL - i wont be buying one - it looks huge - i though the idea of Mirrorless was to make smaller, lighter cameras ?

Edited by Echo63
  • Like 1

As I said in another thread: 

- both the new camera and lenses look very BIG! 

- no real innovation compared to what the market is already offering at a lower price (ie. Sony A7RII);

- very expensive system.

I'm confident IQ will be as good (or even better) compared to what Sony offers, but still why should I buy a camera at that price if it does not offer something unique?? The M system, even if it's very expensive, is a better choice in my opinion, it offers something that other cameras in the market don't have: a light and small system with outstanding image quality!

If I'm looking for a backup system with AF lenses, I believe there are better and cheaper options (Sony A7 or even a small APS-C system like a Leica T or Fuji X-T1 camera). This is new system is expensive, huge, heavy and (so far) doesn't offer anything unique ... 

Maybe a viable and practical option would be to use this new camera with the smaller 18-56 and 55-135 mm T-mount zoom lenses and than, when maximum quality is needed, use a fixed full-frame lens (m or sl mount).

• Like 1