retro bag for travel

justinrphillips

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I dont know know the fight forum for this question but I will be traveling to Costa Rica in a few weeks with my Leica M Monochrom, lenses, computer (MBP 15") and ipad and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good retro bag that could house all that and not be conspicuous.  Was hoping to get some ideas from you fine people.  

Filson do some great stuff.

http://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/backpacks-rucksacks/harvey-backpack.html#328

http://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/field-bags/camera-field-bag.html#122

I use their 24 hour briefcase to carry work kit and my camera and always go for the green or khaki.

Domke is also good for low key and retro.

Just attracts less attention than tan (ie. avoid anything like Billingham) :)

Edited by Rapierwitman

This question in slightly varied form crops up often.  Any bag is conspicuous unless maybe you wear it in front and zip a thick jacket over it so it makes you look potbellied.  A plumber's bag won't fool anyone unless you're dressed like a plumber, nor will a diaper bag fool anyone unless you have a baby with you.  For some reason on Leica forums the notion is that there are thieves out there who specialize in cameras to the exclusion of all else.  The fact is, a messenger bag screams "laptop" or "ipad".  Any bag screams "there's something(s) in here too big to fit in a pocket, and valuable enough to warrant the protection of a bag".   Even without a bag, being a tourist (or even a reasonably-well-dressed local) attracts the attention of thieves.  Is he carrying cash?  A wallet?  Wearing a watch?  Carrying a smartphone?   The best insurance is...insurance.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will add my thoughts to this too, having has similar concerns.

• No bag available will disguise the fact you are carrying something valuable. So the best thing is to not waste time thinking about it and then simply go for something that doesn't attract attention. Which means old and worn. It doesn't stand out and it suggests whatever is inside is probably old and worn too... he will balance risk against reward, assuming anything valuable will be looked after.
  • if you really want retro, then a Billingham, probably, given your requirements, a Hadley Pro, although an obvious suggestion, they are exceptional value and will age nicely. Get something dull and weather it so it takes the newness from it. I made the mistake of buying khaki and taking it to one of the worlds most dangerous cities (Maceio in Brazil) and it was only a few months old then... so it stuck out like a sore thumb! Black and dirty would have been a more discreet choice.
  • Theives and muggers tend to follow a target anyway... so the moment you take your camera out to use it, the game is up anyway.
  • So, buy the bag you like and is practical and comfortable... and spend the rest of the money on the one thing you will never regret if the worst happens.... Insurance.
Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 3

I don't have this bag but will probably buy one in the next week or so: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=16034&gclid=CPff3tTwvMgCFZCIaQodD14Isw&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details

it seems reasonably nondescript and flexible enough so it doesn't look like a camera bag.  It's also very reasonably priced. You can also get the F-230 full length insert as well. 

I don't have this bag but will probably buy one in the next week or so: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=16034&gclid=CPff3tTwvMgCFZCIaQodD14Isw&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details

it seems reasonably nondescript and flexible enough so it doesn't look like a camera bag.  It's also very reasonably priced. You can also get the F-230 full length insert as well. 

I've got this one and it is excellent. Packs a lot in and the strap is great. The only thing you have to be careful of is that, other than the insert, there is no padding to speak of. Also the inserts are not quite big enough to comfortably fit a Leica M body with some of the larger / wider lenses

Why has no one suggested one of the Think Tank bags called Retrospective 5 or 7 in pinestone color or black. Saw a Pinestone example and it is very non-descriptive looking to me. 

They are superb bags, as are all Think Tank bags.

I have the 5 and the 7 and can be very noisy if anybody tries to lift the Velcro flap, which is a good thing when travelling (it can be 'silenced'). I can't fault them for normal use. But my suggestion depends on what the OP will be doing, if camping and already carrying a back pack the following suggestion is moot,  but for travelling I'd go for a sling bag. A sling bag allows the bag to be carried on the hip when you are shooting or worried about wanting to keep a hand on it in crowds, but on the back when hiking a distance or negotiating difficult terrain, you don't want a heavy hip bag swinging about on a mountain path. Sling bags are also worn with the strap across the body which is an added security bonus, but in saying that I'd not have the type pico has in post #2, even if a wallet isn't kept in the bag, the separate little pockets all suggest a wallet (or laptop) is in the pocket.

Steve

I've got this one and it is excellent. Packs a lot in and the strap is great. The only thing you have to be careful of is that, other than the insert, there is no padding to speak of. Also the inserts are not quite big enough to comfortably fit a Leica M body with some of the larger / wider lenses

Thanks for the insight. My M9M is usually mated w a 50 Summicron. I'll have to see if it fits. Might also want to try the full length insert as well. 

Thanks for the insight. My M9M is usually mated w a 50 Summicron. I'll have to see if it fits. Might also want to try the full length insert as well. 

