New noise appearing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think this has something to do with the OIS, but I've not heard anything quite like this since I got my Q  few weeks ago....

I just went to turn on the camera and heard a rattling type sound, it went away when the camera is on, if I turn it off I can hear a distinct rattling. It's not exhibited this previously so I'm a little nervous. I also noticed it being a bit noisier in a different way when on, if I press the shutter down, I get a click type sound and if I hold it halfway, there's a motor whirring noise, faintly. 

I have have all my acoustical sounds off, this happens regardless of auto focus selected or manual. This suddenly came up. I've never engaged the OIS either, whether that matters. it seems to be working regardless, but I thought I'd charge the battery some before investigating further, it was on 2 bars, so plenty of charge left, but I read somewhere to charge fully. 

Edited by dangorange

Some rattling when powered off is normal for any camera or lens with stabilisation.

Unless it's affecting the images or usability (AF speed, etc) or is making abnormal grinding noises then I'd just ignore it. If you notice it getting noisier then contact your dealer or Leica (if you are already worried then do that now :) )

Yeah something is up, for instance my shutter makes a noise and I have the sound off. If I turn it on, makes no difference. None of this was happening last night and it's been sitting safely in a box until now. I think the software is buggy, I'll call Leica tomorrow.

I'm seeing other stuff like it not remembering previous settings etc. Settings it's supposed to remember.

I guess the whirring noise I thought was to do with holding the shutter down halfway is actually constant. If I put my ear to the LCD I hear a distinct noise and it modulates as I moce the camera around, OIS is off. Maybe this is normal, but it's new for me!

Yeah something is up, for instance my shutter makes a noise and I have the sound off. If I turn it on, makes no difference. None of this was happening last night and it's been sitting safely in a box until now. I think the software is buggy, I'll call Leica tomorrow.

I'm seeing other stuff like it not remembering previous settings etc. Settings it's supposed to remember.

I also have seen this where settings just reset themselves.  Seems there are default values that take affect in certain modes of operation/sequence.  A real pain to have to go and reset each time..

I guess the whirring noise I thought was to do with holding the shutter down halfway is actually constant. If I put my ear to the LCD I hear a distinct noise and it modulates as I moce the camera around, OIS is off. Maybe this is normal, but it's new for me!

Same here, I hear a noise and a "clunk" now and again when switched on, OIS is off.

Cant hear it on the lens or body only when I put my ear to the LCD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OIS in a lens will 'rattle' when it's off. It shouldn't rattle if the camera is on even if you turn OIS off. Other whirring sounds will be AE/AF components.

Stop worrying unless you are aware of an actual fault with it.

Edited by earleygallery

Yes, not too worried, although anytime I start hearing 'new' noises from any mechanical or electrical device, it makes me take notice. Sometimes that can indicate trouble ahead. 

The settings are definitely a bit buggy, but that's a firmware issue, not too concerned with that stuff at the moment. 

Well if I hold mine up to my ear I can hear a sort of noise inside and It's probably always been like that and I don't normally hold a camera my ear. Anyway only time anything is really audible is if I have continuous focus on and focus moves in and out which is normal behaviour. Rattling sound when off and when turned on and off is also normal. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Anyway I think it maybe something to do with the OIS mechanism as if you turn it on it makes the same sort of noise but quite a bit louder. My wife has a Panasonic LX4 (they developed the OIS system for the Q) and when I turn OIS off on it I can still hear a slight noise a bit like on the Q and when it is on it is the same but a bit louder. Probabaly just something to do with the system stabilising when it is off

Edited by viramati

Yes, not too worried, although anytime I start hearing 'new' noises from any mechanical or electrical device, it makes me take notice. Sometimes that can indicate trouble ahead. 

The settings are definitely a bit buggy, but that's a firmware issue, not too concerned with that stuff at the moment. 

I figured out that when the OIS is on the motor is continually working to steady your shot and you can hear the motor....very faintly.   I turn off OIS and have no issue/sound.....I shoot at 1/250 or 1/500 so I don't need it anyway.  The sound  is SOOO quiet you cant hear it unless your eye is on the viewfinder.   One foot away and you hear nothing.   NO WAY will the discreteness of this camera be jeopardized.

• 5 months later...

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same annoying thing as the original poster. Any news since this topic was first posted?? No further complications happened with this during the last months?? Thank you for your help

Joopl.

welcome to this forum.

