"Check Battery Age"

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I just got a "Check Battery Age" in red on my nearly 2 year old M. While I do use the cameras (professionally) a lot, it does seem to be a bit early for a battery to get close to end of life! By the way, with two bodies I use four batteries, which I have numbered so I can rotate my usage. Has anyone else got this message?

In contrast, the 6 batteries for my  Canon 5D Mark IIs' which I have used since 2009, are still going strong. Are the, way more expensive, Leica batteries build to a lesser standard or was there a bad batch?

John 

• Like 1

Hi all, I just got a "Check Battery Age" in red on my nearly 2 year old M. While I do use the cameras (professionally) a lot, it does seem to be a bit early for a battery to get close to end of life! By the way, with two bodies I use four batteries, which I have numbered so I can rotate my usage. Has anyone else got this message?

In contrast, the 6 batteries for my  Canon 5D Mark IIs' which I have used since 2009, are still going strong. Are the, way more expensive, Leica batteries build to a lesser standard or was there a bad batch?

John 

I can't comment on the battery quality, but it does occur to me that the level at which you get a battery warning might just be (Leica typical :) ) conservative vs. some other brands.  I think I would just keep using it and see what happens, although this may not be an option in professional use.

I've also just had the same error.  I've attached a screenshot

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've also just had the same error.  I've attached a screenshot

I wonder was there a bad batch? I also use a Godox Ving flashgun (a great flash for the money) and they had a bad batch of batteries. With Godox there is no recall, just dump the 'bad' battery and buy a new one. I hope Leica is not in the same boat!

• 2 weeks later...

The manual (and the leaflet accompanying the spare battery purchased recently) recommends deep cycling every 25 normal cycles, where normal means recharging whenever you wish. 

What concerns me is the age of the battery and the state of charge when the camera is purchased, or when a spare battery is purchased. Leica sales for some dealers might be slow, so by the time you purchase the battery it could already be quite old, and the residual charge might be dangerously low. As mentioned, I've just bought a spare and it took an age to charge as compared with the battery that came with the camera. I think it's age and more importantly the residual charge when you acquire the device. Too low and the battery will be hard to recover.

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 1

Indeed, so where should one purchase to ensure the sell by date is ok? I've had a look but can't see an obvious date of manufacture.

Leica isn't the biggest seller at some stores on the high street. Anyway, no point in fretting, the battery has 12 months warranty. Plenty of time to determine whether the spare I purchased is ok.

I'm still using the original battery with first time charge out of the box (that accompanied the camera) and still has 25% after 3 days of RF shooting (no live view for me).