Original Monochrom corrosion issues

Acekerman

• 2 weeks later...

yes, I had to sent mine to Leica US and the sensor was changed on warranty.

replacement of the sensor and return of the camera took less than 3 weeks

Edited by esquire53

• 5 weeks later...

There is still no permanent solution for the Monochrome yet. Just a free replacement with a sensor that will eventually corrode again and be replaced (again for free) with one that features a permanent solution. So no hurry to get the MM sensor replaced, better to wait until the permanent solution will be available.

No sensors, even the old ones.

So last year I sent in my M Monochrom for spots on the sensor, and it was returned to me supposedly repaired (cleaning of sensor, not replacement).  It was better, but the exact same spot returned in the same place in just a few months, and back it went again to Leica New Jersey this past July, with a promise of sensor replacement by September 30.

Needless to say, September 30 has come and gone, and now I'm told there will be no new sensors for the Monochrom until January 2016.  More than a year to fix a defective sensor is just m,much longer than I am willing to wait, and since I don't want or care about any of the improvements in the new model, I shouldn't have to pay for an upgrade.

I spoke to Leica New Jersey this morning and the person who had been helping me (Roxanna Lynch) said she will talk to management about the situation and should have an answer next week.  If that answer isn't a replacement sensor or a replacement camera, I will then write a letter to HQ in Germany and demand either repair or replacement from them.

This is beyond frustrating.

I have had the same problem with almost the same dates. I am now nearing the 5 month mark with my M9 Monochrom in the que in New Jersey. A couple of days ago I had a very cordial e-mail exchange with Roxanna and she told me that NJ currently did not have any replacement sensors and that I could look to January... potentially for the work to be completed.

I'll watch this thread for your response from Germany.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had the same problem with almost the same dates. I am now nearing the 5 month mark with my M9 Monochrom in the que in New Jersey. A couple of days ago I had a very cordial e-mail exchange with Roxanna and she told me that NJ currently did not have any replacement sensors and that I could look to January... potentially for the work to be completed.

I'll watch this thread for your response from Germany.

My new M Monochrom (CCD) shipped yesterday.

I wouldn't expect the same at the five month mark though, as my camera originally went in way back in October 2014 and had been waiting for more than a year.

A year... A YEAR...

Thats not right.

What is bothersome for me is that I have been without the camera for for 5 months with the prospect of 7 months out. I would have welcomed an accurate estimate of the repair time from leica NJ. Initially I was promoused the camera back in September... then when that date passed was told it would be available before Thanksgiving (November)... and now it looks like I'll see the new year in without. I could shoot it wide open with out too much problem or could fraim the shots knowing that I would lose some of the image. It is the poor communication that is really a problem. Now likely Leica NJ did not know about the delivery dates for replacement sensors... I was more than willing to take an old one... and said so.

Well... I have a Nikon that chugs along.

A year... A YEAR...

Thats not right.

What is bothersome for me is that I have been without the camera for for 5 months with the prospect of 7 months out. I would have welcomed an accurate estimate of the repair time from leica NJ. Initially I was promoused the camera back in September... then when that date passed was told it would be available before Thanksgiving (November)... and now it looks like I'll see the new year in without. I could shoot it wide open with out too much problem or could fraim the shots knowing that I would lose some of the image. It is the poor communication that is really a problem. Now likely Leica NJ did not know about the delivery dates for replacement sensors... I was more than willing to take an old one... and said so.

Well... I have a Nikon that chugs along.

It was sent in October 14 and returned December 15 "cleaned", with the corrosion not diagnosed.  It went back in July 15 and was not due for return with a new sensor until January 16 or later.  So yes, a year since I originally sent it in.

My M-E sensor was replaced in three months (with the old sensor type).

My Monochrom has sensor corrosion, but not to a degree that it affects my images.  My plan is to keep shooting with it until the re-designed Monochrom sensor is released.  At that time I can, hopefully, arrange for replacement when Leica NJ has them available.  

Edited by Luke_Miller

Luke,

That is what I would have done. When I contacted Leica I origanally had a return date of about 30 days and so I sent the camera in for replacement. Then I was told it would be 3 months at least and now I'm looking at 7.

My Monochrom has sensor corrosion, but not to a degree that it affects my images.  My plan is to keep shooting with it until the re-designed Monochrom sensor is released.  At that time I can, hopefully, arrange for replacement when Leica NJ has them available.

Me, too. I have a corrosion blob on the sensor that only shows up when I stop down to f/11 or higher in bright sunlight, which is pretty rare this time of year in Seattle. I can wait for the replacement MM sensor to be sorted before sending the camera in for repair.

Luke,

That is what I would have done. When I contacted Leica I origanally had a return date of about 30 days and so I sent the camera in for replacement. Then I was told it would be 3 months at least and now I'm looking at 7.

That's really unfortunate.  When I sent my M9 in - 30 days is what it took, but I got the "old" sensor.  Sounds as though Leica has run out of the old Monochrom sensor and replacement now awaits arrival of the new one.

I have just bought my CCD Monochrome last week from B&H, and today I found that my CCD got the corrosion problem, then I called Leica Los Angeles and they told me the replacement might be finished at the beginning of 2016 (after reading this thread I realize they were mentioning the replacement of old CCD). After some search work on Internet was done, I know that there has no new CCD sensor yet, so I decide to continue shooting with my camera and wait the permanent solution is available.

There is still no permanent solution for the Monochrome yet. Just a free replacement with a sensor that will eventually corrode again and be replaced (again for free) with one that features a permanent solution. So no hurry to get the MM sensor replaced, better to wait until the permanent solution will be available.

Is that confirmed/correct? I thought it was just the sensor cover glass that was the problem and that Leica has now developed a permanent solution?

This should be the same for the MM as for the other M9-based bodies?

I saw Leica's news that the replacement of MM's should begin 'shortly' but assumed the delay was due to sourcing more MM sensors, rather than extending the permanent fix to the MM?

Sorry for anyone waiting so long in any case, couldn't imagine waiting so long, life is too short to let a year pass by.

Is that confirmed/correct? I thought it was just the sensor cover glass that was the problem and that Leica has now developed a permanent solution?

This should be the same for the MM as for the other M9-based bodies?

I saw Leica's news that the replacement of MM's should begin 'shortly' but assumed the delay was due to sourcing more MM sensors, rather than extending the permanent fix to the MM?

It was the cover glass that was the problem. Leica (or its vendor) developed a fix and made the new M9 sensors. For some reason, the new sensor for the Monochrom is taking longer. I don't know if it's a technical hitch, or simply getting them manufactured. There ought to be some economies of scale for that - the MM started out as a niche product, but ended up selling multiples of what Leica thought it might.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, one of my first post here, does any one know how often the sensor corrosion problem shows up? I understand that any of the CCD sensors can potentially be affected, but is there yet a percent % number yet?

I own an M-E and recently bought a CCD Monochrom, so far very happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...