barjohn

Any Thoughts on How the New Sony RX1R II with 42mp Will Compare?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I have the A7rII which has the same sensor as the new RX1 and the Leica Q and especially after the Q's new firmware update I would hardly say that the Sony's "has the better sensor by quite a margin" I find the Q with the 28mm lens has more inherent 'sharpness' and 'bite' than say the A7rII with the FE28 f2. Personally I really don't need a compact camera with the a 42mp sensor though I am sure the new sony will be a fantastic image making machine a right for some. If I could only have one camera and one  lens without a doubt it would be the Q

Well I have the A7rII which has the same sensor as the new RX1 and the Leica Q and especially after the Q's new firmware update I would hardly say that the Sony's "has the better sensor by quite a margin" I find the Q with the 28mm lens has more inherent 'sharpness' and 'bite' than say the A7rII with the FE28 f2. Personally I really don't need a compact camera with the a 42mp sensor though I am sure the new sony will be a fantastic image making machine a right for some. If I could only have one camera and one  lens without a doubt it would be the Q

I wouldn't completely disagree with your post, but the FE 28 isn't exactly known for being sharp.  I feel Sony is head and shoulders above every other manufacturer when it comes to sensor technology. However, I'm not sure if they have the best processing to maximize the captured image .For example, the Nikon D810 uses the same sensor as the A7R, but somehow it beats the Sony in every technical category, while also having slightly better colors OOC. People always think "lens and sensor" when it comes to IQ, and they forget the image processor (DSP) plays just as big as a role. I feel the Leica MAESTRO is slightly better at processing images than the Sony BIONZ. It's all in the tuning, imho.

Edited by Mr.Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I quite like that author...... lol

Nicely written!  Sounds like the short form is - Sony spec advantage is real, but in practical applications, Q is setup better to take photos.

Ultimately I found I could get AF pictures indoors with the Q which would result in the RX2 just hunting, and that really sealed the deal

I quite like that author...... lol

Nice summary. I'm still deciding on whether to keep the Q or try the RX1RII.

I see you give the Q a big plus for the touch screen - I have had the Q for two months and still haven't used the touch screen. Probably would've used it more if it the Q had a tilt display. I have no need for it now with the fixed display.

Nice summary. I'm still deciding on whether to keep the Q or try the RX1RII.

I see you give the Q a big plus for the touch screen - I have had the Q for two months and still haven't used the touch screen. Probably would've used it more if it the Q had a tilt display. I have no need for it now with the fixed display.

According to Sony, new shipments of the RX1RII are delayed until the end of February at the earliest. Sony does not explain why production has been halted and shipments delayed.

According to Sony, new shipments of the RX1RII are delayed until the end of February at the earliest. Sony does not explain why production has been halted and shipments delayed.

I should imagine this is due to the reported light leaks when the EVF is in use which they have admitted and will be fixing on affected units

I should imagine this is due to the reported light leaks when the EVF is in use which they have admitted and will be fixing on affected units

I have since heard that the delay is due to focusing issues, in a number of units, when shooting in continuous mode.  I believe that the light leak was only with certain range of serial numbers.

Well here's a thing because I'm after either the Sony or the Q. I like a lot about the Q, but I'm thinking the RX has an edge is versatility, that 40mp sensor is given you a good portrait option if you crop.

I'm a little put off the Q because even Leica's images have banding. Also lots of reported incidents of freezing. The Sony it would appear has problems of it's own (I'm suspecting the variable AA filter) but at least they are sorting them out. So there you are the Sony makes more sense...............so why do I want the Q more?

I think it could be more  camera v  computer, the Sony does put a lot of stuff between you and taking a picture. Less is more for me. If only either was available so I could do with them what they are designed for and take some pictures.

Well, out of curiosity I just read the dpreview review conclusions on Rx1 RII. And the points I was anticipating are there:

- poor menu system

- to ensure sharp photos zen-master like shooting technique or tripod is needed

- buttons are mushy

- sometimes sluggish performance, like when reviewing photos

- poor battery life

- for proper ergonomics needs thumb grip, which is expensive and blocks controls

- "Today, there’s the Leica Q, which - yes -  is more expensive and comes with a wider lens, but arguably offers a more well-rounded experience."

So at least in my situation, buying Leica Q was the absolutely correct thing to do. 42Mp is just too much in a tiny body.

//Juha