Better Complement for a SUMMILUX 50mm ASPH lens: SUMMILUX 28mm or SUMMICROM 28mm?

CHAVES

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also use a 28mm Cron to compliment my 50mm 1.4. It's a lovely lens and personally I've had no problems with the hood. I put it on when I bought it and it's still there. I like the similar filter size as I do like to use an ND filter to shoot wide ope on bright days and 49mm would mean an extra one. I also appreciate the slightly lower weight.

For stability I have recently started using a video monopod. That's the one with the three little feet. I can often use that where tripods are not appreciated or permitted. I'd guess i get another three stops benefit.

Gordon

• Like 2

Such a disappointment the Df never really lived up to hype of harking back to the simplicity of use of the various film Nikon F/FM/FE iterations.  That may well have tempted me as they were great cameras.  

I cannot believe that there is not a demand for a digital equivalent of those older Nikon film cameras as there is for the digital M-Leicas (compared with the film M-Leicas).

• Like 3

The point of the M cameras is not the same as the DF. The purpose is not nostalgia, it is the rangefinder.

Not sure if this was for me or mmradman.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the rangefinder but it's also the simplicity of camera operation pared back to essentials.

There are no other manual FF digital cameras that so simply function around ISO, aperture, shutterspeed, and manual focus.

I don't consider a simplified digital Nikon F/FM/FE nostalgia but a different and simpler way of working.

• Like 2

Compatibility between Sony and M wide lenses is generally iffy, no first hand experience but forums are awash with such conclusions, Summicron 28mm does not perform well with Sony. On the other hand Nikon is currently offering range of fast, well performing and relatively cheap (cheaper than Sony) primes - 20, 24, 28, 35,50 &85 all f1.8. Df camera is not small compared with Sony 7 range or Leica M but it has respectable low ISO performance, it is SLR with optical finder and most controls analogue. Just recently I rediscovered some of my older images made with D700 and Zeiss Makro Planar 2/100, some other with 35mm f1.4 some at high ISO and they look fantastic and D700 has less advanced sensor than Df.

In conclusion if you stick with Leica stick with Leica. If you want alternative I would imagine that user interface and overal shooter experience with dedicated SLR system would be better than AF mirror less combined with non native MF lens.

Final note, if you ever want or need use of perspective control lens SLR system like Nikon can help you there.

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Leica M shooters! 

I am an architect and photographer. My current kit of Leica lenses are: 

Super Elmar 21mm: mostly used for architectural shots! 

Summilux 50mm ASPH: my standard lens

Macro-Elmar 90mm: My short tele

I would like to add one lens between my current: 21mm and 50mm lenses. I feel a significant distance between 21 and 50...

I am looking a better complement for my Summilux 50mm.

I love the 21mm for architectural shots as I say, but is not faster enough, for shooting internal spaces, when there is not possibility of using tripod, like museums, temples, galleries, for example. 

I like the 1,4/50 a lot! I call it: "my magic lens" because of the representation and bokeh.

The 90 mm is my last addition! I am very happy with it. I use for shooting selective frames on landscapes and cities.

I had an 35mm Summicron but I sold it, for my, 35mm was very close of the 50mm, because of this I am thinking in a 28mm lens… as a "ALL PURPOSE" complement of the 50!
The use of 21 and 90mm lens, is for special-purpose.

I would like to read your advices and recommendations!

According with my explanation: What is better option: Summilux 28mm or Summicron 28mm lens?  

Thank you!

Ricardo

Perhaps you should sell the 21mm SEM and replace it with two lenses – the 15mm Heliar v3 and the 28mm Summilux. I have this 4 lens set with an 0.95 Noctilux instead of the 50mm Summilux.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was for me or mmradman.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the rangefinder but it's also the simplicity of camera operation pared back to essentials.

There are no other manual FF digital cameras that so simply function around ISO, aperture, shutterspeed, and manual focus.

I don't consider a simplified digital Nikon F/FM/FE nostalgia but a different and simpler way of working.

