Battery options

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

For those looking to get more batteries for the Q, here are some compatible options that are cheaper than the Leica rebranded and overpriced ones:

1. BP-DC12 which is also the battery used in the Leica VLUX4

2. DMW-BLC12 which is the battery used in the Panasonic DMC-FZ200

Both are identical except for the branding - 7.2V, 1200 mAh, 8.7Wh Li-ion

This seller has the cheapest prices at the moment €49,99 + €1,99 shipping (I'm not affiliated in any way and neither do I make any money if you buy via this link) -> http://www.ebay.de/ulk/itm/281597024624

The seller is "Media Markt" which is a well known electronics chain here in Germany

The Q eats up batteries like a monster, looks like there is an urgent need to get the option to turn off the display screen and only use the EVF.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

For those looking to get more batteries for the Q, here are some compatible options that are cheaper than the Leica rebranded and overpriced ones:

This seller has the cheapest prices at the moment €49,99 + €1,99 shipping (I'm not affiliated in any way and neither do I make any money if you buy via this link) -> http://www.ebay.de/ulk/itm/281597024624

The seller is "Media Markt" which is a well known electronics chain here in Germany

The Q eats up batteries like a monster, looks like there is an urgent need to get the option to turn off the display screen and only use the EVF.

Thanks for this timely information. One of the two Leica Q batteries that I bought with the camera about 8 weeks ago failed completely last week and uncharacteristically I am having no luck in getting a reply from Leica Customer Service despite sending them three emails on this so far, ( trying to get them to replace the dead one ).

I will order one of the batteries you recommend as a replacement. I do have one Leica Q battery left, plus two Wasabi batteries that I bought before I left the US for France with the kit. The Wasabi's are so far behaving well, not bad for $29.00 USD for two batteries plus a charger....Unfortunately they are not sold here in Europe.

I agree with you, the Q's battery consumption is a problem. I consider four batteries being the minimum one needs to own, even if you don't go out with them all at one time.

Thanks for this timely information. One of the two Leica Q batteries that I bought with the camera about 8 weeks ago failed completely last week and uncharacteristically I am having no luck in getting a reply from Leica Customer Service despite sending them three emails on this so far, ( trying to get them to replace the dead one ).

I will order one of the batteries you recommend as a replacement. I do have one Leica Q battery left, plus two Wasabi batteries that I bought before I left the US for France with the kit. The Wasabi's are so far behaving well, not bad for $29.00 USD for two batteries plus a charger....Unfortunately they are not sold here in Europe.

I agree with you, the Q's battery consumption is a problem. I consider four batteries being the minimum one needs to own, even if you don't go out with them all at one time.

You're welcome mate, happy this info was useful to you

Actually while searching for other options too I found these on Amazon.fr:

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00IHZ2YOK

It seems to be exactly the same piece of kit as the Wasabi batteries and charger I bought in the US and have used since without any problems so far.......and are cheap enough to act as a "reserve" until I get the dead Leica one replaced......the extra charger that can stay in the car won't come amiss either.

Edited by Guest

Hey guys,

Hi....Mediamarkt won't ship to the UK and the only batteries I can seem to find are the the DMW-BLC12E. I think these are ID recorded so won't work in a Q.

Can anyone confirm they are using the 'E' version of the DMW-BLC512 in the Q successfully?

I recently bought these from Amazon France, but they're also sold on the UK site, see this link. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ChiliPower-DMW-BLC12-DMW-BLC12E-DMW-BLC12PP-Ladegerät/dp/B00IHZ2YOK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444031047&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=chilipower+dmw+bloc+12

So far so good, they seem to be the same as the Wasabi batteries I bought in the U.S. And the Wasabi have been just fine these past couple of months or so, ( while one Leica Q battery died completely ). The charger works well too with the added advantage of working off of a car 12v outlet, something the Leica charger doesn't.

Again, so far no problems at all with either the Chilipower or the Wasabi batteries, they last as long maybe even longer that the Leica ones and the battery condition icon seems to read accurately enough on the Q with them.

Frankly at this price for two batteries and a charger it's worth giving it a toss.......and as most people are finding out even two batteries with the Q are barely enough to go out with.

Thanks for the heads up, but just a word of caution for UK readers - from the amazon.co.uk link it is not clear whether the charger comes with a UK or an EU plug.

Thanks for the heads up, but just a word of caution for UK readers - from the amazon.co.uk link it is not clear whether the charger comes with a UK or an EU plug.

Images clearly show a European plug although sometimes Amazon UK insist that third party suppliers include a UK  adaptor to comply with legislation.  The EU style plug is very useful for travel in Europe and beyond, but you don't need an adaptor since your Leica charger cable (or any similar style cable) can be used with this charger.  Furthermore, you don't need the charger since your Leica charger will work perfectly well with these batteries.  

