Sending away for a fix/customisation, form help + Cost

KallumR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am forced to send my new Leica M8 away after only 1 week with it for repairs as I have noticed 12 dead pixels from ISO 320 and up.

I also thought while it was over in Germany I would add an engraving. All I want is the classic Leica script and LEICA CAMERA AG GERMANY on the top left.

This demonstrates it perfectly: 

http://www.mir.com.m...aMP-Titan_d.jpg ) 

However I am unsure on how to display my requirements on the form that Leica requests you send with them. The only option is 'customization' with no ability to write what I want. Specifying for the repairs needed are fine I just cant tell where I say what I want for the engraving. 

Also, anyone who has had a similar CCD correction or engraving know what the cost is?

AND do I simply box up my camera, put the form inside and ship it to Leica Camera AG / Customer Care / Am Leitz-Park 5 / D-35578 Wetzlar /Germany?

Sorry but the Leica website is awfully brief.

Thank you all

(note: this was originally posted on the customer thread but no one replied) 

Nothing stops you from adding a letter with your request, but do e-mail them as well. The cost of such an engraving might cause you to change your mind. Best is always communication by telephone and confirm in writing.

An engraving will also add considerably to the turnaround time, as CS has not got engraving machines and it has to be slotted into the production process as a special. We may assume all production facilities to be maxed out right now with the new models being produced.

To be honest, I do not think it is worth the cost and bother on a camera that will be phasing out of serviceability in the coming years, although Leica will support it as well as they can as long as parts do not run out. The price  will not be in  proportion to the value of the camera either.

Just get your pixels done and enjoy the photography - which is really good.