SF-58 Flash Auto Mode Indirect Flash Issue

findranger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am scratching my head for nearly two houres now, here is the problem:

I am using the SF-58 on M9. TTL works fine, but there is a problem with Auto Mode and bounce flash.

In Auto Mode I am supposed to set the aperture manually on lens and flash (ISO info from camera).

Here is what happens:

Set aperture to f2.8 on lens and flash > exposure fine.

Set aperture to f8 on lens and flash > exposure 3 stops underexposed (as if flash is still set to f2.8)

I put the flash head to rest position, then back to bounce position > exposure is fine!

Same thing the other way around, then with overexposure issue.

Is this normal? I don't understand this behavior. I tried several times, always with the same result.

Is the flash supposed to be in rest position to change its output via its aperture setting?

Thank you very much!

It is the same on my SF58.

My guess - only a guess - is that you need to have the flash head horizontal ( or close to horizontal ) for the new adjustment to take effect. If you change settings while the flash head is up the new setting is not conveyed.

The reason I guess this way - and hope other users correct me if wrong - is that the flash range indicator will go off from the screen when you use auto and then turn the head up. The indicator will come back on screen when you return the head to horizontal ( or 7 degrees according to the manual ). Now if the range indicator behaves like this, wouldn't it be possible that other information (change of settings) would be similar that the head and the body can "talk" only when the head is horizontal? Once they "talked", the new setting took place, and you can tilt the head up again and the flash will go off according to the new setting.

I am by no means an expert in this but hoping someone else would chime in so I can learn, too.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a SF 58 with this strange behavior, Phil.

But there is no need for the camera to "talk" to the flash, because I set the flash manually to the desired f-stop.

The only thing that is transmitted from cam to flash is iso, and that i do not change.

Called Metz today, they want to get back to me this week.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sf-58 in Auto mode and head in bounce position is my normal use of the flash and I have not experienced this issue.  Now I keep the secondary illuminator disabled.  Normally it would be active in bounce mode and would be automatically disabled when the head is in the normal position.  You might try turning it off and see if that changes things for you.

Thanks Luke for chiming in.

It makes no difference for me whether I have the secondary flash on or off. I just tried. If the head was up it has to come down once to "talk" to the body then goes back up, then everything is fine. Otherwise it will over/underexpose if the aperture is changed (both on the flash and the lens).

That's right. Easy solution if you are close by a Leica service center and are willing to ship it in for factory installation (!) of the new firmware. Unfortunately for me I gave up on it and decided to live with any little quirks version 1.1 has. Shipping back and forth, possible involvement of Customs Office of different countries, and lost of use for possible extended period of time...all work against me. :(

I use Auto mode often since it eliminates the pre-flash that triggers the blink reflex in some subjects.  My Nikon flashes work perfectly well on my Ms in Auto mode.  I just have to remember to enter the ISO as well as the shooting aperture.  If the issue with the SF-58 is really troublesome, an inexpensive, older Nikon flash might be a good solution.

I also use a Nikon SB-28 flash before I got the SF-58 for the TTL function. Actually they both work well in M, A, or TTL (in SF58). That's why I am not overly upset with the firmwae update situation. One of these days if I happen to be strolling near Allendale (or Wetzler) I might then drop the flash off for them to work on. Until then, life goes on.