Series on the tradition of "Almabtrieb"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A small series I did on the Austrian tradition of "Almabtrieb".  

This is just a selection of pictures from the full series here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/derphilipppp/albums/72157659340180141

Leica M6 - 35mm Summicron IV - Kodak Portra 160

In case you don't know what an "Almabtrieb" is:

The "Almabtrieb", which translates from German as: "drive from the mountain pasture", is an annual event in the alpine regions in Europe, referring to a cow train in autumn. During summer, all over the alpine regions cow herds feed on alpine pastures ("Almen" or "Alpen") high up in the mountains (a practice known as transhumance). In numbers, these amount to about 500,000 cows in Austria, 380,000 in Switzerland and 50,000 in Germany. While there is often some movement of cattle between the Almen during the summer, there is usually one concerted cow train in autumn to bring the cows to their stables down in the valley. This typically takes place in late September or early October. If there were no accidents on the Alm during the summer, in many areas the cows are decorated elaborately, and the cow train is celebrated with music and dance events in the towns and villages. Upon arrival in the valley, joint herds from multiple farmers are sorted in the Viehscheid, and each cow is returned to its owner.

Almabtrieb by philipp wortmann, auf Flickr

Thank you Robert!

Those are actually calves in image 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By S-T-P
      Leica MP, 35 mm Summicron ASPH, Kodak Pro-image 100. Lab developed, home scanned on a Noristsu LS-600.
    • By Sumatra
      Hallo Leica-Freunde,
      ich habe ein Problem mit meiner M6 TTL (0,58): die (bei Kleinanzeigen) erstandene Sucherlupe lässt sich leider nur ca. 1/8 bis 1/4 Gewindegang auf den Sucher aufschrauben.
      Muss man bei der Montage irgendwas beachten oder muss man irgendwas am Sucher einstellen oder ändern, damit die Lupe passt?
      Danke und Gruß,
      Sumatra
    • By Francesco1993
      Hey guys, I’ve just purchased this lens for a good price. To make the long story short, it has some bubbles on the back element. I don’t have now the possibility to shoot on a digital camera but I will wait the results of my films soon. 
      do you know what those bubbles are?
      I think that I will send this lens to a repair center ASAP.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Peter K
      Hi,
      I bought a 50 mm Summicron secondhand a couple of years ago. Judging from the serial number, I think it was produced around 2001 or so.
      Anyway, I have noticed dark marks on some the aperture blades. Judging from the images below, can anyone tell if this is oil or something else? And whether or not it might affect image quality (and thus should be sent for repair)?
      I'm not worried about the resell value as I intend to keep it. But I would like it to be in good condition as it is my most used lens on the Leica.
      Thanks in advance.

• By Roger Vorbeck
      Got my first ever Leica M body last year. It's a M2. It came bundled with a Summicron 50mm F2 Collapsible. I'm really enjoying this combo, but I'm a 35mm shooter.
      I've found a Summaron 35mm 3.5 for sale in my country, for a decent price. It's serial number is the following: 1176436.
      However, I know that users have trouble defining their lens models, because they were produced in a large numbers.
      I've checked this one's number on a lot of different sources and foruns, but I failed on identifying it.
      The weird part is that checking through this website: https://reddotcamera.net/leica/serial-number-tool/ and in this page: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summaron_f%3D_3.5_cm_1:3.5
      The information I have is that this lens is identified as a Summicron 50mm f/2, build in the year 1954 and a Summicron 5 cm 1:2 (M), respectively.
      Why is that? Has anyone here ever seen one of these? I wanted this to be the M2 version (to activate the 35mm framelines) but I have no clue what this all means.
      Any guesses are welcome.
      Thanks!