Should I cancel my order and wait and see or dive right in?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been waiting for the right FF fixed prime camera and Leica ownership for 10 years and I am so excited that I can hardly contain myself.  It appears that I am within a few weeks or less of crafting images with what appears to me to be a masterpiece.

However, in the last week I have become a little uncomfortable by some of the complaints on this forum of the dust on sensors, the Clicking screen business on another thread, and digilloyd's inability to even use the Q due to reported Q malfunctions on his trip to the mountain.

Leica Miami seems really trustworthy and they are unfamiliar with ANY problems with the Q.

Is the sample size of the complaints really small and therefore amplified on the internet or should I be concerned and maybe cancel my order and wait to see how it all pans out?

$4250 US is not a lot of money for me unless I make a mistake and waste it on a glitchy product.

I placed an order with herringtoncatalog after reading about them on this forum.  They seem like nice people and had a VERY short waiting list of only 8 people 2 weeks ago.  If I have a problem and have to "send it to my dealer", as can sometimes be needed, does that mean I send it to herringtoncatalog or would I send it to an official leica dealer like Leica Miami or is their a Leica USA I would send problems to?

What are the thoughts of actual Q owners as opposed to those that don't actually own the Q.

On some of the threads on this forum members have stated things like if you are an early adopter you should expect problems.

Should I cancel my order and wait and see..... or.........nothing to worry about....Dive right in and have fun!

I sincerely thank you for your counsel.

Carlton

• Like 1

Don't relent in the face of that ridiculous incident by digiloyd.  He's notorious for his attitude towards Leica and it clouds his ability to think straight.  Anyone who professes to be an expert and then fails to be able to understand and use kit like this should keep quiet and avoid embarrassing themselves.    He played the fool by not familiarising himself with the basic functions of the Q before setting off on his first photo xpedition.  How can anyone take him seriously.  His failing was to mess with the settings before setting off, without knowing how to set for auto focus.  Then he claimed the camera was faulty.  Another failing was treating the Q as if it was some other favourite camera and then finding that it has unique features and operation.  In other words, for any photographer with some knowledge of basic principles, the Q is intuitive and simple to operate from the word go.    Ignore him.

As far as the clicking screen cover is concerned, yes, I can make mine click.  However, it's on the left hand side and there no reason to be putting pressure there.  Another over-rated problem that seems to concern those who are new to Leica ownership.  Really, it's no big deal (unless you've just spent your very last £2900 without telling your other half and now feel guilty and are looking for an excuse to back out of the purchase!).   

Dust on on the sensor?  Yes, it has been shown to happen but as yet, no one has established whether the problem is the result of factory carelessness or ingress during use.  Whichever, Leica will fix it.  

Dont spoil your excitement.  Take  the Q as soon as it's available to you.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for your pep talk.

I was thinking the same things but just wanted someone to confirm for me.

Digilloyd seemed a bit silly and I was puzzled by the significance of the "clicking" noises.  I mean really, so long as it doesn't mean something significant and as long as it captures beautiful images the Q can make loud "flatulence" sounds for all I care.

As for the dust... I sensed that Leica will address that if it arises.

I don't expect perfection, particularly in the digital age.

I just wanted reassurance that I was not making a terrible mistake and your report makes me feel comfortable that the Q will be a nice tool to use.

Have a wonderful day.

Carlton

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

David, how does the Q differ to the Sony A7II? Be interested to hear your thoughts as you own both.

Well really  the only similarities are that they both have FF 24mp sensors and are relatively small apart from that they are totally different. The only thing I miss about the A7II on the Q is the tilting screen as the Q's screen in bright light unless held directly in front of you is pretty useless. I longer have the A7II but have the A7rII and A7s both excellent cameras in their own ways and of course more versatile but the Q as fixed lens 28mm FF camera IMO is unbeatable. I will be going away tomorrow for a road trip around northern Europe with my wife and will take in  Billingham Hadley pro bag the Q, A7rII with FE55 and the CV15 mk III and FE90 macro. I expect the Q will get about 80% of the time

Thanks for that David. I've got a Fuji X100 and Ricoh GR1 film so am looking to sell the Fuji (far too slow) to purchase the Q.

Would like a 55mm as well but think that the Q will do 90% of what I need it to. So will do that first and then look to another camera if the need is there. 

Guest Her Berger

$4250 US is not a lot of money for me unless I make a mistake and waste it on a glitchy product.

So what? Wait for the Q and buy inbetween a Sony or Fuji or both.

After reading this post I wanted to share my thoughts as well.  I admit I have GAS,  gear acquisition syndrome, and have been through many systems, sensor types, and most likely will continue to do so.

I have two needs, a camera/system that allows me to make a living and this ended up being Nikon for the last 20 years.

The other is my personal enjoyment, travel, children, nature, etc.  In this area I have experimented with basically every new introduction.  Each camera/systems,  Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, all left me wanting for more.  Don't get me wrong they all had excellent technical capabilities, but just didn't have fun using them.

All of a sudden  the Q was announced and I knew this was something worth looking at.  I can say after two months with the camera I am truly having fun once again.  Sure there are issues/concerns, fixed lens, battery life, QC, dust, etc.  Have not had any issues with any of these.  If I do I know they will be handled.

My advice go out and have fun, enjoy what the camera can do, and from the image thread shown here there is much going for it.  

Thanks ever so much for that, I've not so much as yet had a GAS problem and am hoping that the Q resolves any potential for their being one.

I looked at the Nikon D750 but know that if I go down that route I'll have a camera in the house gathering dust. I just can't slip it into my workbag when heading down to London. 

I've an 18-month old so when we go places I need something small but of outstanding quality and the Q fulfils that role.

If I then need a different M or SL I can go that way in the future. 

I just love the Leica colour output and feel the warmth it offers surpasses other brands. Fuji is another one where I like the colour, I love Velvia and the X100 gave me that opportunity.