The Domke inserts are 4" wide, but I did find this quite cheap and have ordered one. The middle divider comes out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L0X0P4C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1444598977.642236.jpg

Is this sling bag too uncivilized? I use it often. Less than $40 USD.

Hey Pico, where did you get this bag? It looks good for going light. At $40, my wife wouldn't even blink.

Right now I'm using a Domkie F5XA in old faded army green (often on a belt) when I don't want to be observed - but like it was discussed above any bag on a man screams camera or computer in the States. Europe is a different matter where men carry nice leather bags about all of the time. An old Domkie in France or Italy looks about as ratty as jeans and flannels. In South America they're apt to think it is a gun bag.

I travel heavy with a black Billingham Hadley Pro as it fits 2 bodies, 2 spare lenses and a 13 inch Macbook pro. I also have a Filson Camera bag for when I bring out my S2. It is a wonderful $150 bag. Too bad it cost $320.

Filson do some great stuff.

http://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/backpacks-rucksacks/harvey-backpack.html#328

http://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/field-bags/camera-field-bag.html#122

I use their 24 hour briefcase to carry work kit and my camera and always go for the green or khaki.

Domke is also good for low key and retro.

Just attracts less attention than tan (ie. avoid anything like Billingham) :)

I have the Filson Harvey Backpack. While well made and very pretty, it is not functional as a photo bag. It has a simple insert that does not accommodate a lot of equipment, and the flap is too small to protect the contents from rain.

For actual camera bags, I've settled on the Domke F-2 and F-6.  They're inobtrusive, protect the gear (with inserts), and just work

For my edc bag, though, I adopted a $120  Maxpediton Mongo VersaPak   It carries a 1911 .45acp with a couple of magazines, (although it usually has my Walther PPK/s, a spare magazine, and handcuffs) a tactical knife, sheath and paracord, a couple of LED flashlights, a camera body and a couple of lenses, cell phone, wallet(s), a small umbrella, an iPad, and just about anything else you want to carry.  it's water-resistant, has a water bottle carrier, and a stow-able waist belt to keep it from sliding all over the place.  it's a great travel bag (probably without the 1911 .45acp) and it goes most everywhere with me.  Mine's been on several trips now and it's just a great travel bag to work out of with photo gear.  At the time I bought mine, Maxpedition didn't make a photo insert, but it was a fortunate coincidence that the insert from my TimBuk2 messenger bag happened to fit it like it was made for it.  I think Maxpedition is making a camera insert for their bag now though.  You can find clones of this bag for around $40 on eBay, Amazon and other sellers. 

0439KF_detail.jpg

Edited by hepcat

I will add my thoughts to this too, having has similar concerns.

• No bag available will disguise the fact you are carrying something valuable. So the best thing is to not waste time thinking about it and then simply go for something that doesn't attract attention. Which means old and worn. It doesn't stand out and it suggests whatever is inside is probably old and worn too... he will balance risk against reward, assuming anything valuable will be looked after.
  • if you really want retro, then a Billingham, probably, given your requirements, a Hadley Pro, although an obvious suggestion, they are exceptional value and will age nicely. Get something dull and weather it so it takes the newness from it. I made the mistake of buying khaki and taking it to one of the worlds most dangerous cities (Maceio in Brazil) and it was only a few months old then... so it stuck out like a sore thumb! Black and dirty would have been a more discreet choice.
  • Theives and muggers tend to follow a target anyway... so the moment you take your camera out to use it, the game is up anyway.
  • So, buy the bag you like and is practical and comfortable... and spend the rest of the money on the one thing you will never regret if the worst happens.... Insurance.

Thieves tend to follow a target. I was once robbed of everything in Cannes France, except my short and a T-shirt. All my luggage and camera equippement. Police said I probably was followed from the station. I just use my Billingham bag now, very worn and 7 years old , used every day. I have to replace it shortly because it's not waterproof anymore. The next one will be conspicues for a while...

• Like 1

It carries a 1911 .45acp with a couple of magazines, (although it usually has my Walther PPK/s, a spare magazine, and handcuffs) a tactical knife, sheath and paracord, a couple of LED flashlights, a camera body and a couple of lenses, cell phone, wallet(s), a small umbrella, an iPad, and just about anything else you want to carry.  

Don't those .45 magazine edges scratch your camera!  :o

Dare I ask what you're shooting?  :)

Don't those .45 magazine edges scratch your camera!  :o

Dare I ask what you're shooting?  :)

No, there are actually two separate zippered compartments and either can be used to hold the special holster and magazine holder that are isolated from everything else in the bag.  I use the larger, rear, nicely padded one for my iPad.  If you're asking what kind of 1911 it is, it's a custom, concealed-carry 5" Gov't model build I did on an Essex frame about twenty years ago.  It doesn't look like much, but it performs nicely.  

Edited by hepcat