Every Electromechanical device has a noise signature. The Q isn't totally silent.

The fact that none of the original reports developed into actual reported faults should indicate that the noises are part and parcel of the correct functioning of the camera. Usually,  unexpected noises are reported by new users and that is not surprising.   Overcome your fear, live with the noise until you don't notice it any more, enjoy the camera. (Sometimes, when the noise disappears, it might indicate a problem!.  For example, if you don't hear the (very quiet) shutter sound or don't feel the click when you rotate the aperture ring),

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

I also have seen this where settings just reset themselves.  Seems there are default values that take affect in certain modes of operation/sequence.  A real pain to have to go and reset each time..

if you put the user profile on default, it'll go away. it happened to me once, but it should be addressed for the next firmware, i hear no noise on mine, it's too quiet sometimes i turn the shutter on just to hear something, my only complaint is the usb connector housing, it's a bit flimsy when a little pressure is applied it gives it a little push, but no worries it does not affect the picture quality.

if you put the user profile on default, it'll go away. it happened to me once, but it should be addressed for the next firmware, i hear no noise on mine, it's too quiet sometimes i turn the shutter on just to hear something, my only complaint is the usb connector housing, it's a bit flimsy when a little pressure is applied it gives it a little push, but no worries it does not affect the picture quality.

This does not apply to the remark of the sound issue does it?

Joopl.

welcome to this forum.

Every Electromechanical device has a noise signature. The Q isn't totally silent.

The fact that none of the original reports developed into actual reported faults should indicate that the noises are part and parcel of the correct functioning of the camera. Usually,  unexpected noises are reported by new users and that is not surprising.   Overcome your fear, live with the noise until you don't notice it any more, enjoy the camera. (Sometimes, when the noise disappears, it might indicate a problem!.  For example, if you don't hear the (very quiet) shutter sound or don't feel the click when you rotate the aperture ring),

Hahahaha, thanks for this one. It is already a comfort. But I've been shooting with an X2 before. The only thing that worried me is that I didn't notice the sounds before (also the one when you move it around when it's off but still rattles a little). But you are perfectly right: I DO enjoy the camera, and should "overcome the fear" hahahahaha

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jvansmit

I've always had an almost unnoticeable rattle but just today the rattle has increased in volume to the extent that it can be clearly heard when I'm walking...a sound like a lump of ice being shaken in a wine glass. The complete lens assembly was replaced a few weeks ago, and initially the rattle on both was much the same, i.e. nothing to worry about.

Edit: the rattle went away after a re-set

Edited by jvansmit

• 3 months later...

Well I started getting this clunking noise in my Leica Q and it frightened the hell out of me. It would clunk from very mild shaking when it was switched on and also when it was switched off. It was especially bad when it was switching on because – I suppose – as the lens mechanism manoeuvred itself into position, it made a particularly loud and grating clunking noise.

Lucky I came across this thread. I could scarcely believe that it would work, but I reset the camera to default as suggested here – and magically the clunking has gone!

I've seen all the comments about cameras not being totally silent all that because it seems to have no effect on the picture taking, this is the way it was meant to be et cetera et cetera but I have to say it doesn't make me feel very calm.

When you have a precision instrument which starts clunking for no reason at all – after several months of almost silent operation, it simply can't bode well. Setting it back to a default seems to clear it – but I imagine that it will happen again.

When there is a clunking inside any mechanism, it means that something is knocking against something else. That produces wear.

Somebody in this thread said that this matter will be addressed by the next firmware update. So when will that be? If it was Fuji, it would have been sorted ages ago and no doubt they would have been several firmware updates, each incrementally addressing little issues.

This doesn't seem to be Leica's style.

I have never had a camera of any make whether it was mechanical or electronic which made a noise like this. I don't feel at all comfortable about it. The camera is great – but clearly it can work without clunking and I'm sure that that is the way it should work.

Edited by marcg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys, i just bought used Q on eBay and it came with loud 'loose part' noise, it's pretty loud and annoying. The problem is that i can't turn it on right now, because i'm still waiting for new batteries to arrive, so i can't tell if Camera works fine, i recorded noise on iPhone, can anyone please tell me is this OK and i should stop worrying or i just need to send camera back to the seller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UT4av-mcDY

Thanks!