Would a Full Frame body work with existing T lenses

can-photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hypothetically speaking, if there is a new camera with full frame body that accepts T lenses, why wouldn't the existing T lenses (say 23mm) won't work as full frame? 

Technically what does a lens have in order to accommodate the full frame body? I thought it was on the camera body rather the lens. I understand the autofocus and manual to be on the lens, but not sure about the FF.

• Like 1

Hi Certen.

Welcome to the forum, it's a nice place.

For any lens to "work" on any format size, it must have sufficient "coverage area". That is the lens must produce an acceptable image over the entire film )or sensor) size, plus a little. And sensor size is obviously measured across the diagonal.

While many will say they won't, it would be interesting to see what this coverage is actually like with the T lenses, especially the 23mm.

Gary

It's big enough for APS-C and I don't see why Leica would upgrade the T to full frame in a future model. Bigger (fullframe) is not always better, it really depends on your application. If you like macro photography a 4/3s camera is nice because you can get close with a large aperture, but retain a large/deep depth of field. Just to name a positive side effect of having a smaller than full frame sensor. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's big enough for APS-C and I don't see why Leica would upgrade the T to full frame in a future model. Bigger (fullframe) is not always better, it really depends on your application. If you like macro photography a 4/3s camera is nice because you can get close with a large aperture, but retain a large/deep depth of field. Just to name a positive side effect of having a smaller than full frame sensor. 

The mount is certainly large enough.  Sony's E mount is smaller than Leica's T mount, and they offer both APS-C and full frame bodies and lenses, with the full frame bodies going into crop mode when APS-C lenses are fitted.