Better Complement for a SUMMILUX 50mm ASPH lens: SUMMILUX 28mm or SUMMICROM 28mm?

CHAVES

"I love the 21mm for architectural shots as I say, but is not faster enough, for shooting internal spaces, when there is not possibility of using tripod, like museums, temples, galleries, for example."

As above you love 21 SEM but not FASTER enough in your architectural shots, so I suggest you should try one of 21 Summilux or 24 Summilux before buying 28 Summicron or new 28 Summilux, I think 24 Summilux will be the best choice for you in my opinion because of its sharpest lens, ultra-wide range and invisible distortion for people shots with cheaper price too.

Thank you! I have thought in it! but 21 Summilux and 24 Summilux need external viewfinder…

Edited by CHAVES

If you are not wedded to the rangefinder experience, there are several Sony cameras that offer in-body image stabilisation.  This gives you an extra stop or three, if you are not able to use a tripod. The fast Leica lenses are not really suitable for architectural photography (field curvature, CA, etc).  The slower ones are.  Yes, you do get some blur at wider apertures in the very corners, but you get more usable shots, particularly at night, than you would without the extra technology and a faster lens.

Thank you! I am not interested in Sony cameras! 

Chaves, my set comprises the 15 CV, 21 SEM, 28 Cron, 50 Lux and 90 Elmarit-M.

I always have a Leica tabletop tripod with me in my bag, and this comes in handy with any of the lenses when I need to take a low light shot with a higher ISO. You can always find a place to steady the tripod and its quite unobtrusive.

Thank you! I have a Leica mini tripod, is an excellent complement! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you are not wedded to the rangefinder experience, there are several Sony cameras that offer in-body image stabilisation.  This gives you an extra stop or three, if you are not able to use a tripod. The fast Leica lenses are not really suitable for architectural photography (field curvature, CA, etc).  The slower ones are.  Yes, you do get some blur at wider apertures in the very corners, but you get more usable shots, particularly at night, than you would without the extra technology and a faster lens.

Thank you! But I am not interested in Sony cameras! Leica is rangefinder…! 

So why don't you own a tripod, a simple device that would gain you credibility and allow you to use a deeper depth of field, and longer shutter speeds, in your architectural photography? I mean what did shallow DOF at f/1.4 ever do for architecture other than make it appear 'artistic'?

Steve

Thank you! For "technical architectural" shots, I use a 17mm TS-E lens on Canon DSLR camera… on tripod naturally!
I use Leica for every day shots and "artistic" appearance (as you say)
Edited by CHAVES

• 1 year later...

Ho all, I own 50 lux asph, 35lux FLE and a 28 Cron and I'm trying to upgrade my 28 to the new lux.

Body is M240.

Does anyone has any experience with both 35 and 28 lux? My doubt if that they have the same rendition ...

Do you think is it a good idea to upgrade?

Thanks

Hi, Did you ever get an answer to this? I have the 28 lux and the 50 lux and the 35 cron (2016 version) and I'm considering trading it in for the 35 lux FLE

I agree with the suggestion of 2.0/28 Summicron ASPH and that it complements the 1.4/50 Summilux-ASPH very nicely. My favourite two lens combo.  

I would expect the new 28 Summilux released this year would complement it better but I really love the rendering of the previous version.

I have not upgraded to the new version as I would want to test it out carefully and check that the higher contrast is to my taste myself before swapping over. 

I have both the 21 Summilux and SEM. The 21 Summilux renders very differently to the 21 SEM and has more distortion (the tradeoff of such a fast lens). The SEM is the better lens for architectural work. 

Edited by MarkP