EVF calibration issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had my Leica Q since September and was one of the first to receive the model in Australia. There seems to be an issue that hasn't been reported yet where the composition within the EVF doesn't match the image output (refer to the image attached). As you can see from the photo, the main subject is shifted even though I framed it properly on the EVF (red box). Has anyone experienced this problem? I suspect the EVF is somehow misaligned to the sensor as this wasn't the only photo I captured with the problem.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hi,

the example image you are showing is strange and appears to be made from two different frames.  Or was there a balcony above the point where you took the shot?  Is the image produced from the original jpg or RAW?  Why do the drapes abruptly stop at the top and what is the darker area with the smoke detector.  Did that exist in the frame and had you avoided it in your EVF?   What did your rear LCD show.

the EVF displays the live content being recorded by the sensor.  There is nothing to be aligned in this system. No mirrors!

I suggest you do a controlled test checking both EVF and LCD and make sure you haven't selected one of the cropped options such as 35 or 50.      If you shoot with a crop selected, the saved  JPG file capture area will not be the same as the RAW  file capture area. ( the raw file will be the full / uncropped view.)

i suspect that you are misunderstanding the crop system and the difference between the Jpg and RAW files because I'm pretty sure that RAW files are not cropped when  saved.

Edited by lucerne

Thank Lucerne for your detailed reply, here are the following responses:

- I'm a very competent photographer that fully understand RAW/JPG and cropping options.

- This was one image. There was a lower ceiling at the back end of the room. The drapes are attached to a higher ceiling.

- The red box is an approximate composition I had using the EVF to show others the difference.

- I always show in RAW and that example was unedited RAW image converted to JPG

- Never used cropped mode. Even if I did, the main subject will be always be in the middle with varying crop factors.

- Agreed a controlled test will help demonstrate to others but I have photos composed with EVF that are way off centre.

- Didn't check the LCD as my eyes were glued to EVF. Photos composed using LCD are exactly the same as the final image.

- Spoke with the camera store who will organise it to be sent back to Leica for assessment.

- This post was to make other users to be aware of the potential issue.

Edited by Willnguy
  • Like 1

Thank Lucerne for your detailed reply, here are the following responses:

- I'm a very competent photographer that fully understand RAW/JPG and cropping options.

- This was one image. There was a lower ceiling at the back end of the room. The drapes are attached to a higher ceiling.

- The red box is an approximate composition I had using the EVF to show others the difference.

- I always show in RAW and that example was unedited RAW image converted to JPG

- Never used cropped mode. Even if I did, the main subject will be always be in the middle with varying crop factors.

- Agreed a controlled test will help demonstrate to others but I have photos composed with EVF that are way off centre.

- Didn't check the LCD as my eyes were glued to EVF. Photos composed using LCD are exactly the same as the final image.

- Spoke with the camera store who will organise it to be sent back to Leica for assessment.

- This post was to make other users to be aware of the potential issue.

I agree with your detailed report.  Symptoms are unusual and it will be interesting to learn what the cause is. Please keep us informed.

I did some test in camera this morning and can say that the camera and EVF are both centered.  Whatever I center in the EVF is also centered in the playback view.  I don't see how they could not be as the image in the EVF is coming right off the lens/sensor and is replicated to the EVF. 

• Like 1