Any Thoughts on How the New Sony RX1R II with 42mp Will Compare?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In case you haven't seen it, Sony just announced the new Sony RX1R II with 42mp sensor, variable AA filter, built in EVF, tillable LCD, faster AF and better low light performance for $3,300.  Same size body as predecessor.  Will this give the Q strong competition?  It will be available in November.  I still love the Q so I am not a candidate but with the slow delivery of Qs and the $1K lower price with a 35mm lens I suspect it will impact Q sales.

• Like 2

Loved my RX1, but my Leica Q even more. :)  Nothing here that makes me want to go back. The 42mp sensor will produce 60-100 mb images (my guess), which would fill up my iMac within a few months. Also, the 1/4000 max shutter speed sounds like a deal breaker for those who shoot wide open in daylight (including me). 

Good choice though for those who won't or cant by the Q.

• Like 1

I think it will compare very well. I owned the RX1 a few years back and a very fine camera it was. I wanted faster AF, tilt screen and wifi. Those things seems in place now. A grip is needed, but it is also needed for on my Q.

Would have had a though choice it it was available when I bought the Q. But the Leica have what I need, and I really like everything about it.

I do believe Sony has implemented shutter limits in auto iso mode (Sony RX100IV). That was what made me sell the RX1, it adjusted shutter speed down to 1/60 before raising iso, way too low in many circumstances.

Very though competition this will be! Leica this time with the Q now have good AF, good VF, good lens, wifi, good low light iso performance, nice layout, a 24mp sensor that  is sufficient enough to crop to a 50 mm field of view. No reason for me to change.

The design of the RX1 never appealed to me, but image quality was very good and I imagine it will be this time as well.

Also love my RX1, but the manual focus, speed of AF, the excellent EVF, and the  haptic of the Q is just so nice and further advanced.  

Also, Sony states that the new RX has 30% faster AF... 30% of slow is what?  Almost mediocre?  Also, the black-out on my RX1 is horrible like my M.  The Q is fantastic when it comes to almost no black-out and speed of AF.

So, it is probably going to be a great camera on paper and I'd love to swap my RX1 for it, but it won't be much competition to the Q if you appreciate what the Q does and is.  The Q stands on its own as a very complete piece of work.

• Like 1

Users comments will be the key to how many upgrade or trade. Rick's comments about lack of blackout for the Q is for many the key factor to EVF only cameras althoiugh I have tried my 28 OVF on the Q and evemgtually regarded it as not needed.  Also, we must see what Leica comes out with regarding a Small Leica.  Then again keep in mind we are all preaching to the choir.

I noticed it does have both phase detect and CD AF so it may be better than the 30% figure might indicate as it should be on par with the A7RII.  However, I think the Q's AF is faster.

One other advantage is having both a wide angle adapter and a tele adapter available so one is not locked to the 35mm field of view.  That said, a lot of users prefer the 35mm field of view so that is a big positive and the price difference will sway many users.  I would love to have the 42mp sensor on the Q to allow more cropping while maintaining decent resolution.

I'm quite relieved, my Q is due to arrive in the next few days and I had assured myself an RX1 successor was very unlikely so when I saw the announcement my heart sank a little but having looked at the release data I feel happy with my choice.

42MP is nice in theory but I very rarely need to crop so much that it would be useful and it just means more storage and time spent processing images.

The EVF is taken from the RX100 and I hated having to pop it up and stow it each time, I just used the LCD instead.

The lack of IBIS is puzzling, it slightly suggests they just took the original RX1, threw in the A7RII sensor, RX100 EVF and a new processor, slapped another $1k on the price and called it a day.

I loved my RX1 because it was small and the images were awesome but the actual experience shooting with it wasn't great, its size meant it was fiddly and as always with Sony it felt like using a computer not a camera. I tried the A7RII recently and was impressed with the tech but it left me cold and I feel the RX1Rii will do the same.

On the upside, we should see used RX1 prices drop so I may pick one up again at some point for the times when I really need the size reduction over the Q. Although it's more likely I will just have the Q around my neck 24/7.

Edited by ricky1981
  • Like 2

The biggest complaint I had with the Q was it's lack of a tilting screen. I am rather tall and I always had to bend down quite a bit to shoot level with my subjects. This feature alone is a game-changer for me. And with this new Sony I could crop the images to 50mm and still retain 18MP... that is too good to be true.

I noticed it does have both phase detect and CD AF so it may be better than the 30% figure might indicate as it should be on par with the A7RII.  However, I think the Q's AF is faster.

One other advantage is having both a wide angle adapter and a tele adapter available so one is not locked to the 35mm field of view.  That said, a lot of users prefer the 35mm field of view so that is a big positive and the price difference will sway many users.  I would love to have the 42mp sensor on the Q to allow more cropping while maintaining decent resolution.

yes i agree 100%, if  Q would be 42mp also 28mm would be perfect allowing a 30+ mp 35mm crop 

Just looked at some images Sony put out taken with this camera. Is it me, or are they as dull as I perceive them to be? Seen much better out of the Q. More pixels doesn't mean better picture, I guess. Maybe it's the photographer. Time will tell.

kind of like my tv, the last great plasma made by Panasonic, it may be a bad comparisson but for me I still prefer the picture on my zt60 to any new Sony tv that's made even the 4K stuff. It's not a resolution thing it's just the way it feels and looks from the couch. If I walk up to the tv the picture looks horrid, the pixels look like a mess but from the couch at the proper distance it's magical. I noticed that the q has the same effect, my rx1r shots were sharper but less magical making it (q) relatively timeless in comparison

Edited by adam80

I was looking at the Q and the Sony A7RII last weekend and many design feature (especially the user interface) are much better with the Leica. Now the new RX1RII is announced and I see it has now an EVF which is integrated (how to get that rubber ring disappear?) I am quite content with 24 MPx and anything more is more an annoyance with my computer than allowing better pictures. One exception is serious cropping as with the 50mm mode reduces the Q to 7.5MPx which is completely ridiculous.

The dynamic range of both Sony cameras will be superior to the Q but I do not know about color rendering!

Edited by 40mm f/2
  • Like 1

I was reading about the concept that the RX2 will have a curved sensor with a small 35mm 1.7 lens. The idea to shape the sensor to the requirement of the lens (just like our eye evolved) would be a real breakthrough and also allowing a small camera/lens having optimal performance across the entire field eliminating spherical aberrations, vignetting. Not now and will it ever come? I would like a wide angle camera with an optical performance similar to what the best short or medium tele lenses can achieve now on a flat sensor!

Edited by 40mm f/2