Cases for the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the Arte Di Mano in Minerva Black with white stitching. Aventino grip and battery / SD compartment door. I love every aspect of the case. Perfect. I simply screw on an Arca Swiss plate when I want to use it on my tripod. Otherwise, the plate is in my bag and ready.

I have been using shoulder bags for years and decided to try something different, actually a sling bag

I bought the small lowepro streamline sling and it's very good

It goes over your back and the strap is across your chest, or you can wear it over the left shoulder.

You can also rotate it to take out or put in the camera whilst it is still securely strapped on.

Despite being very small it's extremely well designed. It has a compartment where you can fit an iPad or 10" laptop or papers. A compartment for the camera which just fits the Q with a leather half case and hand strap perfectly. A central compartment for plenty of knick knacks and another small zip compartment which I use for spare batteries and SD cards. And it has an external pouch which could fit a small water bottle or small tripod.

I was very cheap (£49) and is now a permanent part of my collection. I just used it on a short 4 day holiday and it also carried nurophen ;) a small book and passports.

Looks unassuming and too small to carry a DSLR so ignorable by other folk.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by colonel

• 1 year later...

My Q arrives in the morning.  Thanks for the many postings here, I have prepurchased the Leica half case, the little Flib Bit that attaches to it, the Thumbs Up trigger as well as a Gordy's large handstrap with the wrist pad.  I have been reticent to purchase any bag yet as I have a concern.  Most small bags are 4" in width and the camera, with the half case is 3.5".  Doing travel and walk around, I prefer to place the camera in the bag on its side with the right side pointing up with the wrist strap attached.  I have carried my Lumix GX1 like this and will do so with the Q.  I am worried that the far left side, top of the camera, will begin to show paint loss (rub marks) when it is constantly placed in and out of the bag.  I am therefore looking for something in the 4.5" range.  The only thing I can find is the Think Tank Retropsectve 5 and for some reason, it just isn't me.  I will continue to monitor this post and see what shakes.  I really wanted the Billingham Digital, but I think it might be too tight.  Thanks, first post, just joined.  I have learned a lot from lurking.

Edited by falcon468

I carry my Q on the side in a backpack which has a Domke padded liner. It works well for me. I put gaffers tape on the top and edges where I'm concerned about scratches or wear. I have an Arte Di Mano half case and I love it. Super high quality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am worried that the far left side, top of the camera, will begin to show paint loss (rub marks) when it is constantly placed in and out of the bag.

In my opinion that adds personality to the camera. Let's face it Leica cameras look quite nice wth the paint rubbed off here and there. So much so that Leica even releassed an M version with the paint weathered.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Check out the Lowepro S&F Utility Bag 100 AW - 8"x7"x4" (very compact) + separate Canon Neoprene Soft Shoulder Neck Strap (very comfy). $40.

Used with Artisan & Artist Acam-295 wrist strap (very comfy & secure). Slides in & out easily from top of bag (very secure between shots). Bag top remains closed even when unzipped. Accommodates charger / cables / batteries / filters / camera lens blower (travel ready). Even includes attached but concealed weather cover (weather proof).

This hard to beat assortment contributes very positively to the Leica Q feel good experience. Almost worth getting a Q for the bag...

Check out the Lowepro S&F Utility Bag 100 AW - 8"x7"x4" (very compact) + separate Canon Neoprene Soft Shoulder Neck Strap (very comfy). $40.

Used with Artisan & Artist Acam-295 wrist strap (very comfy & secure). Slides in & out easily from top of bag (very secure between shots). Bag top remains closed even when unzipped. Accommodates charger / cables / batteries / filters / camera lens blower (travel ready). Even includes attached but concealed weather cover (weather proof).

This hard to beat assortment contributes very positively to the Leica Q feel good experience. Almost worth getting a Q for the bag...

Does it fit with the lens hood attached ?

For those who don't like half-cases but want the smallest possible super high quality bag for the Q take a look at Billingham 72:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388289-REG/billingham_bl500102_01_72_camera_bag_black.html

I have this bag and it fits the Q with attached lens hood and Leica grip perfectly. Also it's great that there is no noisy velcro, and camera is 100% safe in rain (without having to wrap it in additional covers etc).

By the way, I also have the Billingham small which is perfect when I want to take a few other things with my Q (ie my Leica D-Lux 109, or Leica tabletop tripod).

Edited by tgdinamo
  • Like 2

Does it fit with the lens hood attached ?

Yes it does.

Sorry, would have attached earlier had I known how...

Edited by jut81
  • Like 1

The Arte di Mano half case for the Q.  The fit is very good and the leather has a nice feel. 

Here is the case nearly 3 years later.  The leather has darkened nicely and taken on a lovely patina.  Functionally it is as new.  One time where I'm glad I ordered what I really wanted.

• Like 1

I bought the Leica half case when I purchased the camera, but have just ordered the Arte di Mano half case with battery door, so I can use a tripod without removing the case. Beauport, how do you find the standard grip on the Arte di Mano? Do you use a Thumbs Up with it? Or no need?

I specifically orderd the Arte di Mano half-case from Korea to get the larger grip and I love it. Personal taste, but it with the Thumbs Up gives me lots of margin to securely hold the camera. I also got the battery door. Works great. No issues. Magnet holds it shut. I suppose after 20 years the leather will crack. No worries.

• Like 1

I bought the Leica half case when I purchased the camera, but have just ordered the Arte di Mano half case with battery door, so I can use a tripod without removing the case. Beauport, how do you find the standard grip on the Arte di Mano? Do you use a Thumbs Up with it? Or no need?

The grip on the case works well and I don't sense any need for additional support.  Holding and carrying the camera with the built in grip for me is quite secure.