30-90 zoom: first impressions

Manolo Laguillo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 30-90 arrived today, and I did make some photos with it.

I will conduct a comparison between it and the 30 and 70 fixed lengths optics.

But I can tell you now the following:

1. It is a surprisingly compact lens, the weight is ok, and when on the body everything is well balanced and easy to hold. It will sound strange, but I have a better feeling with it than with the 30 mm, being the 30 lighter and a bit smaller.

2. Regarding how the details are rendered, the quality from the center to the corners is vey good on the wide side (30 to 55 mm).

3. On the long side (70 to 90 mm) the center is still very good, but the corners are not that good.

4. The LR profile is able to correct the moustache geometrical aberration that happens when on 30 mm to an extent of 9/10. That's enough for nearly everything IMO, except for the most demanding copy work.

I'm very happy with the lens!

It was a very good decision ordering it.

It is an expensive thing, but the S and it match very well.

PS. f.3.5 to f.5.6 is ok for me: I usually work at f.8 or f.11.

• Like 6

I have the lens since April and am satisfied with the results. However, the focal length ring has quite soon become a bit lose. The front part of the lens sometimes slides out when I hold the camera with my right hand.

That could be tightened by Leica Germany, my rep says, but the ring would also remain tougher to handle.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After nearly two weeks of using the 30-90 I'm quite sure: from 30 to, say, 60 mm the detail is 'very good' to 'excellent' on the corners.

But from 65 to 90 mm the detail on the corners can be quite poor. Depending on the circumstances this don't need to be a problem, because those corners are really the corners of the corners :-). 

On the center (75% of the image) the detail is simply overwhelming, from 30 to 90 mm.

I can't see any reason (apart as having it as an expensive back-up) for keeping the 30mm. The max. aperture of it is only 2/3 more than the 30 on the 30-90 zoom (3.5 vs 2.8).

The 70 mm is another story. At that focal length the zoom behaves at a max. aperture of f.5.2. The fixed focal lens has a max. aperture of f.2.5, and the quality till the corners is really excellent.

Besides, the 70 mm lens is quite small and light, so that I would not part with it.

After nearly two weeks of using the 30-90 I'm quite sure: from 30 to, say, 60 mm the detail is 'very good' to 'excellent' on the corners.

But from 65 to 90 mm the detail on the corners can be quite poor. Depending on the circumstances this don't need to be a problem, because those corners are really the corners of the corners :-). 

On the center (75% of the image) the detail is simply overwhelming, from 30 to 90 mm.

I can't see any reason (apart as having it as an expensive back-up) for keeping the 30mm. The max. aperture of it is only 2/3 more than the 30 on the 30-90 zoom (3.5 vs 2.8).

The 70 mm is another story. At that focal length the zoom behaves at a max. aperture of f.5.2. The fixed focal lens has a max. aperture of f.2.5, and the quality till the corners is really excellent.

Besides, the 70 mm lens is quite small and light, so that I would not part with it.

I have both these lenses,I agree with your verdict on the Zoom but I wouldn't sell the 30mm,mine is far better at the edges and 2/3 of a stop is still quite a bit when you in low light.

Rob

I have looked at my corners and find that there is only a minimally loss of sharpness as illustrated below...

Perhaps you should send your lens back for Leica to adjust or replace...

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by albertknappmd
  • Like 4

here it is again

I see on my Mac this on the right hand side of the image. Is there any more to see in the original?

No server screw up. You could not see the right side of the image you had posted, so I re-posted the rightmost slice of your image. I would think that you should click on the image you have posted earlier in order to see all of the image. You also might just use a wider screen. :)

• Like 1

Taken with the 30-90 at 46mm, f.11, whole picture first:

• Like 1

Now the lower right corner of that same photo, at 100%:

Sharpening was Amount 60, Radius 0,5, Detail 50, Masking 23.

• Like 1

Again a picture with the 30-90, but this time at 70 mm, f.8. No sharpening