M8 not writing DNG files error persits

Go Figure

How could this be normal? Your Leica store doesn't seem to have any clue about the M8 and digital Ms in general. In dng & jpeg mode the camera must write two files for each shot on the card, one dng and one jpeg as expected. Try another card or format yours with SDFormatter to make sure if the problem comes from the card.

Have you tried other memory cards in your camera? It could be a failing card.

new SDSDRX38192A2card recommended by forum members bought from Adorama, only 2 in camera format cycles, used in this particular M8 only, previously also used 3x Panasonic Gold Series 8GB Class 10 SDHC Memory Card. Then after the Panasonic Gold Series 8GB Class 10 SDHC Memory Card disaster earlier this year I fitted a 16GB Samsung Class 6 card ( now no longer available at B&H ) in the second M8 body which does not drop a file. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

P.S. the guy @ Leica Store - who has exactly the same problem - uses exactly this Sandisc 16GB SanDisk 30/mb class 10  as recommended by Leica here (but no longer available new anywhere) >>> LEICA Q&A : "WHICH SD MEMORY CARDS ARE RECOMMENDED? WHICH ARE THE FASTEST?

Fundamentally, we recommend San Disk cards as we prefer to use these for compatibility tests at Leica. To ensure optimum exploitation of the camera’s performance potentials, we recommend the use of Class 10 cards with speeds of ≥30 MB/s – e.g. from the SanDisk Ultra or SanDisk Extreme lines. SDXC cards with higher speeds are compatible, but offer no additional benefit in terms of speed compared with SDHC cards." he has the same error as I have ( pls click my profile image to see ZERO bit file with full sized JPG. 

Edited by Mark Ebert

There is no SD card compatibility problem in my experience, at least with the following cards. 

Seems like your M8 has a problem i'm afraid and the guy at the Leica store is taking you for a ride or is simply ignorant...

Lexar SDHC class 10 Pro 600x 90 MB/s (16 GB)

Mustang SDHC class 10 30 MB/s (16 GB)

Panasonic SDHC class 10 Gold Pro 95 MB/s (08 GB)

Panasonic SDHC class 10 Gold Pro 95 MB/s (16 GB)

Samsung SDHC class 10 48 MB/s (16 GB)

Sandisk SD Extreme III 20 MB/s (01 GB)

Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme 30 MB/s (08 GB)

Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme 45 MB/s (16 GB)

Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme 80 MB/s (16 GB)

Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme Pro 95 MB/s (08 GB)

Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme Pro 95 MB/s (16 GB)

Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme Pro 95 MB/s (32 GB)

Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme Pro 95 MB/s (64 GB)

Toshiba SDHC class 10 Exceria Type 1 95 MB/s (16 GB)

Toshiba SDHC class 10 Exceria Type 1 95 MB/s (32 GB)

Toshiba SDHC UHS-II Exceria Pro 260 MB/s (16 GB) 

Transcend SD 20 MB/s (02 GB)

Transcend SDHC class 10 20 MB/s (08 GB)

Transcend SDHC class 10 200x 30 MB/s (16 GB)

Transcend SDHC class 10 300x 45 MB/s (16 GB)

Transcend SDHC class 10 600x 90 MB/s (16 GB)

• Like 1

This is not normal at all. The most likely cause is your copy of the SD card. I suggest formatting the card with the SDFormatter app, doing an overwrite of the card, i.e. the slower option.

This kind of problem can be caused by the card being removed from the camera or the computer while it was being used.

Clicking on your profile image will show your profile and no useful information about the problem at hand.

For memory cards, format them in the M8 , not on the computer

I do not recommend that, particularly not if there are reasons to assume that card contains formatting errors. The chances that a camera will cope better than the software published by the SD card association for that purpose are not good.

• Like 1

I do not recommend that, particularly not if there are reasons to assume that card contains formatting errors. The chances that a camera will cope better than the software published by the SD card association for that purpose are not good.

Yes , in this case , but I mean "new" mem.*  card Philip

I always format my card in the M8 and I never have problem.

Best

Henry

* Sandisk

Edited by Doc Henry

I only have that problem with one of my M8s and it is the same error that the guy @ Leica has too, with his privately owned M8. The error never showed up as long as I used Lexar 2GB SD cards ( which is what I use again now ) ... if the error is indeed in the camera it must show up sooner or later - so far it has not.

BTW the store does not use SanDisk at all they only use Transcend.

There is no SD card compatibility problem in my experience, at least with the following cards. 

Seems like your M8 has a problem i'm afraid and the guy at the Leica store is taking you for a ride or is simply ignorant...

)

This the card that produced the most problems I had 3x Panasonic SDHC class 10 Gold Pro 95 MB/s (08 GB ) with the grey colored lock tab. The ones with the yellow lock did not work at all > as one of the M8's would not even recognize the card.

This the card that produced the most problems I had 3x Panasonic SDHC class 10 Gold Pro 95 MB/s (08 GB ) with the grey colored lock tab. The ones with the yellow lock did not work at all > as one of the M8's would not even recognize the card.

One of my most-used card on the M8.2. Never got the least problem with it so far...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

BTW compatibility with SDHC cards has been added by firmware update 2.000 in september 2008. You may wish to check that your firmware number is 2.000, 2.002, 2.004, 2.005, 2.014 or 2.024. I have all the corresponding firmware update files if you are interested.

One of my most-used card on the M8.2. Never got the least problem with it so far...

attachicon.gifPana_Gold_pro_08gb.jpg

yes that is the first version of the card I have 3 of them - the contemporary version has a yellow locking tab and get's rejected by one of the m8s immediately P.S. I shoot M8 not M8.2

reason: I live in a hot climate and painfully learned about epoxy lamination problems in sensors from my experience with 5x Kodak Slr/n and C.

their sensors are rendering useless for years already as they used the wrong expoxy lamination. ( Same reason I used Sigma Sds - same reason I never bought a M9 )

Edited by Mark Ebert

BTW compatibility with SDHC cards has been added by firmware update 2.000 in september 2008. You may wish to check that your firmware number is 2.000, 2.002, 2.004, 2.005, 2.014 or 2.024. I have all the corresponding firmware update files if you are interested.

I am on the newest FW - thank you again !