Only compared to a D4 could the Df be considered pared back. I think Leica has done an amazing job minimizing the existential jump from the M3 to the M240, far beyond anything Nikon has been able (or had the nerve) to accomplish. Whatever are the strengths of the Df (and I'm sure there's many) homage to its past, superficial at best, is not one of them, especially in light of that hoky ad campaign. I have five plain prism Fs in various states of wear and abuse. They have never let me down when I still worked with them. The F was Nikon's realization of the M3 for the wave they saw coming. I'll take mine out occasionally and work the shutters and although they sound like a Toyota Corona they are a beautiful camera. Where would Nikon put, what, fourteen buttons? I think the Df became what it is because Nikon was afraid of cannibalizing sales with a "true" digital F, a la M240.

Ancient history by now,

s-a

• Like 2

Only compared to a D4 could the Df be considered pared back. I think Leica has done an amazing job minimizing the existential jump from the M3 to the M240, far beyond anything Nikon has been able (or had the nerve) to accomplish. Whatever are the strengths of the Df (and I'm sure there's many) homage to its past, superficial at best, is not one of them, especially in light of that hoky ad campaign. I have five plain prism Fs in various states of wear and abuse. They have never let me down when I still worked with them. The F was Nikon's realization of the M3 for the wave they saw coming. I'll take mine out occasionally and work the shutters and although they sound like a Toyota Corona they are a beautiful camera. Where would Nikon put, what, fourteen buttons? I think the Df became what it is because Nikon was afraid of cannibalizing sales with a "true" digital F, a la M240.

Ancient history by now,

s-a

Agreed!

...but just to clarify my earlier post, that as a camera marketed as pared back to the essentials (probably how Nikon really did think of it) I think the Df should have been aborted before birth.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

Ho all, I own 50 lux asph, 35lux FLE and a 28 Cron and I'm trying to upgrade my 28 to the new lux.

Body is M240.

Does anyone has any experience with both 35 and 28 lux? My doubt if that they have the same rendition ...

Do you think is it a good idea to upgrade?

Thanks

Edited by mandelbrot
  • Like 1

CHAVES,  the two lenses you ask about have very different characters. Making a comparison as simple as the Summilux offers one more stop than the Summicron skips over the largest differences between how these very strong lenses render. I urge you to shoot both and then decide. DO not be surprised if you want both,  :).

Relative to your comments above regarding what you like about your 21 SEM, the 28 Summicron will have better corners and an overall edgier/ darker image than the Summilux. It's look is closer to your 21 SEM than your 50 ASPH. On the other hand, the 28 Summilux is even more magical than your 50 ASPH, IMHO, as it delivers very brightly illuminated images and is plainly crisper from f/1.4 onwards (i.e., my 28 SX vs. my 50 ASPH, "produced" in Wetzlar within one week of each other).

My personal comments, FWIW: I shoot the 24 Elmarit and the 28 Summilux together because of differences in perspective, but also because chewiness of the 24 image suits my idea for certain compositions better than the delicate glow of the 28 image. Also, the 28 renders absolutely no spatial distortion that I can find, even being absurdly picky about it. 

• Like 2

Chaves, my set comprises the 15 CV, 21 SEM, 28 Cron, 50 Lux and 90 Elmarit-M.

I always have a Leica tabletop tripod with me in my bag, and this comes in handy with any of the lenses when I need to take a low light shot with a higher ISO. You can always find a place to steady the tripod and its quite unobtrusive.

• Like 1

ISO is the light control, aperture is DOF and shutter speed is motion blur or freezing.

That's actually very true in the digital era... an oversimplification maybe, but not as much as you first think.

I like that sentence... it makes me feel better about my use of 'auto iso' in manual mode.

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 3

"I love the 21mm for architectural shots as I say, but is not faster enough, for shooting internal spaces, when there is not possibility of using tripod, like museums, temples, galleries, for example."

As above you love 21 SEM but not FASTER enough in your architectural shots, so I suggest you should try one of 21 Summilux or 24 Summilux before buying 28 Summicron or new 28 Summilux, I think 24 Summilux will be the best choice for you in my opinion because of its sharpest lens, ultra-wide range and invisible distortion for people shots with cheaper price too.

Thank you! I have thought in it! but 21 Summilux and 24 Summilux need external viewfinder…

Edited by CHAVES