self-service Leicameters?

ironringer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone self-serviced their Leicameters - opened them, found and fixed obvious problems (e.g. electrical contacts, binding of meter needle, range switch affecting operation, dirt, etc.), and then re-assembled them?

I have MC and MR meters that show indications of not being dead, because if I tap them or move the range switch they sometimes respond to light (the needle moves). I have a feeling they have contact problems that could be self-serviced, if proper instructions are followed. Professional service in Nuremberg is very expensive ...

• Like 1

Yes, I've bought several "inoperative" MR & MR4 meters, and most were easy to clean and restore, except where a prior owner had butchered it. The MR4 especially can have a plastic guide pin wear where it slides on the edge of the circuit board, so the contact on the switch moves to the side of the mating contact. I've fixed these by building up the edge of the circuit board with epoxy, which fixes the problem and provides a smoother guide. Otherwise a contact enhancer-cleaner like Deoxit Gold cures most problems, except for the occasions broken plastic part.

Yes, MRs are pretty easy to fix, as TomB_tx described. Battery topic, replacement for PX625 has been covered in Forum in the past.

different story is with MC, in most of cases it is selen cell which is dead. Replacement may be cut-off from another, working light meter or any camera with light meter. Drop me PM if you need more detailed instructions how to disassembly MR.

• Like 1

I made some reworking after contact cleaning 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your good advice, and Mr. Braconi for his inspiring picture of the layed-out MR parts. I will research detailed instructions and dig into one of my meters.

I assume there must be a certain orientation to replace the geared wheel and dials, so they are in proper synch with the pin that sets the shutter speed? Like the camshaft timing on a car.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Ironmonger,

Yes there is a certain method to putting these meters together. The internal components must be properly sync'd.

These meters are relatively simple & reasonably robust. Altho if you break a part of it replacement parts can be pricey.

Make sure you clean the contacts well. A typewriter eraser works very well. Oxidized/Dirty contacts are the cause of a lot of people's meter problems. Also: Those 5 screws on the foot of the attachment shoe are not just there to look at.

The 3 larger ones anchor the shoe to the meter while the 2 smaller ones act as pivot points.

This is to allow you to adjust that shoe so you are able to attach the shoe to the meter so sliding the meter into the accessory receptacle does NOT scratch the top plate of the camera.

Remember to first dial the meter to "B" and then to lift & rotate the dial on the meter all the way to "120"  when putting the meter on the camera & when taking it off.

Please make sure: The pin on the bottom of the rotating shutter speed dial of the meter engages the cut out on the top of the shutter speed dial on the camera correctly so that: 

The pin's engagement is at a sufficient depth, regardless of where the dials are set: To sit at a proper depth within the cut out without there being too much contact between the 2 respective wheels.

All of this is actually easier to do than it might seem.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Ironringer,

If you have not yet begin the repair, take care of two more things :

-note the order of the washers, if wrong order the ASA dial would be loose

-one time, lifting the plastic battery cover some millimeters too far, I have broken it

Arnaud

• 6 years later...
On 10/1/2015 at 2:11 AM, jerzy said:

Yes, MRs are pretty easy to fix, as TomB_tx described. Battery topic, replacement for PX625 has been covered in Forum in the past.

different story is with MC, in most of cases it is selen cell which is dead. Replacement may be cut-off from another, working light meter or any camera with light meter. Drop me PM if you need more detailed instructions how to disassembly MR.

Hello, I need your help to fix my Leica meter M.

Please explain more how to replace the selenium battery, the voltage, etc

Thanks

Alejandro