Any Thoughts on How the New Sony RX1R II with 42mp Will Compare?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I first got my RX-1, I set a few items in the menu and then forgot about it and started photographing. Auso ISo has always been set to 3200 max back then and that was it. Guess with the RX1R2 I would go to 6400 auto ISO like I do on my Q.  It would be nice to just go out with one camera and have fun instead of carrying more than one camera and one lens. Then again, using a 28mm Q and a 35mm RX1R2 would not be a bad street combo. Maybe I will just try that with what I have since both are 24MP and see what I can get.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned battery life which was terrible in the original RX1 which I could get at most 200 shots from. Now they are quoting reduced CIPA standard battery life from 270 to 220!

This, better EVF and the IBIS makes Leica Q a keeper for me even though I still think that Sony sensor and (35mm!) lens are better.

Edit,  deleted double post. Our DSL is iffy right now and reloading the page.....

Very strange. Had a double post on my computer. Logged in on my Ipad via LTE and edited the second post and now the first one is gone. 

Here's the content:

The batteries are small. I keep a battery for the RX1R (also fits our action cams and R100 variants) and a spare SD card in the zippered change compartment of my All-Ett wallet. Very handy compared to the spare M battery in my cargo pocket. ;)

Edited by Mr. Thompson

I'm quite surprised that many here are quick to dismiss this camera. The Q still beats the Sony in areas like usability, AF speed, touch focus, IBIS and perhaps resale value. But this new RX1R is much smaller, has a tilting LCD, and features a new 42MP BSI sensor with better noise and DR characteristics.

Then there is the difference of focal length. There is no clear-cut winner but I'd say both cameras have their strengths and are valid options.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many on this forum's largest complaint about the Q was the choice of 28mm versus 35mm for the lens.  Therefore, I would expect this camera will impact Q sales.  What I hope is that this camera spurs Leica to more rapidly bring out some firmware updates to address the issues in the thread on requested firmware changes so that the Q will be a better camera and maintain an additional edge in usability over the Sony.  The Zeiss lens is a very good optic with better edge-to-edge performance than the Q's without software correction; however that is probably easier to achieve at 35mm than at 28mm.

I would be very surprised if this camera didn't impact Q sales even though I think the Q is a better camera.  It will certainly produce competitive images and its performance will probably be very close to the Q's and it is $900 less costly.  Logic says that matters in the market.  I guess we will see...

• Like 1

The biggest complaint I had with the Q was it's lack of a tilting screen. I am rather tall and I always had to bend down quite a bit to shoot level with my subjects. This feature alone is a game-changer for me. And with this new Sony I could crop the images to 50mm and still retain 18MP... that is too good to be true.

The tilting screen isn't that useful in real scenario. The screen doesn't give you a good view as compared to an EVF. Furthermore, the screen can't be "locked" in place and it will loosen.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned battery life which was terrible in the original RX1 which I could get at most 200 shots from. Now they are quoting reduced CIPA standard battery life from 270 to 220!

This, better EVF and the IBIS makes Leica Q a keeper for me even though I still think that Sony sensor and (35mm!) lens are better.

Yes. The battery life is extremely terrible! Bring spare batteries out is fine but imagine the frustration of charging them.

the only thing I prefer about ot the Sony is the tilting screen as I find the Q's to be next to useless in bright light unless held right in front of you. I have the the A7rII which has the same sensor and while of course you have more pixels I find they need a lot more sharpening to get close the Q's files. I also prefer a 28mm lens and the fantastic controls of the Q. So no Sony for me in this instance

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

The tilting screen isn't that useful in real scenario. The screen doesn't give you a good view as compared to an EVF. Furthermore, the screen can't be "locked" in place and it will loosen.

Well none of my tilting screens have ever loosened!! and a tilting screen can be very useful at times, maybe not  for you but it would for me. Prefer the Q in all other respects

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

I'd worry over the longterm with that EVF popping up and down every time you wanted to use it; the rubber cup (earlier posting) is of course optional but apparently is fiddly to fit/lock. Sony's sample pics I thought looked rather so-so……. detail , dense colours but somehow uninvolving. Agree with Rapierwitman post 33.

Do we have any info about the size and eye relief of the EVF built into Q? The one in RX1R II is only 0.39" and eye relief is 19mm. No VF and pretty average AF was main reason I returned RX1 when I bought it, the add-on EVF from them seemed always loose in the hot shoe. 

The Q will probably also win when it comes to AF speed and definitely handling, I haven't seen any changes done to RX1R II in terms of user interface, it's standard PASM with aperture ring on the lens.

I guess it will come down to UK pricing which when it comes to Sony is always a strange one to me. Q costs £2900, RX1R II is (only euro price) 3500 EUR.

I found the RX1R too slow for my kind of street photography, the AF was too slow and the focus reset to infinity every time you powered it on - making zone focussing a pain.

They have made the AF 30% faster, which doesn't sound impressive and I assume MF is still the same.

So for my use, usability sucked with the RX1R, and I see nothing to indicate it will be much better (apart from the tilt screen :) )

Loved my RX1, but my Leica Q even more. :)  Nothing here that makes me want to go back. The 42mp sensor will produce 60-100 mb images (my guess), which would fill up my iMac within a few months. Also, the 1/4000 max shutter speed sounds like a deal breaker for those who shoot wide open in daylight (including me). 

Good choice though for those who won't or cant by the Q.

Guess the RX1 II can only manage 1/2000 if shooting at the full wide f/2 aperture. That kind of sucks in broad daylight meaning that you'd need a ND filter for that kind of situations.