Autumn Light in BW series 2

Iduna

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is part 2 of my bw series. Sometimes bw is "color" enough. The rich shade of monochrome tones is amnifold and exciting enough.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Olympus EM 5 with Nocticron 43 mm

• Like 2

no 2

Canon 5D MKII with Elmarit R 28 mm

no 3

Canon 5D MKII with Elmarit R 28 mm

no 4

Olympus EM 5 with Nocticron 43 mm

• Like 1

Stuart,

thank you for your feedback. Yes, sometimes it is strange. Emotion, reason and behaviour is not calculable. Why do very weak, even bad pictures get 99 stars in 1 hour on Flickr? I am happy here on the forum where people almost seem to know each other and can have a high level exchange. We'll keep going....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry, I was going to comment last night but got sidetracked.

I really like 1# 4, especially #1.

To comment specifically on #1, the sunlit background foliage silhouetting the foreground trees with dark to light transition in #1 is gorgeous.  In find that often in-focus background foliage can look cluttered and gritty (sorry a bit like in #2) and therefore detract from the foreground unless shot at wider aperture till blurred), but the backlighting in #1 gets around this.

Mark,

many thanks for your interesting and detailed comment. I agree with you. No 2 got a bit highpassfilter which means nothing else than added contrast. It can be rendered more softly and I know what you mean. Thanks for the hint.  I'll add a smoother version in a day or two. 

• Like 1

Iduna!...please accept my apology for this late response to your (as always) lovely set of images. Cannot think how I have overlooked them until now.

The toning you have used is perfect for the subject (I think) it has a timeless quality and makes one feel that these images could have been made long ago...or yesterday.

In a way all four images, with their muted tones and stillness, remind me of the work of the wonderful Atget, as they have a similar mood and subtlety. 

And yes!....what is the answer to your rhetorical question regarding the quality of some 99+ offerings to be seen on Flickr, it has puzzled me too at times. In the end I usually put it down to

the old saying that "there is no accounting for taste". 

Dee,

your response makes me happy and much honoured. :)

It was indeed in my mind how those historic pictures look. It is the toning and its tranquillity. One cannot achieve the haptic look of those old technique in digital software but one can create the feeling. I am happy if this is the case then. Therefeore I always use a tripod . It provides a slow approach and is a tremendous help in focussing on the main subject keeping out disturbing things. A few days ago I was again there using a fisheye lens (Samyang 8 mm). That was a real challenge.

David,

thank you so much for your encouraging comment.

Rodrigue,

thanks for your feedback. I feel encouraged to keep going.