How to make the viewfinder monochrome?

katsanes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm used to being able to pick a monochrome JPEG setting so that my viewfinder goes monochrome too, and the DNGs stay RAW of course.  I did just get the Q, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this on the Q, anyone know?  I did see someone say it's possible, but didn't say how to do it.

Thanks!

Well - I think I figured it out and it is weird.  You have to set the JPEG settings for Saturation to Monochrome - but the viewfinder stays in color and then after you take a photo it shows you a BW preview.

Is there a way to make the viewfinder monochrome?

Well - I think I figured it out and it is weird.  You have to set the JPEG settings for Saturation to Monochrome - but the viewfinder stays in color and then after you take a photo it shows you a BW preview.

Is there a way to make the viewfinder monochrome?

If i set saturation to monochrome, both the LCD and EVF shows BW pics. My "Auto Review" settings is always off. 

If i set saturation to monochrome, both the LCD and EVF shows BW pics. My "Auto Review" settings is always off. 

Same here, I have set saturation to monochrom, have 35mm crop and output DNG + JPG.

Gives me 28mm DNG colour file and a 35mm B&W JPG file.

Viewfinder and LCD shows monochrome with this setting.

To be sure, I'm talking about the live viewfinder, not the JPEG review images.  Sorry if I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant by the Viewfinder, it's not monochrome live and *before* I click the shutter.  Hoping that becomes a reality either today, or in a future firmware upgrade!? :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To be sure, I'm talking about the live viewfinder, not the JPEG review images.  Sorry if I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant by the Viewfinder, it's not monochrome live and *before* I click the shutter.  Hoping that becomes a reality either today, or in a future firmware upgrade!? :)

When I see in the viewfinder or on the lcd screen before pressing the shutter and taking the picture, it is in monochrome,with the settings I described above.

I think it is only to set saturation to monochrome in jgp settings, and that's it. At least that is what I did.

When I see in the viewfinder or on the lcd screen before pressing the shutter and taking the picture, it is in monochrome,with the settings I described above.

I think it is only to set saturation to monochrome in jgp settings, and that's it. At least that is what I did.

+1 (correct).

there are no other settings to control mono/colour settings displayed in viewfinder.

but note, that you may shoot B+W JPEG, but your RAW file will be in full colour.  

Edited by lucerne

So weird, thanks guys.  I may do a factory reset and see if that helps.  I am only seeing in color with those settings!

Ok, this worked on mine.  Set jpeg saturation setting to monochrome.  When viewing the live view, press the center button on the control pad to cycle views and your view should now come up monochrome.

Cheers!

Brian

• 6 years later...