Any Thoughts on How the New Sony RX1R II with 42mp Will Compare?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you need 14 stops of DR for all your photos (btw your eyes only have 6.5 stops worth of DR) I suggest you learn how to expose properly.

the reason of my my answer was just because of your suggestion ...  you don't need 14stops (but maybe someone does) , and you know how to expose better than someone that you don't know  ...  

Edited by erick

The retina has a static contrast ratio of around 100 000:1 (about 6.5 f-stops to Wikipedia).

To me it looks more like 17 stops btw.

Erick's figure refers to the total dynamic range including the "Aperture" of the iris.

So you are both right or wrong based on how one looks at it.

https://books.google.nl/books?id=6jK_jXsWZXsC&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=dynamic+range+100000&source=bl&ots=Y1OcQPLuoc&sig=Qd4D0AXi1yQRyZ11gksKRiXJ1So&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV5oXomvTJAhVFXhQKHWy7Aa0Q6AEIKTAB#v=onepage&q=dynamic%20range%20100000&f=false

• Like 1

the reason of my my answer was just because of your suggestion ...  you don't need 14stops (but maybe someone does) , and you know how to expose better than someone that you doesn't know  ...  

I was just pointing out that if someone ALWAYS needs 14 stops of DR, they are probably exposing incorrectly and attempting to fix their mistakes in post-processing,  The key word is "always"  I could definitely see benefits for landscapes, but the Sony sensor provides no real advantages for landscapes either because you could bracket the exposure (HDR) and get extra stops of DR.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, and we all know that DXO scores are window dressing as they bear no relationship to image quality, which is far more complex than three simple camera output measurements.

Image quality is subjective there is no measurements for it , and additionally if you are a Leica fan  the subjective part become irrational 

DXO mark do a very good job  :  you get the Color depth, DR and ISO  (I never keep the over all score)

Edited by erick

Yes, and we all know that DXO scores are window dressing as they bear no relationship to image quality, which is far more complex than three simple camera output measurements.

Totally agree. One other thing to note is that the Q has much better color accuracy (especially skin tones) and much better exposure metering than the Sony's. The RX2 may have better DR and supposed color depth, but the Sony metering is all over the target while the Q consistently hits the bulls eye.  So I'm not sure if the RX2 has as much as an advantage as the numbers suggest.

It's always interesting to see a product designed to hit the numbers instead of the user experience. Both are viable strategies - some users are happy knowing that their equipment has high scores. Some people are happy with their equipment's style and personality. Which one doesn't seem to have too much correlation with the quality of the photos, as long as you like using your equipment.

DxO and Sony have a good relationship. DxO provides a target, Sony hits it, both brands get good press. Rinse and repeat.

Personally? Sony makes a great sensor. Maybe the best sensor. But that doesn't make a camera. You need profiles, a UI, a physical box, and a lens (or lenses). How well those integrate is more important to me than the numbers. (You need a photographer, too, and if I could upgrade THAT, I would.)

--Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

Image quality is subjective there is no measurements for it , and additionally if you are a Leica fan  the subjective part become irrational 

DXO mark do a very good job  :  you get the Color depth, DR and ISO  (I never keep the over all score)

But it does not relate to the incredibly good stuff coming out of the DMR, M8 an Digilux2...

Totally agree. One other thing to note is that the Q has much better color accuracy (especially skin tones) and much better exposure metering than the Sony's. The RX2 may have better DR and supposed color depth, but the Sony metering is all over the target while the Q consistently hits the bulls eye.  So I'm not sure if the RX2 has as much as an advantage as the numbers suggest.

Really? Asks this Q and RXIIr user. "Much better", "all over the target", "consistently hits the bull eye", a lot of superlatives. All based on your true own experience of some real quality time with both cameras, I assume.

As far as metering is concerned, the Q has a tendency to blow highlights. The Sony doesn`t. Let`s face it, the Sony sensor simply is better, by quite a margin and not because its superior resolution only. And no, I am not a Sony fan but a Leica user of three systems, M, S, Q. Some things Sony simply does better than Leica, and they deserve credit for it. 

Edited by Ecaton
  • Like 2

Really? Asks this Q and RXIIr user. "Much better", "all over the target", "consistently hits the bull eye", a lot of superlatives. All based on your true own experience of some real quality time with both cameras, I assume.

As far as metering is concerned, the Q has a tendency to blow highlights. The Sony doesn`t. Let`s face it, the Sony sensor simply is better, by quite a margin and not because its superior resolution only. And no, I am not a Sony fan but a Leica user of three systems, M, S, Q. Some things Sony simply does better than Leica, and they deserve credit for it.

Yes, the Sony has the better sensor by quite a margin. Processing is a whole different matter. And this is coming from a current owner of the RX100m4, RX1R, A7S and A7RII. I have seen enough samples to conclude that the RX2 has the typical Sony color pallette. I am a self-proclaimed Sony fanboy, and I'll be the first to admit that Sony has it's weaknesses, which in my opinion are colors, AWB metering, and exposure metering. Edited by Mr.Q