30-90 zoom: first impressions

Manolo Laguillo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now the lower right corner, 100% crop, of that very same photo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

And now the lower right corner of the same view, again at f.8, but made with the Summarit 70 mm:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

The same happens with the other 3 corners, both with the 70 fixed focal length and the 30-90 at 70 mm, therefore I refrain from uploading them.

Ok, the difference is big, but let's take into account that these are the extreme corners, which can be a little fuzzy because often they are in the foreground or background and out of focus anyway, as is the case in many portrait settings.

BTW, the Summarit 70 renders at f.2.5 equally well at the corners then at the very center!

I have looked at my corners and find that there is only a minimally loss of sharpness as illustrated below...

Perhaps you should send your lens back for Leica to adjust or replace...

Albert

I sent Leica a few RAW's from a comparison between zoom @70mm and 70mm prime and asked for their opinion,but I'm not the only one who has found the zoom lacking at the edges.

Edited by RVB
  • Like 1

The same happens with the other 3 corners, both with the 70 fixed focal length and the 30-90 at 70 mm, therefore I refrain from uploading them.

Ok, the difference is big, but let's take into account that these are the extreme corners, which can be a little fuzzy because often they are in the foreground or background and out of focus anyway, as is the case in many portrait settings.

BTW, the Summarit 70 renders at f.2.5 equally well at the corners then at the very center!

Filled curvature can influence corners but I did shoot some 3d scenes and the Zoom never matched the prime,I will keep the Zoom for its versatility.

Rob

• Like 1

You would hope that the lens performs a bit better having such a slow aperture and such a stellar price. 

Or they should have made it just a 30-65mm lens and make it a bit more compact. 

It's just that the zooms Leica made for the R range were 'better' than this and I'd have expected more from Leica to be honest. Especially if you look at how very GOOD if not stellar the primes are for the S series. 

• Like 1

Filled curvature can influence corners but I did shoot some 3d scenes and the Zoom never matched the prime,I will keep the Zoom for its versatility.

Rob

The 30-90 is a wonderful lens, of course, I do no regret buying it.

As said, given the top quality it delivers from 30 to 60 (= 24 to 48 mm in FF), which are the focal lengths I do need, I am absolutely happy with it. It's fantastic to change from 30 to 45 or 60 mm, and back, in seconds! The Leica S itself + any S lens is heavy enough when working outside (that's what I do), therefore having only one lens is fantastic.

I consider the 65 to 90 range (52 to 72 mm in FF) as a bonus: it's good to have these focal lengths, knowing in advance where the faults can arise when using them.

We must remember: the quality at the center und surroundings (80% of the picture) in this 65 to 90 range is still really excellent, therefore cropping would be ok. I mean, I would accept without hesitation the results of cropping photos taken with the 90 focal length of this zoom to a 16:9 proportion.

The desert picture of albertknappmd is a good example of this, I would say.

Edited by Manolo Laguillo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After posting the pictures you can find in my previous posts in this thread, I was contacted by Leica Wetzlar because they thought the loss of sharpness at the corners was excessive.

They suggested an exchange of my Vario Elmar 30-90 unit, and arranged everything so that in a couple of days I received a new zoom at no cost.

And indeed, the detail rendering of this unit at the corners between 60mm and 90mm is way much better. From 30mm to 55mm it delivers the same fantastic quality as the first unit.

Now I have a new unit of this lens.

Bravo, Leica, for this top quality customer service!

It was a good idea starting this thread, and posting those pictures...

Edited by Manolo Laguillo
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...