As far as registering correct charge when you put the battery in your camera, the bar indication system is meaningless.  It doesn't indicate anything more than a rough percentage charge remaining.  These batteries have slightly more capacity than the OEM batteries, but the indicator cannot tell you if you have more shots left with this battery or with the Leica original.  You'll only be able to tell by monitoring the number of shots taken and getting experience of the battery's performance, and that is only a rough indication because we all use our cameras differently.  These batteries are worth getting but not worth eulogising over.    I have sourced equivalent 1800 mah from an EBay uk supplier. They also work well.

Edited by lucerne

Hi....Mediamarkt won't ship to the UK and the only batteries I can seem to find are the the DMW-BLC12E. I think these are ID recorded so won't work in a Q.

Can anyone confirm they are using the 'E' version of the DMW-BLC512 in the Q successfully?

Stop panicking.    The non E designated  PA08 and PA09 batteries offered by EBay seller Ahkin-Digital  or Super-cheap-city on EBay Uk are perfect.  They have higher capacity than the original Leica battery.  Currently on offer at £16.98 for two and free fast postage.  

I've been using these for two months.

Edited by lucerne

Stop panicking.    The non E designated  PA08 and PA09 batteries offered by EBay seller Ahkin-Digital  or Super-cheap-city on EBay Uk are perfect.  They have higher capacity than the original Leica battery.  Currently on offer at £16.98 for two and free fast postage.  

I've been using these for two months.

Not panicking, just asking the question, which hasn't been answered.

But thanks for the other ebay suggestions.

• Like 1

Right, as Lucerne humorously pointed out, there's no need to panic!

We're lucky that the Q has a good many third party battery options that all seem to work as well as, sometimes better than, the Leica batteries and many are cheap enough not to worry if their useful life may not be as good as the Leica's.

I only wish such options were readily available for the M240 or the MM, I've yet to find good third party batteries for those cameras.

Right, as Lucerne humorously pointed out, there's no need to panic!

We're lucky that the Q has a good many third party battery options that all seem to work as well as, sometimes better than, the Leica batteries and many are cheap enough not to worry if their useful life may not be as good as the Leica's.

I only wish such options were readily available for the M240 or the MM, I've yet to find good third party batteries for those cameras.

Yup, nothing like putting a fizzing time bomb in your £3k camera or £5.5k in your case.  :)

The Wasabi batteries and charger sold in the US come with an adapter that converts the US style plug built into the charger to a two prog EU style plug.  I don't know if Amazon UK sells the same, but I'd suspect so.

I've had very good luck with Wasabi batteries/chargers with other gear in the the past so purchased the kit for my Q, too.   Now all I need is the Q I ordered 3 months ago so I can get some use out of the batteries.

Guest jvansmit

Interesting how we have differing experiences. I have a mid-June Q, and while I thought that the battery life was short in the first few weeks, I now think it's significantly better than my old M9 so can happily live with it. The performance has improved noticeably now that my 3 batteries have recycled many times since early June, and I've never had to use the third battery even when walking around street-shooting for 9-12 hours. I rarely use the LCD, and OIS is switched off so maybe that helps.

Interesting how we have differing experiences. I have a mid-June Q, and while I thought that the battery life was short in the first few weeks, I now think it's significantly better than my old M9 so can happily live with it. The performance has improved noticeably now that my 3 batteries have recycled many times since early June, and I've never had to use the third battery even when walking around street-shooting for 9-12 hours. I rarely use the LCD, and OIS is switched off so maybe that helps.

Yes I think you could have a good point here, I too have had my Q for about the same period of time and battery life does seem to have edged up a bit with the increased charging cycles, ( apart from the one Leica battery that died completely a few weeks back, Leica is replacing it ). And yes again, the Q's battery life is better than my M9 / MM.

I too rarely use the LCD, and I've never found use or reason for the image stabilization. I like to have the camera in "standby mode" pretty much all the time when out with it so I don't yet get the run time that you say you get, but maybe it's creeping up some. Hopefully with the first firmware, ( overdue ), upgrade Leica will make more LCD/EVF optional functions available which will only help with battery conservation, ie: I'd be able to use the Voigtlander 28mm OVF with all electronic  viewers off, that would be a good option for me, I really like using the Q with that OVF.

I have bought, charged and used  DMW-BLC12E in my Q without any issues so far... 

I read somewhere its a battery for the European market "E", without "E" for us market, please  correct me if I am wrong

Out of curiosity has anyone tried some of these 3rd party batteries to the Panasonic, apparently they have the same specs and very cheap. 

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-DMW-BLC12-Panasonic-DMC-FZ200-DMC-FZ1000/dp/B005IHAZNM

We've known for months that that one of the Panasonic cameras shared a battery specification with the Leica Q.    That generic battery will work fine. They probably sold thousands to Panasonic users.  . Its just one of many generic versions of BLC12.  That particular one advertised on Amazon  US  is not available to the UK but similar generic  BLC12 are.  There's no real problem with any BLC12.  Just find one with a high mAH rating. 1400-1800mAH seem to be available.

Edited by lucerne