How many have you dealt with a red line/dead pixel issue?

happy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New owner of an M8, and I noticed the dreaded red line! More noticeable at high ISO and when the hot pixel is in a dark area. Seller claims he's never noticed... I am inclined to believe him in this case.

It's an eBay transaction, and the seller offered a return. However, I did get a good enough deal (and its very low mileage) that I'd consider keeping it if Leica would fix it for free. The ~4 week turnaround for a pixel fix is about equal to the time to return the item, get my money from paypal, and order another M8, which might have the problem as well!

Just wondering who of you out there have experienced red line issues, or have you never experienced issue? And if you have experienced it, did you send it in for repair? What was turnaround time/cost?

I am not really interested in using Pixel Fix. I use Mac OS and I also shoot professionally so it would hurt my workflow. I've made a photoshop action and can live with it for the time being, but I'd probably send it in after the holidays. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I experienced it as a seller as well.  I'd never found it, and even though I sent files to the buyer for inspection, he didn't find it for several days after he bought it either.  IIRC, it was about $500 to have it repaired, and the camera subsequently gone through completely; we split the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to my first M8.2 three years ago - sent it to Solms for a remap - just dug out the invoice and the cost was 111 euro plus the carriage fee (UK).  Only took about three weeks.  New M8u requires same treatment so will soon found out if cost has increased and service times have improved now back at Wetzlar.

James

• Like 1

Logged onto Leica UK this morning and downloaded the repair form for the pixel remap.  Packed up M8u (minus strap, card and battery) with printed copies of two images showing the dead pixels/lines at iso 2500 along with the same images burned as tif's on a cd.

I then rang Leica Mayfair and arranged a UPS transit of the package - email sent immediately with UPS transit note and tracking.

Dropped off package at UPS collection point (a nearby newsagent) with collection confirmed for today.

Will update as to progress when it happens.

• Like 1

I had it in 2012. At that time you could choose the repair time. Do not know if this option is still available. I took the 5 day service and exactly 5 days after it was received in Solms my M8 returned to me. Think it was about 250 €. They also cleaned the sensor.

Best

When they did my M8.2 three years ago turn round time was (if I recall correctly) 4 weeks (under standard repair time - accelerated repair was extra).  They also realigned the rangfinder and cleaned the sensor.

M8u just arrived at Wetzlar today (according to UPS).  No confirmation yet from Leica.

James

Excellent indeed! 

My 8.2 has been at Solms since early September.........

I had a cyan pixel that appeared even at base ISO and triggered a line at anything over base. I didn't notice it initially on screen but when I used higher ISOs or brought up the shadows it was very clear.

Leica say the sensor cannot be remapped (that took several weeks.....) and they are going to replace the sensor. 

The good news is that the body was still under dealer warranty, the bad news is that Leica don't actually have any of the sensors at the moment!

I phoned the dealer today and it looks like it could be another 4 weeks (ie over 3 months in total).

Obviously it's great that Leica will still service the M8, but the timescale means I have a mental image of a poor Solms worker carefully adding fresh pixels to a chip with some tiny tiny tiny tweezers.....

Nigel

(First and possibly last forum post if I don't get the thing back soon)

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried this on both an M8 and an M8.2 (don't suppose there is a difference but thought it best to note) and it did not work at all.  Both cameras went back to Leica and were remapped for about 110 euro - somewhat less than many would suggest and this also included rangefinder alignment.

Sorry Paul - I have seen your posts on this on a number of threads but I have not seen anyone respond to support this view.

i do not doubt this worked for you but the reality is that with dead pixels/line only a remap will deliver.

James

Edited by bideford

i had and still have a dead pixel with my M8. becomes a white line from 640 ISo an up when the pixel is in an dark area of the picture.

it doesn't bother me at all. when necessary, i will repair a single picture but most of the times its not visible to the viewer of a picture anyway.

i rather take pictures than worry about single faulty pixels...

I received a UPS notification yesterday that the camera was on it's way back to the Uk from Wetzlar - due to arrive on Monday - 21st December.

Given that I dropped off the camera at a UPS pick up point on the 13th November, all in all a five week turn around including shipping both ways.  Leica indicated a four week turn around at the factory when I enquired as to progress last week - so pretty much true to to their word.

James

i had and still have a dead pixel with my M8. becomes a white line from 640 ISo an up when the pixel is in an dark area of the picture.

it doesn't bother me at all. when necessary, i will repair a single picture but most of the times its not visible to the viewer of a picture anyway.

i rather take pictures than worry about single faulty pixels...

Different matter with several (in this case I had eight) dead pixels - with two plainly evident at base iso.  Particularly with B&W.

I think that most of us here would rather take pictures than worry about single faulty pixels (or even additional post processing).

James

Final update.  Camera arrived today as per UPS notification.

All work as previously posted complete.  Tested and no dead pixels/lines evident.

Conclusion - do not be perturbed/scared/whatever by forum posts if you have a dead pixel/line issue.  Four weeks turnaround (once at Wetzlar) and the cost of an hour of engineers labour to remap - including rangefinder calibration and sensor clean is a very fair return by Leica - and this includes shipping (from UK).  Add in that excellent communication from customer care.

This is my experience twice now with a three year interval between each case.

James

Edited by bideford