Better Complement for a SUMMILUX 50mm ASPH lens: SUMMILUX 28mm or SUMMICROM 28mm?

CHAVES

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Leica M shooters! 

I am an architect and photographer. My current kit of Leica lenses are: 

Super Elmar 21mm: mostly used for architectural shots! 

Summilux 50mm ASPH: my standard lens

Macro-Elmar 90mm: My short tele

I would like to add one lens between my current: 21mm and 50mm lenses. I feel a significant distance between 21 and 50...

I am looking a better complement for my Summilux 50mm.

I love the 21mm for architectural shots as I say, but is not faster enough, for shooting internal spaces, when there is not possibility of using tripod, like museums, temples, galleries, for example. 

I like the 1,4/50 a lot! I call it: "my magic lens" because of the representation and bokeh.

The 90 mm is my last addition! I am very happy with it. I use for shooting selective frames on landscapes and cities.

I had an 35mm Summicron but I sold it, for my, 35mm was very close of the 50mm, because of this I am thinking in a 28mm lens… as a "ALL PURPOSE" complement of the 50!
The use of 21 and 90mm lens, is for special-purpose.

I would like to read your advices and recommendations!

According with my explanation: What is better option: Summilux 28mm or Summicron 28mm lens?  

Thank you!

Ricardo
Edited by CHAVES

I only have the Summicron. It has the 46mm filter threads to match your 21 Super-Elmar and 50 Summilux.

I find it fine for indoor use on M9 (ISO 800, f/2.0, 1/30 is pretty dark) but YMMV.

I'm not familiar with the 28 Summilux. It has 49mm filter thread.

It does look like it has one of the vastly more convenient screw on hoods like the 21 SEM.

If money is no consideration, an extra stop is always desirable, so long as the size/weight aren't then an issue.

Whether it's needed or not, I couldn't say.

• Like 1

Have you tried to shoot an interior shot at f/1.4 or f/2? I'm not sure that would work. I have the Cron 28 myself and have followed up with many users' experience on the Lux 28. For WO, the Lux 28 has more impact than the Cron,  but the corners of both are not that sharp. Distortion-wise, they are about the same. I believe the Lux has a little more CA than the Cron, but it would not be that big of a deal.

• Like 3

I use the 28 Cron with the 50 Lux as my most frequent pair and I must say that they complement each other well.

Compact size, similar rendering, minimal distortion, use the same filters. For the 28 I have never felt the need for a f/1.4 as I can always switch to the 50 if needed.

• Like 1

I use the 28 Cron with the 50 Lux as my most frequent pair and I must say that they complement each other well.

Compact size, similar rendering, minimal distortion, use the same filters. For the 28 I have never felt the need for a f/1.4 as I can always switch to the 50 if needed.

+ 1

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As former Summicron and current Summilux 28 user (on M240)my feel is that new lens offers more than extra stop for indoor/poor light situations. When shooting outdoors in good light I usually stop down to f5.6 of f8, again I feel new lens has upper hand in image quality.

New Summilux is bigger and heavier but overall feel and mechanical finish is superior to Summicron, if Summicron was available with new style screw-in lens hood than old one would be neater and a bit more user friendly lens. There are other threads here where alternative hoods for Summicron is discussed at length, original is real cludge in handling and use, I hardly used original due to bulk and poor fitting.

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 2

Thank you very much everyone for your replies!

My Summilux 50mm is the Silver one (the heaviest one: 470g). The New Summilux 28mm is: 440g = practically the same weight… I can try with the weigh, but is always good to try to carry less…

The same filter screw for SEM 21, LUX 50 and CRON 28, is very attractive, yes!

I like a lot, to shoot in the street at the “blue hour”, or low light conditions. The fact, is the main use of my Summilux 50mm, because of that, is very attractive for me, the same aperture (1,4) with widest focal distance (28mm)

My camera is the M-E. I will upgrade after to resolve this! 

Edited by CHAVES

As former Summicron and current Summilux 28 user (on M240)my feel is that new lens offers more than extra stop for indoor/poor light situations. When shooting outdoors in good light I usually stop down to f5.6 of f8, again I feel new lens has upper hand in image quality.

New Summilux is bigger and heavier but overall feel and mechanical finish is superior to Summicron, if Summicron was available with new style screw-in lens hood than old one would be neater and a bit more user friendly lens. There are other threads here where alternative hoods for Summicron is discussed at length, original is real cludge in handling and use, I hardly used original due to bulk and poor fitting.

I agree with you! The Summicron should be upgraded to the new style screw-in lens hood. Leica could use the 12465 hood on Summicron 28mm...

I had the new Summilux 28mm for few minutes in Leica Store Mayfair and the sensation on camera was good! (Weight and size). Excellent construction also!

Thank you!

Edited by CHAVES

My new 28mm Summilux is fantastic in every way and has the same magic as my 50mm lux chrom.  While they both weigh about the same the 28mm feels bulkier and heavier - it's about as big as I would tolerate on the M240 - but the beautiful images it produces make up for the bulk and weight.

• Like 1

No experience with the 28mm Summilux, but I use the 28mm Summicron together with the 50mm Summilux ASPH. I find the two to have very similar rendering (especially at low f numbers). They are complementary to each other (one narrow, the other wide, but with similar drawing). I never use hoods, and I rarely have problems (there is a B+W filter up front on each), so size is actually very nice and manageable. But, if you must have 1.4 in a 28, then the summilux is the only option. 

• Like 2

+2

• Like 1

"I love the 21mm for architectural shots as I say, but is not faster enough, for shooting internal spaces, when there is not possibility of using tripod, like museums, temples, galleries, for example."

As above you love 21 SEM but not FASTER enough in your architectural shots, so I suggest you should try one of 21 Summilux or 24 Summilux before buying 28 Summicron or new 28 Summilux, I think 24 Summilux will be the best choice for you in my opinion because of its sharpest lens, ultra-wide range and invisible distortion for people shots with cheaper price too.

• Like 1

Everyone has different needs, priorities and preferences.  Unlike you, I find the 35mm focal length (a Summicron ASPH) very different from a 50mm (Summilux ASPH), and use both in addition to a 28mm lens (Summicron ASPH).  I'd give up the 28 before the other two (except when it was my main lens on the cropped M8.2...equivalent to 37mm FOV).  

Whatever works for you....it shouldn't be a survey.

Jeff

• Like 2

If you are not wedded to the rangefinder experience, there are several Sony cameras that offer in-body image stabilisation.  This gives you an extra stop or three, if you are not able to use a tripod. The fast Leica lenses are not really suitable for architectural photography (field curvature, CA, etc).  The slower ones are.  Yes, you do get some blur at wider apertures in the very corners, but you get more usable shots, particularly at night, than you would without the extra technology and a faster lens.

• Like 1

If you are not wedded to the rangefinder experience, there are several Sony cameras that offer in-body image stabilisation.  This gives you an extra stop or three, if you are not able to use a tripod. The fast Leica lenses are not really suitable for architectural photography (field curvature, CA, etc).  The slower ones are.  Yes, you do get some blur at wider apertures in the very corners, but you get more usable shots, particularly at night, than you would without the extra technology and a faster lens.

Stuff Sony, just get Nikon Df with Nikkor 28mm f1.8 AFS, hang a minute, I forgot, this is Leica forum.
  • Like 1

I am an architect and photographer.

So why don't you own a tripod, a simple device that would gain you credibility and allow you to use a deeper depth of field, and longer shutter speeds, in your architectural photography? I mean what did shallow DOF at f/1.4 ever do for architecture other than make it appear 'artistic'?

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1